U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsoclutch
Perhaps you missed the part of my story where I pointed out no previous arrests, charges, records, not a single thing found under my name.
Even though
Quote:
I ...have been stopped by NYPD and/or searched over 10 times.
And yet you have no clue why you're being stopped. Take a look in the the mirror and look how you portray yourself. Get an mp3 recorder and record yourself and listen to how you sound to others.

Yet there are 100,000's of youths that have never been stopped. That being said, being stopped or ticketed in NYC is a norm of living there. It happens to everybody sooner or later. NYC has tickets or fines for things that are unimaginable by anyone living outside of NYC. Be happy you're not part of the generation that rode the subways under the guise of the Transit Police. Who 30ish years ago prodded and hit you on the train to advise you that you have broken a rule. So when many NYs have something to compare todays version to, most will take todays. All these rules and laws came into place because numerous people thought it was ok to do things in the transit system they would never do in their own home. So now we have rules being enforced to the letter.

Quote:
But do explain to me, why the judge who heard my case could barely look me in the eye?
The Police are there to enforce the letter of the laws. Thus if the law allows them to arrest you with minimal cause, then they can and will. They are instructed daily to enforce the laws from as high as the Mayor. Judges can make decisions and reduce sentence/fine to nearly nothing based on how they precieve the law. They are flooded with cases where the Police did the max in enforcing the laws. One has nothing to do with the other. You could've have gotten the Judge who legally could have sentenced you to 9 days and 21 hours. The maximum allowed under the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:21 AM

21,474 posts, read 28,350,128 times
I despise cops who act like steroided thhugs. Trouble is there are far too many of them becausue they know they can abuse their power with no consequence. Just this week cops were recorded stealing cocaine and using it to frame suspects. Others were charged with running a ticjet fixing scam...just this week.

And to those who say that 95% are GOOD cops, remember it is only those who are caught red-handed on camera committing crimes who even face the POSSIBILITY of facing charges and getting a slap on the wrist.

But when you SET UP a police state nobody should be surprised that a police state is what you GET.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM

448 posts, read 603,112 times
I got stopped and almost thrown in the pattywagon, cuz the cops thought I was truant. I'm 22 yrs old. Its so funny because when I DID cut school in my HS years(and i cut A LOT) I never once got stopped. They tried to say I was lying, cuz I didn't have my id on me. I had only went around the corner to get some milk from the bodega, why carry my whole purse with me? Luckily the bodega owner knows me personally so he vouched for me!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:53 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,429,864 times
A) You broke a rule that the transit cops have been aggressively cracking down upon.

B) You were sleeping on a subway car at 4 o'clock in the morning. They might have thought you were a junkie. Not necessarily a fair inference to jump to, but cops aren't perfect.

Frankly, after 33 years of being a resident of Planet Earth, I have generally come to the conclusion that nothing good happens outside past the hour of 1 am. At 4 am, you will always find me curled up under my sheets with my front door locked.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,178,664 times
Man there are so many stories like this these days. These cops are becoming public enemy #1. They will try to arrest you for anything to reach their quotas.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,413,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
They will try to arrest you for anything to reach their quotas.
That's what I thought when I read the OP's story, too. I think they targeted him because he appeared to be an easy target by his description. He was asleep, so likely was not going to fight back, and they have an arrest listed on their stats, which while intended to keep order on the subways, does have a potential for abuse in application.

I should add that I have no problem with the NYPD whatsoever, and do support the work that they perform in the city. But, I think that reason and discretion sometimes leaves the equation when one considers the importance of stats in that profession these days.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 AM

39 posts, read 68,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I despise cops who act like steroided thhugs. Trouble is there are far too many of them becausue they know they can abuse their power with no consequence. Just this week cops were recorded stealing cocaine and using it to frame suspects. Others were charged with running a ticjet fixing scam...just this week.

And to those who say that 95% are GOOD cops, remember it is only those who are caught red-handed on camera committing crimes who even face the POSSIBILITY of facing charges and getting a slap on the wrist.

But when you SET UP a police state nobody should be surprised that a police state is what you GET.
Exactly. That is the problem, and exactly why police abuse of power is running rampant in this city. NONE of them get punished for regular abuses of power, the only ones that do are specific cases that get media attention, and even then, it takes a ton of effort to get them prosecuted. They get a slap on the wrist or fired at the most.

