Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:45 AM

16 posts, read 111,450 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how long did it take from recieving the approval notice to getting called in for an apartment. I submitted my intrest for Marlboro nycha houses on April 23rd and I recieved an approval notice on April 29th. I really need to move as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

346 posts, read 1,252,918 times
People who get section 8 are being shipped upstate to Poughkeepsie BTW.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:34 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,777,258 times
Sorry, but I missed it. Why do you *have* to live in Public Housing?

If you have been approved for Section 8, I guarantee you there are better options than what you described.

Don't know what your needs are, but, for example, have you looked in the Rockaways? There are LLs dying for tenants, any tenants, and will accept Section 8. It is not the most convenient area, long commute and limited shopping, but the housing is brand new (though perhaps not the best quality, but you're not buying the apartment!); and it near the beach!

Here's a link describing how bad it is in the Rockaways, for builders/owners/LLs. They can't sell, so they're turning to Section 8 tenants.

http://www.ny1.com/Default.aspx?ArID=99706

Barring that, with Section 8 all you need to do is find a LL, any LL, that is willing to accept Section 8. Try Flatbush/East Flatbush, there are lots of 2, 3 and 4 family homes that are rented. In a weak market many owners are more willing to take Section 8 tenants. You just have to convince the LL that you are a decent person/tenant (best way is recommendation from a previous LL). Go to every R.E. office along Church Avenue (though you may have to pay a fee).

Also, try Vanderveer Estates (there's a new name which I forget), Foster and Nostrand Avenues. It's not the greatest, BUT its gotta be better than what you described----and they've always accepted Section 8.

Anyway, you've just got to work harder at finding a place. Finding a decent affordable apartment in NYC is most often an 8 hour a day job! Also, doesn't the agency supervising Section 8 have a "list" of apartments/LLs??

Last edited by jcoltrane; 05-29-2009 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 09:17 PM

I've tryed everywhere and everything from real estates, private landlords, and the section 8 listing and it is not that easy as you think. No one wants to take section 8 now days, real estates always say either they don't have nothing available or that they'll call back which they never do, and nobody answers they're phone from they section 8 listing and if they do they say the apartment has been rented. So my only option is nycha housing.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Has anyone here applyed for nycha buildings using nycha section 8?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 9,580 times
Default Still waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesnes69 View Post
Has anyone here applyed for nycha buildings using nycha section 8?
Yes i apply also with my voucher in the bronx and im still waiting too, i heard its under a years wait, and depending on what housing you chose. best wishes!

Old 06-17-2009, 05:50 PM

I heard the samething about the under 1 year wait. I guess we'll be moving in less than a year. Keep me posted and let me know how long it takes for you and I'll do the same. Thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM

Just so you guys know, I applied for nycha section 8 housing in May and I got a letter from them two months later. I went in for a interview at the housing site that I would live in and two months later I moved in. I would of been able to move in sooner but the apartment wasn't ready. If you apply to nycha section 8 housing while your voucher is still valid it will stay valid because you applied while it was valid even though it expires. It will just stay valid for the nycha housing you applied for.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:00 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,845,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesnes69 View Post
I would like to know how long did it take from recieving the approval notice to getting called in for an apartment. I submitted my intrest for Marlboro nycha houses on April 23rd and I recieved an approval notice on April 29th. I really need to move as soon as possible.

My GOD,
I had no idea that any City agency was capable of moving that fast.

Amplify how Section 8 actually works, I have no experience with it other than an elderly friend who applied and was told she qualified and is waiting for the Voucher...5 years and counting.
My understanding is that you pay 30% of your income to the landlord and he gets the balance of rent from the government. If so, then what is the barrier to getting a nice big apartment at 67th and Madison for $4000, presuming a willing landlord? Is there an upper limit on what the govenment will kick in?
Are there size limitations also...would a single person be able to use a voucher for a 3 bedroom place with a beachfront terrace in the Rockaways?
Is it local or can one take a Section 8 voucher anywhwere in the U.S.?

TIA.

JC,
I tried opening that NY1 link...but it kept closing. My guess is that 9/11 banner across the top was to blame. Probably any sites even vaguely 9/11ish are overloaded today? I look forward to reading it tomorrow.
I presume that is Arverne they are talking about?

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-11-2011 at 08:25 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 11:05 AM

When you have section you do have to pay 30% of your income, if you get an apartment that is more than what section 8 is Covering then you also have to pay the difference. So if they give you a voucher for $1,350 you would pay about $405. But if the apartment is more that then you must pay the difference, for example, if the apartment is $2,000 a month then you would pay the $405 plus $650 to cover the difference. Section 8 will not give you more than what you qualify for. If you qualify for a one bedroom and want a two bedroom then you have to pay the difference of the rent. If you get a $4000 apartment they going to assume that you don't need section 8 if you can pay such high rent. Wherever you go the landlord must be willing to accept section 8 and section 8 has to inspect the apartment to see if it qualifies to be an section 8 apartment. Section 8 vouchers are good anywhere in the US. But before you leave the stateyou must tell the section 8 office so they can give you a transfer voucher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City