Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

The psychology of being a prisoner of the past (confusing your own here and now with the experiences of the past) is very strong in the type of arguments that njnykid puts forth. But it doesn't help you move forward. Those that embrace it continue to live it (see Israel and Palestine) and perpetuate it. Those who break from it have a much better chance of changing things for themselves and others.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
I agree..they do have a much better chance..it goes from 5% to 10%. That's double!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
I have to admit, that made me laugh.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
- Drugs? Ecstasy is absolute garbage in the north east right now, new york included. Nearly every pill going around right now is bunk and I suggest you avoid it. This isn't completely relevant but I felt it was important to know for those planning to experience the NYC nightlife.
Are you saying that the film "The Agony and the Ecstasy" was pure garbage? I never saw the whole thing, but I agree it seemed rather melodramatic, as did the book it was based on. I would hope that night life in a center of cinema like NY would have gone beyond a film like that.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:31 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Black Americans in inner city environments like NyC, Chicago, Detroit, etc have their own particular set of issues. Someone on here was comparing groups that deal with inner city generational poverty to the Chinese which is just utterly ridiculous. Two very different groups with their own unique set of issues. I think some people are trivializing it too much. How good are your odds going to be when your mom had you when she was a teenager, her mom was a crackhead, and your father doesn't even want to know you exist? It is proven that it is very very difficult to overcome some of these obstacles. The best way is to leave that environment which is what many Blacks are doing and continue to do. More power to them!!

Old 10-20-2011, 05:54 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Wow I'm not on for three days and I see 100 new comments... Only read the first few pages after I posted but some of the things I can take from this thread...

There are alot of ignorant, moronic and racist/prejudicial people on here... Heetseeker congratulations you are all of the above... FYI, if you do have the strong opinions that you clearly do not make any excuses for, then you really shouldn't be working in a school or anywhere with children... You may be part of the reason why despite our resources our educational system is in the toilets... And I am a teacher btw but i call a spade a spade...

Second off some of the most hilarious things I read on this discussion...

There's only 10,000 gang members in Brooklyn... oh wait you said this city... Nvm i'm gonna leave that one alone... Quick fun fact if you believe everything that the police and compstat put out then you should be removed from this cite and/or any website that encourages discussion because you will affect the IQ of the numerous posters that listen to you... The second most hilarious post I read on here was that there are no Mexican gangs in NYC there just clicks... Take it from someone who works in a school that is majority hispanic... There's plenty of Mexican gangs in my area let alone this city... Also MS-13 over here is not Salvadorian just like the Bloods over here aren't only Blacks... In areas like Bushwick, Williamsburg, East NY, Cypress Hills, etc. alot of the Bloods that you'll find are Puerto Rican...

Now in regards to Heetseeker's comments I think we should just regard him a troll and not respond to his idiotic baseless comments... Clearly, if we were to judge his race by his actions the way he judges a couple of young ignorant kids by theirs, we'd believe all white people are ignorant racists morons... Thank god the overwhelming majority of the people in this forum do not share in your stupidity...

Ok... now im done... Depending on the level of intelligence that follows in this thread, i'll debate whether or not to re-enter... Can we please refrain from black vs. white speech... I definitely agree with frenchy... there is way too much talk about this in what is supposed to be one of the most diverse cities in the world...

Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Anon1,

1. I never said MS-13 was strictly salvadorean. In fact what I said was quite different.

2. I admitted that I wasnt familiar with mexican gangs. I asked people to give me the names of them and posters proceeded to rattle off about a whole bunch of names of "gangs" that varied by neighborhoods. If that is not the definition of a clique I don't know what it is then. As of right now there is not one big gang that is identified with Mexicans here in nyc. If there is that is news to me. Most big gangs start off as small cliques or got formed out of a combo of smaller cliques and that was part of my point in that post.

3. I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 PM

39 posts, read 77,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Well what's done isn't done, and we can't move on..are you not listening????

Michael Daragjati, cop accused of racism-fueled false arrest, case prompts probe of NYPD policy

"A judge this week slammed Daragjati as "a blatant racist" after he was busted for violating a man's civil rights by fabricating charges against him.

"I fried another n-----," Daragjati crowed last April, according to a transcript of a phone conversation the feds intercepted while he was under investigation for insurance fraud.

Adams, a retired NYPD captain, said thousands of minorities have been swept into the criminal justice system, without justification, to meet illegal quotas.

Those stopped, he said, later find it difficult to get jobs or get accepted into college.

"We are criminalizing thousands of young people in New York City," Adams said. "What is it going to take before we realize this is a citywide problem?"

It is not what society can do for people, it is about what society needs to STOP doing towards people!!!!
Wow. I was completely unaware of that quote by an NYPD captain. Great post, makes complete sense.

If you are a young male that appears between the ages of 16-25, that generally walks around urban neighborhoods or appears to have any hint of urban fashion going on...You are completely *****ED against the NYPD. And if you're a minority to boot?

Lol, good freakin' luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Are you saying that the film "The Agony and the Ecstasy" was pure garbage? I never saw the whole thing, but I agree it seemed rather melodramatic, as did the book it was based on. I would hope that night life in a center of cinema like NY would have gone beyond a film like that.
I know this is a little off topic. But the Agony and Ecstasy is a film or play that shows Steve Jobs in a negative light. The film is being showen at the public theater in the east village. Im going to purchase a ticket and catch it myself. Sadly engough that film is being showen in the wrong neigborhood because most of the people there are mac supporters and thier lives revolve around anything apple which is very common in non ghetto gentrified or yuppie areas of NYC. Iim going to see the film because Steve Jobs is also a monster. 17 people have comitted suicide at the hon hai or in English called FoXconn corporation complex in shuezen China a city not to far from Hong Kong and Shangai. Hon Hai is also a Taiwanese company and not a Chinese comp. I gotta see this film some time next week. Sadly enough a film like Agony and Ecstasy will make Transplants, Hipsters and others hurl since they love MACS and IPhones.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
Wow. I was completely unaware of that quote by an NYPD captain. Great post, makes complete sense.

If you are a young male that appears between the ages of 16-25, that generally walks around urban neighborhoods or appears to have any hint of urban fashion going on...You are completely *****ED against the NYPD. And if you're a minority to boot?

Lol, good freakin' luck.
Not even bro. My boy was walking around East Harlem a few days ago and cops pushed and shoved him to the wall they suspected him that he was buying drugs in the area and was searched. MY friend who is white Albanian Serbian type. The NYPD were looking for white people who frequent the hood to buy drugs and my boy told me that the NYPD were looking out for whites walking in or around hood areas of Harlem The cop gave my friend a warning and said if he seem him again walkining around in East Harlem that he would be arrested because of reasonable suspision of drug buying. So many NEw Yorkers lives are screwed up by the NYPD in many ways, from getting arrested, to getting hired by the NYPD to even being medicaly or pshycological being disqualified. Things like that can deny you a home or even a job and it takes thousands of dollars to clear your name by esponagement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City