U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 06:28 PM
 
4,926 posts, read 7,086,979 times
Reputation: 4355

Advertisements


What's really great is that any time I post a pic or a gif on this forum, it gets deleted because of some BS privacy issue the site is worried about for some reason. But when a mod posts one, it's all gravy.

Awesome


Edit: It won't even let me quote his gif? WTF?!

 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
 
84 posts, read 204,598 times
Reputation: 58
I can tell you about the slang. **** outta here is definitely used a lot. When something is cool it is referred to as being wavy. Bum ass ***** is used a lot. For extra emphasis the word type is put in front of a word. For example this forum is type addictive. As for fashion the green and grey brim hats are making a comeback. I've seen so many green brim NBA snap back Charlotte Hornets hats the past few weeks.
Bronx-Where I'm from, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Edenwald, Soundview, Fordham Bedford, are all horrible neighborhoods. I can tell you about the Fordham area because I go to school there. The area is run by the YB's (Young Bosses) and Young Gunners (YG), KB (Kingsbridge) I know right corny, and Trinitarios . I'll tell you that Bloods and Crips aren't hot in the Bronx maybe the Sex, Money, Murder Bloods are still hot in the SB. As for the Trinitarios they are not at their peak they've been declining since the Alex Ochoa trial in 04. Hell they are even accepting Puerto Ricans now. They aren't new either they've been around since the 90s. DDP is DONE. Latin Kings are low key but still around last year they did some pretty cold things. They are a lot of PR LK's near where I live. Right now everybody gangster is doing pot. Kids bring alcohol to school in Arizona Iced Tea bottles. I think the Bronx is hotter than Brooklyn but maybe thats because I don't live in BK. East New York and Brownsville will always be hell holes but there are more nice gentrified safe nabes in Brooklyn than the Bronx. In the Bronx all you have is Country Club, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Pelham, City Island, Throggs Neck. Everything else is sketchy.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:11 PM
 
84 posts, read 204,598 times
Reputation: 58
Can someone tell me something about Castle Hill in the Bronx? I work on Saturdays at my family grocery store there and never have I gotten a feel for the neighborhood. It feels unsafe and desolate. The Crips do have a presence there,I've seen the tags. Mainly a PR neighborhood. I spoke to a old lady who was a customer and she said her house burned down because the neighbors were cooking crack,I really didn't pay too much mind too it she looked a little crazy.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:17 PM
 
Location: NY,NY
2,898 posts, read 8,613,686 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
If I am clearly no "expert" as that title seems to mean alot to you, then I clearly will fumble and provide mis-information along the way. In that case, if I am mis-informed, feel free to call me out on any of my claims. I have an entire page as the original post, it intrigues me as to why you haven't done so already.

Do enlighten me, I'd love some new insightful information on my fellow poor communities in 2011. Unlike many of the elder generation, I'm humble enough to put aside my credentials/ego and lend an open ear.
Dude, being young, you may not realize it, but the attitude of your post comes across a little arrogantly. I don't have a problem with your observations, because they are YOURS; but, in no way should you claim or present your experience as definitiive.

Specifically, yours is the perspective of a kid! Only kids concern themselves with 'gangs' and see 'gangs' as an issue. For an adult they barely exist. In fact there are nor 'real' gangs in NYC, not like you find back in the day, nor like in Chicago, LA or some of the black southern/west cities; not even like in some Jersy cities.

Similarly, the whole getting 'jumped' thing is also totally juvenille. Not an issue for 90% of the adults of Brooklyn. The remaining 10% are adult in age, but have yet to grow up, walking, talking, dressing and acting like kids.

I believe the majority of this forum are adults older than 18. Certainly the under 18 contigent is VERY small. Perhaps you thought that there were more people here closer to your age. The young, naive, and inexperienced non-NYere will probably appreciate your post. Those of us, adults, born and bred to NYC, and who lived through the 70s and/or the 'crack' days of NYC, probably find your comments a little weak simply paling in comparison.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
 
Location: NY,NY
2,898 posts, read 8,613,686 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
Sound silly as it may, but this is common knowledge among everyone familiar with gangs I've talked too.

Last year I went to rockaway beach, and upon arrival there was mass chaos and police. People were running everywhere and a former patria buddy of mine explains to me that a bunch of patrias jumped these 2 latin king dudes on the beach, broke bottles over their head. So for the next 45 minutes theres random spurts of commotion and dozens of people running around. Turns out it was over my boy's boy, who was patria and got shot in the head point blank, killed from behind by suprise by this random latin king. So for those couple months alot of people were talking about it.

But I also then notice...that there are atleast 60 patrias on the beach, fully decked out in lime green flags and gear. There was even a chick with a t-shirt that just had a HUGE limegreen flag on it. *gag* So there goes my beach day I think, my little group kicks back on the other side and keeps an eye out on everything.