Can you literally imagine the amount of clear violations these guys commit every single day that are overlooked because there is literally NOTHING anybody can do about it? The courts completely have NYPD's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungLove21 View Post
I got stopped and almost thrown in the pattywagon, cuz the cops thought I was truant. I'm 22 yrs old. Its so funny because when I DID cut school in my HS years(and i cut A LOT) I never once got stopped. They tried to say I was lying, cuz I didn't have my id on me. I had only went around the corner to get some milk from the bodega, why carry my whole purse with me? Luckily the bodega owner knows me personally so he vouched for me!
Yep, this is an issue I think about all the time. Sometimes I feel iffy just running to the corner store because I don't have my ID on me and I know if the cops really wanted too, they could easily arrest me just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
A) You broke a rule that the transit cops have been aggressively cracking down upon.

B) You were sleeping on a subway car at 4 o'clock in the morning. They might have thought you were a junkie. Not necessarily a fair inference to jump to, but cops aren't perfect.

Frankly, after 33 years of being a resident of Planet Earth, I have generally come to the conclusion that nothing good happens outside past the hour of 1 am. At 4 am, you will always find me curled up under my sheets with my front door locked.
1. That makes zero sense as half the car was already as knocked out as I was.

2. Thats awesome for you bro, but this isn't called the city that never sleeps for no reason, incase you haven't noticed. Not everyone lives by your sleep schedule and I don't see how that is really relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Man there are so many stories like this these days. These cops are becoming public enemy #1. They will try to arrest you for anything to reach their quotas.
I'm noticing more and more thats its REGULAR citizens that are beginning to dislike the cops as well. To be honest, growing up, my blue collar hard working dad who busted his ass everyday to put food on the table for us, never liked cops either. Hes a newly reformed christian and when I told him this story, as much as I could tell he wanted to generically cheer me up and tell me that not all cops were bad, he couldnt. Because he knows exactly what goes on with the NYPD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
That's what I thought when I read the OP's story, too. I think they targeted him because he appeared to be an easy target by his description. He was asleep, so likely was not going to fight back, and they have an arrest listed on their stats, which while intended to keep order on the subways, does have a potential for abuse in application.

I should add that I have no problem with the NYPD whatsoever, and do support the work that they perform in the city. But, I think that reason and discretion sometimes leaves the equation when one considers the importance of stats in that profession these days.
Exactly. This is getting completely out of control and whats a bigger nuisance is citizens who have no real experience with the police simply using the "HERP DERP. THERES GOOD APPLES AND BAD APPLES" argument to excuse this ridiculous behavior. Its a completely cheap cop-out. (pun intended) They literally blind themselves to all of these police abuse stories that appear in the media WEEKLY, simply because they've never personally had to go through it.

"cops aren't perfect. imagine what they have to see everyday"

Too freakin' bad, they knew exactly what they were signing up for when they joined the force. The problem with these guys is that "Protect and Serve" has now instead been replaced with "Punish those who do wrong"

Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 AM

10,830 posts, read 26,413,762 times
I recall something similar to the ohsoclutch's experience with a lady who was riding in an empty subway car and had a bag with her groceries on the seat next to her. She was by all descriptors, a working person on her way home, after stopping at the market after work. She was taken off the train, detained, processed for warrants, and then issued a summons. She was not taken to jail, to the best of my recollection, though I cannot find the article to source that information. It's ridiculous to do that, especially since a reasonable person would move their property if asked.

Why can't the police show a badge and say "Please take your feet off the seat," to someone like the OP? Or, with the lady who was treated like a criminal for her bag, why was she not asked to move it to allow another patron to potentially sit there?

Instead of getting the pickpockets, the hustlers, and the slimy people who touch women on the train, they are arresting people for nonsense during off-peak hours. Knowing that really makes me sleep better at night, since the stats prove that crime is down by the number of arrests made. And, the argument that they are being proactive and stopping criminal activity from happening by doing so is preposterous as I don't think the OP, the lady with groceries, and others caught were actually planning to steal an iPod, knock down an elderly patron and steal her bag, or commit other criminal mischief on their way out of the station. Charge them a seat rental fee, i.e., give a ticket if they don't move or remove their parcel from the seat when asked to do so, but an arrest? Really, there is much more serious crime in the subway.

Now, deliberate littering on a train or platform -- no argument from me that the miscreant should be arrested and their automatic sentence is a day spent removing litter from the subway, with no option for fine. I doubt there would be a high recidivism rate among litterbugs with such a policy, and that does impact the quality of life.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-20-2011, 04:46 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,094,847 times
Quote:
I recall something similar .....though I cannot find the article to source that information.
Here it is:
http://gothamist.com/2006/12/11/subway_violatio.php

The standing rule to all NYPD officers is no warnings. Period.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:49 PM

9,845 posts, read 22,178,664 times
IMO there should be a separate division within nypd that is trained in community affairs and whose main focus would be QOL matters. You have all these big goofy dumb cops with no proper training in these areas metaphorically going after the fruit fly with hand grenades. It just doesnt make sense. Have a special unit to handle this type of stuff and handle it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City