Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

True dat...and once in awhile they get caught, like this police officer did, and the former Police Capt that came forward to reveal what the NYPD was doing against people of color.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:46 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
So what is the ultimate point that you're trying to get across SoBro? That the country should enslave white people for a while and see how we like it or what it will do to our character? Because that is all that the tone of your posts seem to convey. Any time anything about race comes up for that matter, not just this thread. So is that literally all you're trying to say? If so, then the massive chip on your shoulder will continue to do more harm than good in the long run if this is the kind of message you pass on to the youth in your life. And it saddens me that you choose to perpetuate these feelings.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
What I provided was not a "false arrest" report. Is that what you think is happening in the NYPD? It is a criminalization of entire generations of colored kids, all because, well they are poor and brown/black. A concerted effort to subjugate them, and then you blame them for not having a job or getting an education...they now all have records so what options do they have?

As for the Irish, they had a big advantage that Blacks did not: A: they were not bought and sold here in chains, and B: They easily are white.

And the basics of your conversation regarding cops is that "they are already tense" and "don't bait an angry bear." WTF are you talking about? They are paid to protect and serve, not attack and incarcerate as many brown/blacks as they can to meet quotas. It sounds to me like you are making cops the victims here, and the people should really stay out of their way and "use some street smarts and fade into the background" and "make myself very scarce when I see a cop." What is this Iran? So now it's blacks fault for not hiding whenever they see a cop!

Holy Smokes!
I dont think so. I do agree though but eariler on when the Irish settled in the U.S they did not have advantages as many freed blacks and wasps natives. Even here in NYC during the 19th century blacks were paid more then Irish regular basis however much business men opted for Irish becauuse they are cheap labor just like the Mexicans of now. Even reading an excerpt from Howard Zinn on how the Irish were treated down south. One southerner in Jim Crow land even said he prefer to hire blacks then those heathens across the ocean. The only thing that saved the Irish was white social engineering after world war 2 which is roughly 65 years ago, not a longtime historically. Prior to world War 2 and before many Irish used to abandon the Roman Catholic Church favor American protestism in order to advance in local society, but with social engeneeing that practice came to an end. Not that Im no rascist and Im also 1/8 Irish and have a Scots Irish last name, I have alot of love for the Irish.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 PM

Available: My only point is to keep people from wasting time and energy deflecting from the real issues. If you want to complain about blacks being this or that, let's do that, but if you want to have a constructive conversation, we should be addressing the underlying cause and not the symptoms. It's about peeling back the onion and getting to the real answers, but for many people it's just easier to blame and ridicule than to think and understand.

As for me, the only chip on my shoulder is a lack of critical thinking skills by people in general, which applies to many topics on here. Discussing the real issues and understanding the truth about our society yesterday, today, and tomorrow is nothing to be sad about...passing on knowledge, whether that knowledge touches on good or bad issues, should be encouraged.

The more we can have real conversations about ourselves and our society, the better we can work towards real solutions and improving the lives of everyone. Hiding behind the "we live in a meritocracy" lie, and "the past doesn't matter" line only serves to keep us blind to the truth. That is what I promote, and I hope others do the same.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM

288 posts, read 566,684 times
Institutional racism? What is that?

We have a black president who is enslaved to corporations and the financial industry just like every other white president before him. Equal opportunities for all! America is so post-racism, folks. You're so 2000 and late!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
You can spend your life understanding how (or promoting to others how) A got to Z. But, if you want to get to X and someone with huge disadvantages (like language and poverty) is already doing that and succeeding, you'd do better to copy them. Its theory versus practice.

Many cultural choices play into this. Putting a premium on the importance of education is one thing, but people cannot be effective parents as teenagers or at 20, 22. A parent trying to raise a child (or more than one) on her own does not stand much of a chance. Its as much as she can do to provide custiodial needs (food, shelter, clothes and cleanliness). But meeting children's custodial needs isn't parenting, its just the mandatory minimum, more like guardianship. Parenting barely occurs when people are just trying to survive. But when you have one or more kids without being in a stable relationship, or without having been earning for a few years to build up experience of the world and people, all you end up doping is trying to survive. Add one or more kids and the situation gets inordinately harder. On top of that, it hasn';t been a mystery for a long time now how you get babies, so no excuse there.

