U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM

8,395 posts, read 19,681,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It depends on what part of the Downtown , the Nightlife is along 3 avenues , but the rest of the city is quiet. Most people like it this way and I don't hear many complaints...its also a very diverse city. Feels safer on the streets of the Bronx? LOL....
I don't know White Plains so I don't know but she said she was very uncomfortable going out at night outside her building except in a car because there was absolutely no one around.She said she felt safer leaving our school in the South Bronx in the evening because there were always lots of people around.

She finally moved from White Plains because of it.She said she wanted to be able to go out at night and walk around without being spooked.

I thought it was funny that she found Bronxville more exciting than White Plains since Bronxville definitely seems more suburban to me but maybe because of Sarah Lawrence there is more activity on the streets at night ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 04:46 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,675,189 times
I never had any issues in WP , even in the poorer parts , people are also very friendly up there. White Plains has a dense core like Downtown Brooklyn or Queensboro plaza , but its outer rings are like Ridgewood or Riverdale. Its a compacted city with all your needs , there is a bike lane system in the works and getting around on foot is very easily. Its also the Hub of the Westchester Bus system you can go anywhere in Westchester or connect to Putnam , Fairfield , Bronx , Queens and Rockland counties. White Plains is not suburb by this region's standards , nearby Stamford and New Rochelle are suburb...and more sprawly.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,675,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know White Plains so I don't know but she said she was very uncomfortable going out at night outside her building except in a car because there was absolutely no one around.She said she felt safer leaving our school in the South Bronx in the evening because there were always lots of people around.

She finally moved from White Plains because of it.She said she wanted to be able to go out at night and walk around without being spooked.

I thought it was funny that she found Bronxville more exciting than White Plains since Bronxville definitely seems more suburban to me but maybe because of Sarah Lawrence there is more activity on the streets at night ?
Safer in the South Bronx? LOL....

Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM

168 posts, read 456,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Ha, definitely not. Those Sarah Lawrence girls think that an exciting night out is a poetry reading at Slave to the Grind. At least when I dated one back in college.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 25,589,633 times
Bronxville is more compact, so between the theater, restaurants, etc., it does seem to be more vibrant than White Plains. Also, it's a very safe area, whereas White Plains can be eerie, especially in the parking garages at night.

For more than 50%, I agree I would have a 1BR in Westchester, which he should be able to find in a reasonable distance to the hospital for $1500 or so, still leaving $2500 for the city. If you don't want a vibrant local night scene, but a safe neighborhood with restaurants, and easier parking, Riverdale should be a consideration. I thought you wanted an area like the UWS or Downtown by the initial post.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 10-20-2011, 12:55 AM

3,849 posts, read 7,319,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjordan22 View Post
My husband and I are considering moving back to NYC next fall but are not sure if we will be able to live together or not because of his job/my school. He is considering taking a job at Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla and I am going to be going to school at Columbia in Morningside Heights. Because of his job, he has to be within 30 minutes of the hospital when he is on-call. Because of my school schedule, I would prefer not to have anything over an hour commute each way every day. Where can we possibly live that will meet both of these requirements?

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on our situation. I was really hoping to be able to live in Manhattan and a) live in Washington Heights where my husband may be able to drive to work or b) live near the 125th MetroNorth stop where he could take the train. The problem with MetroNorth is that there still is no good way to get from the Valhalla stop to the hospital. I have also heard that driving back into the city can be a nightmare.

Is there no hope that we can live together without it meaning that I have a terrible commute every day? We are willing to have two places, one in Manhattan and one in Westchester, but of course, don't WANT to do that. Please help!!! I am a city girl and have no idea if I could stand not only commuting from Westchester everyday, but living there also. Help!
There are buses that connect Metro-North to the hospital. Here's a Westchester County bus map: http://transportation.westchestergov...pENG28june.pdf

He would have to take Metro-North to White Plains and then transfer to the 14, 15, and 40/41 to reach the hospital. I haven't checked the schedules yet, but he probably won't have to wait long to make the train->bus connection (the 40/41 run pretty frequently)

Going back, he has a couple of more choices. He can take the 1X down to Yonkers, or the 43 down to Mount Vernon, or just come back the way he came.

The schedules are here: Bee-Line Bus Timetables and Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjordan22 View Post
Thanks for your help! What about New Rochelle? I know that a guy he will work with lives there. What is it like? Is it easy to get to the city?
Yes, there's a Metro-North station right in the center of town. Just be sure not to go too far south, as the area gets kind of sketchy.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 AM

20,195 posts, read 26,543,425 times
I'm a finance kinda guy and to me it seems silly to consider living in an area with an income tax while working in one WITHOUT.

Thus anyone with a job in Westchester should LIVE in Westchester. All other considerations seem ancillary.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:53 AM

51,464 posts, read 50,728,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Lol. I too have been told by a few people who aren't used to the suburbs that the "quiet" scares them. I guess in the city, we seek safety in numbers, especially late at night. When you walk home at night from the subway, maybe you walk close to the two people who got off with you for as long as you can. You choose the street with a few open businesses or a bodega when you have to come home at 2AM. In Westchester you really don't have that option. But perceptions aside, I think that it's fair to say that White Plains is far safer than 95% of all neighborhoods in NYC.
LOL, I have a friend who grew up in Washington Heights and then Inwood and when she was thirty she married someone from the NJ suburbs. She wanted to know what "that weird noise" was she heard at night. It was crickets. Then friends invited her and her family along to stay at their house up in Maine for the weekend. The friend came home very annoyed at the city girl, because she was so terrified of the woods, thinking that there were ax murderers or something hiding in there, that they couldn't enjoy themselves and go hiking or anything. She just wanted to stay inside the house. Meanwhile, many people in Maine would be terrified to walk the streets of Washington Heights or Inwood!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
bg7

7,698 posts, read 7,665,162 times
Thats funny. I think people watch too many horror movies and their imaginations run wild when things are quiet. In the end, its people that commit crimes, not crickets and rabbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or