The dudes started making a godamn youtube video, talking **** to the camera of course, getting themselves real hype acting intimidating. So then, 20 minutes later me and buddy randomly notice in the corner of our eye...these 2 black dudes strolling along down onto the beach without a care in the world...with blue crip beads and a flag on their hat. We immediately have the same reaction, "these guys are out of their minds:"

The two dudes keep on going about their business completely cool, and are never approached by the other gang. It was quite a sight, seeing two random blue dudes next to a sea of lime green.
Unless you goot the youtube video, I don't believe you. Either that, or you must have your beaches confused. I have never witnessed such a thing at Rockaway beach. Usually those beaches rarely have a crowd, very sparsely utilized; and the percentage of blacks from the penninsula that 'actually' go to the beach is rather small.

Even though the Hispanics are smaller in number, a larger percentage go to the beach than blacks. Yet, to say there were SIXTY "patias" or whatever, on the beach, flying colors, is just not believeable. Coney or Brighton beaches w/b more believeable, but unless its a holiday there is rarely 60 people in one spot on the beaches of the Rockaways.

If so, then it must have been near the handball/basketball courts, where the bus stops.

Over the last few years, a number of drownings, surfer transplants, fishing, rabbits, but 60 hoodds flying colors, never seen that.

****

Seventfloor, you're the resident Rockaway expert, whaddya say?
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,845 posts, read 22,210,447 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
C'mon people..he's like me!

He is not a police officer like Hustla was. He is just a young guy who lives in the hood. Why doesn't anybody ask me these kinds of question?

Seriously.
Damn is someone taking some of your crime fanboy glow? Lol. JK. But I do sense a tinge of jealousy in your tone...
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
 
11,314 posts, read 21,794,339 times
Reputation: 8920
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Dude, being young, you may not realize it, but the attitude of your post comes across a little arrogantly.
The pot calls the kettle black.
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,845 posts, read 22,210,447 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by DA Fernandez View Post
I can tell you about the slang. **** outta here is definitely used a lot. When something is cool it is referred to as being wavy. Bum ass ***** is used a lot. For extra emphasis the word type is put in front of a word. For example this forum is type addictive. As for fashion the green and grey brim hats are making a comeback. I've seen so many green brim NBA snap back Charlotte Hornets hats the past few weeks.
Bronx-Where I'm from, Morrisania, Mott Haven, Hunts Point, Edenwald, Soundview, Fordham Bedford, are all horrible neighborhoods. I can tell you about the Fordham area because I go to school there. The area is run by the YB's (Young Bosses) and Young Gunners (YG), KB (Kingsbridge) I know right corny, and Trinitarios . I'll tell you that Bloods and Crips aren't hot in the Bronx maybe the Sex, Money, Murder Bloods are still hot in the SB. As for the Trinitarios they are not at their peak they've been declining since the Alex Ochoa trial in 04. Hell they are even accepting Puerto Ricans now. They aren't new either they've been around since the 90s. DDP is DONE. Latin Kings are low key but still around last year they did some pretty cold things. They are a lot of PR LK's near where I live. Right now everybody gangster is doing pot. Kids bring alcohol to school in Arizona Iced Tea bottles. I think the Bronx is hotter than Brooklyn but maybe thats because I don't live in BK. East New York and Brownsville will always be hell holes but there are more nice gentrified safe nabes in Brooklyn than the Bronx. In the Bronx all you have is Country Club, Riverdale, Woodlawn, Pelham, City Island, Throggs Neck. Everything else is sketchy.
Makes sense for Trini to loosen the Dominican only standard if they want to survive. There are only so many Dominicans in NYC and the numbers are going down over the long term because immigration from DR peaked like in the mid to late 90's. It will only be a matter of time for Mexicans to start developing their own gangs though. Mexicans get picked on at schools where they are not the majority, etc. I'd keep an eye out for that...

btw there are a lot of sort of in between nabes in the Bronx that I wouldn't really call sketchy. Like Parkchester, bedford park, Morris Park, etc. NOt saying these areas are perfect but they ain't sketchy really either...
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
9,845 posts, read 22,210,447 times
Reputation: 3543
On a side note I've always found it interesting how strongly weed is linked to crime/thug culture in this city. If you ask me that is a total product of the way weed offenses were prosecuted in this city for years. The city basically created that problem...
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood, NY
3,039 posts, read 5,936,290 times
Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Makes sense for Trini to loosen the Dominican only standard if they want to survive. There are only so many Dominicans in NYC and the numbers are going down over the long term because immigration from DR peaked like in the mid to late 90's. It will only be a matter of time for Mexicans to start developing their own gangs though. Mexicans get picked on at schools where they are not the majority, etc. I'd keep an eye out for that...
You live in a hood and you don't know that there's mexican gangs in NYC... do a little research... About 70% of the mexican dudes that go to school or live in the hood are in a gang... As a teacher I can't tell you how many countless number of Mexican gangs we've encountered in our junior high school in Ridgewood nonetheless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:04 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top