U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 12:17 PM

24,137 posts, read 30,252,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch View Post
I mean, I was literally just sleeping with my head against the window, something half the already half empty train full of people were doing too. I was in the middle of the car, not all shady in the corner either.
so you would say that the only difference between you and the others in the train was that you are an 18-20 year old male?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 12:39 PM

113 posts, read 263,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
Same BS has happened to my guy too. NYPD don't have their priorities straight. They need to get out there and fight REAL crime.
I know similar BS that happened to other people by the NYPD. I live in one of the "good" parts of the BX, so they have nothing better to do around here. Last year, there was a really big problem with them randomly searching cars of innocent people in my neighborhood, in search of miniscule amounts of weed. Forget the fact that car thieves love it here because of all the nice cars. But that would be stopping real crime.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,773,469 times
If this was a wrongful arrest you can sue I'm sure.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,133,513 times
Something similar happened to me. Was arrested and charged with "possession of marijuana" when I had absolutely NOTHING on me. Nothing! I was with 2 friends at the park, just sitting down talking, and one was smoking a cigarette he rolls up with his own tobacco. So two undercovers saw us, thought it was a joint, and proceeded to search all of us. They then asked (I shiet you not) which one of us had been arrested before. My two friends said they had and I said I was never arrested, and they took ME to the station.

They took me to bookings and I had to stay there for a day. It sucks. These cops abuse their power. And then people wonder WHY there is so much hatred against them. Especially from minority groups.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM

21,364 posts, read 24,104,739 times
Quote:
I am an 18 year old half Chinese, half Puerto Rican male living in New York City and have been stopped by NYPD and/or searched over 10 times.
So by your statement you understand the MTA rules of conduct and have multiple incidents already connected to your name.

And you violated Section 1050.7.10.

Quote:
(1) occupy more than one seat on a station, platform or conveyance when to do so would interfere or tend to interfere with the operation of the Authority�s transit system or the comfort of other passengers; (2) place his or her foot on a seat on a station, platform or conveyance;
mta.info | Rules of Conduct

And thus under section 1050.10

Quote:
criminal prosecution in the criminal court of the City of New York, which court may impose a fine not to exceed twenty-five dollars or a term of imprisonment for not longer than ten days, or both; or civil penalties imposed by the transit adjudication bureau in an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars per violation (exclusive of interest or costs assessed thereon).
The schedule of such civil penalties will be set forth in an internal procedure manual of the transit adjudication bureau and may be revised from time to time, including provisions for repeat offenses.
In addition to a civil penalty for one or more violations of these rules, an additional penalty, not to exceed fifty dollars, may be imposed upon the failure of a respondent in any proceeding commenced with respect to any such violation to make a timely response to or appearance in connection with a notice of violation or order issued by the Authority in such proceeding.
And yet you don't understand why you were arrested?

The problem here lies in that for too many years the Transit Police were too lax in doing their jobs. The abuses of the rules created so many complaints. There wasn't a day back some 20 yrs that I'd see someone with their head against the glass, their bag sitting next to them and their legs laying across multiple seats and the TP did nothing about it. Thus in 95 they were absorbed into NYPD. So now the pendulum has swung the other way to be a "zero tolerance" rule.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 AM

39 posts, read 68,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
So by your statement you understand the MTA rules of conduct and have multiple incidents already connected to your name.

Wrong. Perhaps you missed the part of my story where I pointed out no previous arrests, charges, records, not a single thing found under my name. These "multiple" incidents were more like being stopped completely randomly and patted down by several undercover officers and regular cops alike. Perhaps you see nothing wrong with this, but when you're a young male and continue to be stopped and searched in the middle of the street while everyone watches as though you're a criminal, it becomes very demoralizing and frustrating.

And you violated Section 1050.7.10.

mta.info | Rules of Conduct

And thus under section 1050.10

And yet you don't understand why you were arrested?

I'm fully aware of the MTA's rules of taking up more than one seat being a violation. This, and because I was raised with manners, is why I didn't blatantly put my foot directly on the seat, but rather some of my leg on the edge. Regardless, you are right, this is a violation.

The problem here lies in that for too many years the Transit Police were too lax in doing their jobs. The abuses of the rules created so many complaints. There wasn't a day back some 20 yrs that I'd see someone with their head against the glass, their bag sitting next to them and their legs laying across multiple seats and the TP did nothing about it. Thus in 95 they were absorbed into NYPD. So now the pendulum has swung the other way to be a "zero tolerance" rule.
But do explain to me, why the judge who heard my case could barely look me in the eye? Clearly avoiding embarassment and purposely not mentioning the case aloud. Explain to me why as soon as I went to the stand the judge attempted to be extremely nice to me and IMMEDIATELY, within seconds, dismissed the case and told me I was free to go.

Everyone whos misdemeanor case was dismissed before me, without fail, were all told "if you stay out of trouble for the next 6 months it will be off your record." I fully expected to hear this upon approaching the stand, yet the judge didn't even tell me this. She knew it was complete bullsh*t otherwise she wouldnt have went out of her way to appease me as I was visibly frustrated.

However, if you find nothing wrong with NYPD randomly pulling people off of trains at 4 in the morning and arresting them for having a single leg on an empty chair, in a fairly empty car, then I really question your sense of whats justice.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:00 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,337,191 times
Quote:
Lol, I was staying at a buddy's house at the time and the logistics weren't there.

I won't lie, I dress fairly urban but I wasn't at all then. Off blue t-shirt, super light blue slim straight/skinny jeans, with bright red van lo pros. No belts, nothing flashy or any accesories.

I mean, I was literally just sleeping with my head against the window, something half the already half empty train full of people were doing too. I was in the middle of the car, not all shady in the corner either.

It doesn't matter though, it was clear from the cops that they had nothing to do and simply wanted to grab me up since I was young male 18-20 and register me in the system. This was just their pathetic means of doing so.

IF you want my .02cents, I think they may have thought you were drugged up.

You weren't well dressed- jeans, tshirt- and you were asleep on a subway train. Lots of peeps shoot up or get wasted then pass out on the trains. Just putting that out there.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM

39 posts, read 68,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
IF you want my .02cents, I think they may have thought you were drugged up.

You weren't well dressed- jeans, tshirt- and you were asleep on a subway train. Lots of peeps shoot up or get wasted then pass out on the trains. Just putting that out there.
You guys are really reaching here. I may have not been my best dressed, but I looked like a straight pretty boy. Fitted t-shirt with light blue slim/skinny jeans and highlighter red clean vans on. Box-frame glasses on too.

When I got to the station, it was obvious they had nothing to do. This is the problem with the police here, there are so many of them that you often see a ton of them...with nothing to do.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:52 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,337,191 times
Quote:
You guys are really reaching here. I may have not been my best dressed, but I looked like a straight pretty boy. Fitted t-shirt with light blue slim/skinny jeans and highlighter red clean vans on. Box-frame glasses on too.

When I got to the station, it was obvious they had nothing to do. This is the problem with the police here, there are so many of them that you often see a ton of them...with nothing to do.

Hey, I'm not blessing what they did by bringing you in without a solid reason.

I'm just letting you know that a lot of peeps one finds passed out on subways are druggies or lushes and they may have made that assumption about you.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:09 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,529,289 times
Quote:
This was 2 months ago, since then I've gone to court...
Ask anything? My first question is this: what made you decide to go public two months after the fact, as opposed to the next day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City