Each generation of new children that endures this has been failed by their parents. A few individuals have the psychological resources to get out, but most do not and cannot. It requires a cultural change from within, and not waiting on some other group to change their culture.

Look at the no. of single unmarried asian parents and their ages. Then look at asian educational success and average national asian incomes. They are no accident.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Available: My only point is to keep people from wasting time and energy deflecting from the real issues. If you want to complain about blacks being this or that, let's do that, but if you want to have a constructive conversation, we should be addressing the underlying cause and not the symptoms. It's about peeling back the onion and getting to the real answers, but for many people it's just easier to blame and ridicule than to think and understand.

As for me, the only chip on my shoulder is a lack of critical thinking skills by people in general, which applies to many topics on here. Discussing the real issues and understanding the truth about our society yesterday, today, and tomorrow is nothing to be sad about...passing on knowledge, whether that knowledge touches on good or bad issues, should be encouraged.

The more we can have real conversations about ourselves and our society, the better we can work towards real solutions and improving the lives of everyone. Hiding behind the "we live in a meritocracy" lie, and "the past doesn't matter" line only serves to keep us blind to the truth. That is what I promote, and I hope others do the same.

I think everyone knows how blacks were treated back in the day. What's done is done and it was terrible. The only way to move on is to move on. We already have affirmative action in many institutions and companies. There is literally nothing more that society can do for people. There comes a point where people need to start taking care of themselves. And this is not a racist view. It's an adult view.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:07 PM

Well what's done isn't done, and we can't move on..are you not listening????

Michael Daragjati, cop accused of racism-fueled false arrest, case prompts probe of NYPD policy

"A judge this week slammed Daragjati as "a blatant racist" after he was busted for violating a man's civil rights by fabricating charges against him.

"I fried another n-----," Daragjati crowed last April, according to a transcript of a phone conversation the feds intercepted while he was under investigation for insurance fraud.

Adams, a retired NYPD captain, said thousands of minorities have been swept into the criminal justice system, without justification, to meet illegal quotas.

Those stopped, he said, later find it difficult to get jobs or get accepted into college.

"We are criminalizing thousands of young people in New York City," Adams said. "What is it going to take before we realize this is a citywide problem?"

It is not what society can do for people, it is about what society needs to STOP doing towards people!!!!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
My point is that EVERY time people talk about poverty in NYC (and America in general), black people are the first group to be looked at and then people make the unfair comparison to immigrants "Oh they're able to come from poor countries and be successful here, why can't the blacks do it?". That's completely narrow thinking, it's not that cut and dry at all.

And cokatie, I'm sure you mean well but your response to SoBro's post (which was great, by the way) are missing some important details about why blacks have suffered for so long in this country. You keep saying "And we moved on" when if you look at the extra details, this country did not exactly move on from it's former racist policies, they just made more subtle ways of doing it.
Okay, to the first point. Please explain what's unfair about that comparison. Please. There's really no excuse why blacks can't be just as successful today. Don't reply talking about the society, the government, etc I don't want to hear it. I'm tired of the same 'I Have A Dream" sentiments. People from poorer countries learn our language + educated themselves on things they want to accomplish. No one is holding a bottle to their mouths asking them to succeed, (which I think some want for slavery to be honest.) People want an apology but you're not getting one. Why keep bring up something, that was unfortunate, but will never solve anything?

I'm not saying "move on/get over it" I'm saying acknowledge it and be better. Work harder, read more, innovate. I will not except 'They won't let us' or any other excuse people use. It's 2011 there's no one forcing black youths to drop out of school. Indulging in sexual acts with no/little education or career for income for the baby. Oh, I can just get welfare. . . is the mentality many have.

People have to aspire for themselves and by you typing on a forum about the 60's and/or slavery isn't going to change anything. No one cares, not even some in the communities you're trying to protect/save.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Would you please stop posting an article of a racist cop. We've gone over the fact that racism does and will continue to exist with some people in every facet of civilization for eternity. Please. Stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City