U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,075 times

Advertisements

NYC is not safe at all, anything can go wrong at any time. That's the problem with many people they think that because they live in a good neighborhood they can relax, be careful.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:13 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,220,867 times
^^yup

yo- from the suburbs. listen to what he said

Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM

4,926 posts, read 7,083,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I guess nobody wants to read my article. It is not about 1 "racist" cop, it's about an entire system created to make sure people of certain groups fail. Why is that hard to understand? It's not about one cop getting caught, it's about the entire system that forces cops (in many cases) to target certain groups and essentially ruin the lives of entire generations of people. They are already starting off with records...how will they go to school, get a job, and do all the things we are complaining that they don't do....well now you know.
Let's put aside the fact that I don't take what sensationalist papers like the news and the post put forth as legit news sources. All the article quotes as your proof of what you are stating are the words of a black politician. Yeah I understand that he was a cop back in the day. That means nothing. He's a politician now, and politicians are not known for their character. You also conveniently left out some quotes in your other post. What about this one?:

Quote:
NYPD spokesman Paul Browne said the department knew Daragjati was trouble and was being investigated by Internal Affairs when his comments were captured on tape.

"More broadly, police stops save lives, especially in the minority community, which benefited most from the 2,734 fewer murders in the first eight years of the Bloomberg administration compared to the prior eight," Browne said.

"While murders and shootings are down dramatically from prior years in part because of police stops, mainly young men of color last year represented over 90% of murder and shooting victims."

See I can do that too. Just because I took it from an article in the friggin daily news, does that make it true? You decide.

Also, think about the beat cops these days. I'd go as far to say that well over 50% are black and hispanic. Is it only the racist white cops that are falsely arresting all of these people or when black and hispanic cops do it, is it not racist?

Old 10-20-2011, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,075 times
Are you sure they are Puerto Ricans? because everyone that speaks Spanish is of Puerto Rican descent.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
And you mention affirmative action as if that just cures everything...are you serious? Did you know the group of people who receive affirmative action the most are white women?

LOLWUT?

Let's not even deal with affirmative action in the workforce at the moment. Are you honestly going to sit there and try to claim that this is the case in college and grad school admissions? Because this is where it really counts. This is where people of color need to "level out the playing field" if you will. In school.

Anyway, if you know anything about anything, you would know that being a white female really does not give you all that much of a boost. Being a black, hispanic, asian, or native american woman or man gives you an unbelievable boost however. My girl recently got passed over at a few top law schools for individuals with far lower scores and credentials than she had. Passed over for individuals that I describe. And we know this through sites like toplawschool.com where people post their stats and acceptances. And many, many people have the same story. And if you try to say that its anecdotal, you're being silly. This is how it is. And whatever, it is what it is. But please don't try and claim nonsense.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenky View Post
Are you sure they are Puerto Ricans? because everyone that speaks Spanish is of Puerto Rican descent.
Not sure if you're talking to me, but I didn't mention the words Puerto Ricans once...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:13 PM

10,831 posts, read 26,440,048 times
I think it's best we put this thread to rest as it has strayed completely from the original post into multiple topics. Thread closed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City