U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,174,402 times
Reputation: 662

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I think everyone knows how blacks were treated back in the day. What's done is done and it was terrible. The only way to move on is to move on. We already have affirmative action in many institutions and companies. There is literally nothing more that society can do for people. There comes a point where people need to start taking care of themselves. And this is not a racist view. It's an adult view.

No, the only way to move on is to truly face our past, which is something America has not done till this day. And you mention affirmative action as if that just cures everything...are you serious? Did you know the group of people who receive affirmative action the most are white women?

 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post

No, the only way to move on is to truly face our past, which is something America has not done till this day. And you mention affirmative action as if that just cures everything...are you serious? Did you know the group of people who receive affirmative action the most are white women?
Really? So when should I be expecting my freebies and unfair advantages?
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,174,402 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Really? So when should I be expecting my freebies and unfair advantages?
Aww, did I touch a nerve?...I put that information out there because people, automatically, assume that blacks are the main or only people who receive affirmative action, which is inaccurate.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Reputation: 4168
I guess nobody wants to read my article. It is not about 1 "racist" cop, it's about an entire system created to make sure people of certain groups fail. Why is that hard to understand? It's not about one cop getting caught, it's about the entire system that forces cops (in many cases) to target certain groups and essentially ruin the lives of entire generations of people. They are already starting off with records...how will they go to school, get a job, and do all the things we are complaining that they don't do....well now you know.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
Aww, did I touch a nerve?...I put that information out there because people, automatically, assume that blacks are the main or only people who receive affirmative action, which is inaccurate.
You made me feel like an idiot because obviously I don't know how to work the system! All I do is pay taxes!
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,928,273 times
Reputation: 7249
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I guess nobody wants to read my article. It is not about 1 "racist" cop, it's about an entire system created to make sure people of certain groups fail. Why is that hard to understand? It's not about one cop getting caught, it's about the entire system that forces cops (in many cases) to target certain groups and essentially ruin the lives of entire generations of people. They are already starting off with records...how will they go to school, get a job, and do all the things we are complaining that they don't do....well now you know.
I understand what you are saying and the rest should too. After all, the OP of this thread also started a thread entitled, "Ask a guy who was arrested by NYPD for sleeping with his leg resting on a seat anything," which detailed his own personal experience with exactly what you are talking about.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:27 PM
 
8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
Reputation: 4168
Trust me LI, you don't want to be poor or work the system. Life is better when you earn a living, no matter how meager it may seem.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:29 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,174,402 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
Okay, to the first point. Please explain what's unfair about that comparison. Please. There's really no excuse why blacks can't be just as successful today. Don't reply talking about the society, the government, etc I don't want to hear it. I'm tired of the same 'I Have A Dream" sentiments. People from poorer countries learn our language + educated themselves on things they want to accomplish. No one is holding a bottle to their mouths asking them to succeed, (which I think some want for slavery to be honest.) People want an apology but you're not getting one. Why keep bring up something, that was unfortunate, but will never solve anything?

I'm not saying "move on/get over it" I'm saying acknowledge it and be better. Work harder, read more, innovate. I will not except 'They won't let us' or any other excuse people use. It's 2011 there's no one forcing black youths to drop out of school. Indulging in sexual acts with no/little education or career for income for the baby. Oh, I can just get welfare. . . is the mentality many have.

People have to aspire for themselves and by you typing on a forum about the 60's and/or slavery isn't going to change anything. No one cares, not even some in the communities you're trying to protect/save.
If you read the second part of my post, you will see that I mention the psychological effects that black people went through for centuries. How can you compare a group of people that is moving to a new country taking advantage of the capitalist system therefore showing some optimism in this country to a group of people who've been in this country for centuries and suffered setback after setback therefore creating a very suspicious attitude towards this country? That makes no logical sense!!! Of course the former group is more likely to take advantage even if they suffer discrimination because they're looking at America in economic and social terms as an improvement. Compare that to the latter group where economically and socially, America has not been kind to them at all.

What really gets me is the "I don't wanna hear about society, the government"... WHAT?!!! Are you serious? If so, then you're purposely ignoring important facts to serve your argument. That's even worse than naive ignorance. Of course, people have to aspire or work harder, but there has to be a level playing field of OPPORTUNITIES.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Newark, NJ/BK
1,271 posts, read 2,174,402 times
Reputation: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You made me feel like an idiot because obviously I don't know how to work the system! All I do is pay taxes!
That's a good thing. Congratulations!! You're playing an important part to American society.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,629,990 times
Reputation: 14991
"No, the only way to move on is to truly face our past, which is something America has not done till this day."

You can maintain that position, but I think its more sentiment than anything else. Its not really going to help. Firstly, America washes its dirty laundry in public more than any other country - its not like the whole horrid history isn't already out there and publicaly available (whether people chose to ignore it or not). Compare that to official and collective denial in Japan, Turkey and many other countries. Secondly, if you look at places were things moved forward even in light of awful catastrophic things in living memory (like Northern Ireland and Rwanda), people are moving forward largely (not completely) without settling the accounts, extracting apologies and court transcripts of the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top