U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM

1,682 posts, read 2,640,180 times

Advertisements

NYC's "Euro-fixation" is great! There is no city in the United States like New York City. We must look to our neighbors across the Atlantic for true innovation. Many European cities have similar cultural, structural, infrastructural, social similarities. More so then other parts of the world.

-Bike share is a great thing coming. I have high hopes for the initial roll out. Northern Brooklyn and Manhattan South. I see success there. My fear is the rest of the city. I think a lot of people will be too conservative in the outer boroughs initially. Bike share will probably be the most beneficial in areas like the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens. Areas that lack cross-town subway access, even even better for areas in fringes that lack a subway station within reasonable walking distance. We can thank Copenhagen, Denmark and other successful system across Europe. It's been proven to work in the USA, just look at D.C.

-Pedestrian Squares, love em. They are what NYC's has needed for some time. I am just disappointed with the roll out time. Times Square has already proven successful, lets see more of these across the city. The Times Square redesign will ensure this will be a "permanent" feature in that community.

Something I would really like to see in NYC are Street-Car systems. They are being rebuilt across the country. Some areas could really use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,311,348 times
You're clueless.

Bike share has no chance in the outer boroughs (save for a few areas right across the river from the city).

Pedestrian squares will be very limited in NYC.

As for cable cars, I won't even comment.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 AM

1,362 posts, read 1,500,701 times
The euro-fixation is occuring only in sex and the city parts on NYC.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You're clueless.

Bike share has no chance in the outer boroughs (save for a few areas right across the river from the city).
And your justification is?

Bicycles can prove to be a very efficient form of transportation. It would fill the transportation gap for a lot of people.

It has been proven successful in many other countries. Even here in the USA (Washington D.C.), it has proven beyond popular and they cannot build enough stations in time to satisfy the demand.

Quote:
Pedestrian squares will be very limited in NYC.
There have been an increase of temporary street closures over the years across the city in favor of pedestrian plazas. What is your justification for this statement?

Why not in a city where the pedestrian reigns?

Quote:
As for cable cars, I won't even comment.
As for Street-Cars or Trams, NYC used to have a number of lines with high ridership. They built many communities in the outer boroughs. Street-Cars have seen a resurgence due to the fact they are form of fixed mass transit (Boost property values), cleaner, energy efficient, quieter and often more comfortable then buses.

Why such pessimism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
The euro-fixation is occuring only in sex and the city parts on NYC.
The bike share rollout will eventually encompass a majority percentage of the city. There have been temporary pedestrian plaza street closings from Bay Ridge to Jackson Heights.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM

I don't see them working in the hood or non-sex and city areas. I forsee the young youths destroying, vandalizing, urinating, etc on those bikes. How will the company handle accidents, robbery. bikers with no helmets, etc. NYC is way too overcrowded with people and cars as it is.

I would rather have a street car. Maybe a street car that goes along the West Side Highway and another that goes along the FDR/Harlem River Drive. The Street cars should stop in the areas where crosstown buses intersect. The city should encourage carpooling.

I would forgo the bike share. It's better to work on a teleport machine,

Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM

4,912 posts, read 6,855,238 times
I am 100% certain that the OP is Janette Sadik-Khan.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Klato View Post
I don't see them working in the hood or non-sex and city areas. I forsee the young youths destroying, vandalizing, urinating, etc on those bikes. How will the company handle accidents, robbery. bikers with no helmets, etc. NYC is way too overcrowded with people and cars as it is.

I would rather have a street car. Maybe a street car that goes along the West Side Highway and another that goes along the FDR/Harlem River Drive. The Street cars should stop in the areas where crosstown buses intersect. The city should encourage carpooling.

I would forgo the bike share. It's better to work on a teleport machine,
It works in D.C.'s crime prone and working class non-trendy neighborhoods.

I would like to see a street car along a number of primary thoroughfares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I am 100% certain that the OP is Janette Sadik-Khan.
LMFAO!

Old 10-19-2011, 10:04 AM

168 posts, read 457,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Something I would really like to see in NYC are Street-Car systems. They are being rebuilt across the country. Some areas could really use them.
Why would we want to fund something old and inefficient -- for the sheer sake of nostalgia? That's why I never got the streetcar project proposal in Red Hook. Sure, the area desperately needs improved transportation options, but restoring an antiquated form of transportation because it looks charming is something that this city can't afford.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:23 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,311,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
And your justification is?

Bicycles can prove to be a very efficient form of transportation. It would fill the transportation gap for a lot of people.

It has been proven successful in many other countries. Even here in the USA (Washington D.C.), it has proven beyond popular and they cannot build enough stations in time to satisfy the demand.

There have been an increase of temporary street closures over the years across the city in favor of pedestrian plazas. What is your justification for this statement?

Why not in a city where the pedestrian reigns?

As for Street-Cars or Trams, NYC used to have a number of lines with high ridership. They built many communities in the outer boroughs. Street-Cars have seen a resurgence due to the fact they are form of fixed mass transit (Boost property values), cleaner, energy efficient, quieter and often more comfortable then buses.

Why such pessimism?

The bike share rollout will eventually encompass a majority percentage of the city. There have been temporary pedestrian plaza street closings from Bay Ridge to Jackson Heights.
You're making a lot of poor assumptions.

- Owning a bicycle isn't prohibitively expensive. Storing a bicycle isn't a major problem either. Some may claim that many don't have room in their apartments but that's nonsensical. People have all sorts of junk that they don't need in their apartments and if they really wanted, they would find space for a bike.

Why don't more people use bike's then? The percentage of bikers is pathetically low across NYC. I bike regularly. I see it. I barely see other bikes on the road and when I do it's the cyclists (who are biking for sport not for errands/everyday affairs).

I don't know much about the DC share but I'm positive it is not as "successful" as you make it out to be. The bike share will be a niche in the US. The US isn't Europe. If one lives in a major urban center then you need a car if you want to get out and relax in a more rural setting. On the opposite end, if one lives in a rural area, you can't live without a car.

I'm not saying that a bike share can't be profitable in NYC. It can but it will be a niche market.

- Name the number of temp street closures. They're not as many as you think. The city will only implement pedestrian squares in highly trafficked consumer retail districts in dense urban cores. They may implement 1 per borough but that's as far as I see it going.

- There will be no street cars in NYC.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:34 AM

New York, New York - 8,214,426 = This does not include the illegal immigrants, the 40+million annual tourists, the workers of nj,ct, and NY state who come to NYC to work.

2. Los Angeles, California - 3,849,378
3. Chicago, Illinois - 2,833,321
4. Houston, Texas - 2,144,491
5. Phoenix, Arizona - 1,512,986
6. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - 1,448,394
7. San Antonio, Texas - 1,296,682
8. San Diego, California - 1,256,951
9. Dallas, Texas - 1,232,940
10. San Jose, California - 929,936
11. Detroit, Michigan - 871,121
12. Jacksonville, Florida - 794,555
13. Indianapolis, Indiana - 785,597
14. San Francisco, California - 744,041
15. Columbus, Ohio - 733,203
16. Austin, Texas - 709,893
17. Memphis, Tennessee - 670,902
18. Fort Worth, Texas - 653,320
19. Baltimore, Maryland - 631,366
20. Charlotte, North Carolina - 630,478

The population of DC is 601,723. NYC is a different monster. The Bike share might work in the sex and the city areas but no where else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or