U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,579,715 times

Advertisements

This looks like a nice development..good luck to you. There is also a gut rehab of a couple old 5 story tenement buildings on Union Ave and 150th in Mott Haven with income restrictions from $30K-$57K.

These buildings use to be filled with the destutite/section 8 tenants. It came off the program, was sold, gutted, and now being filled with working class tenants...income restrictions are $30K minimum for a studio, and $58K maximum for 3 bedroom, depending on family size. Not bad!

I don't know how they were able to get rid of all those tenants, and I don't know where they went, but this is a great thing for the community and making more developments available for the working class.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...rketing-Ad.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM

169 posts, read 156,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMami View Post
SO WUTS UP PPL? I got a reply from Wavecrest for the building on 922 Westchester ave, i have a log # n everything so...now it's just a waiting game to see if the city will accept me. They held a massive interviewing session at the actual building at 922 Westchester ave in the Bronx. The building was niice. The smell of everything new makes you wanna slap yo momma for sum apartment keys! LOL, nah but it was decent the building, i was really shocked to see soooooo many ppl there. I'm talkin couples, elderly ppl, couples with kids, siblings, construction workers with their gear still on!! big ole' baby strollers rolling in, it was packed! The windows there are huge, n the view from the floor we were on was not bad at all! I thought maybe bcoz the 2 train is literally right in front of the building, it would be really annoying, but actually..the noise was very minimal. Like, it would have to be dead silent in order for you to hear the train chuckin in, n for me, being a true new yorker..its pretty soothing! any city sounds, car honking here n there, train rails skreeching in the distance every now n then. It's NEW YORK CITY for cryin out loud! Someone who had already moved in opened their door so i sped up before they closed the door, in order to get a sneak peek, n it was so cute the set up! The kitchen nook was koo, n the living room was a niice amount of space i believe for any family size....Ahh!.... I just hope all my info gets me through. You cant beat that. I'm going for a 2 bedroom. new development, 2 train entrance right there on ur door step! which it only took me 35 min total to get to Manhattan...so Im stickin it out for this 1. Wish me luck please!

Anyone else in the process of this development at

922 Westchester Ave Bronx, NY or any other place you would like to share?

Please add ur thoughts n opinions!

YAYYYYY glad to hear you finally got a call back from someone!

Old 02-07-2012, 10:18 AM

62 posts, read 132,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
This looks like a nice development..good luck to you. There is also a gut rehab of a couple old 5 story tenement buildings on Union Ave and 150th in Mott Haven with income restrictions from $30K-$57K.

These buildings use to be filled with the destutite/section 8 tenants. It came off the program, was sold, gutted, and now being filled with working class tenants...income restrictions are $30K minimum for a studio, and $58K maximum for 3 bedroom, depending on family size. Not bad!

I don't know how they were able to get rid of all those tenants, and I don't know where they went, but this is a great thing for the community and making more developments available for the working class.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hpd/download...rketing-Ad.pdf

Thank you SobroGuy, Well I am so very happy that US working class people are getting an actual chance to enjoy better housing because,dont get me wrong, I get the fact that people do need temporary assistance, but to have Section 8 for multiple years and never progress in life or improve your living situation substantially , and just use it to live nearly cost free and soil your life with benefits long term....i just hate the idea of that. And people do it! And they have been the 1's that you see moving into the new developments and getting approved with their "voucher", then move out to the next development and the rent just goes higher and higher everytime these people move, but what do they care?! Then the working class comes along and we can barely afford the rent at it's price because we actually put in the hours & labor for the money, no hand outs. Anyway, I wish great luck to all of my fellow working class that are applying, hang in there.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettiK View Post
YAYYYYY glad to hear you finally got a call back from someone!

Hey PrettiK! , how are you loving your new place? I would love to see some pics, so private msg me!! Yeah I was just about to settle for an older 2 bdrm apartment, which I really didn't want to do, then I receive the interview and it just gave me the extra gas to keep trying and not to give up. If not here though, I will keep applying and trying. I know theres 1 out there waiting for me to move in! Lol.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 AM

169 posts, read 156,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMami View Post
Hey PrettiK! , how are you loving your new place? I would love to see some pics, so private msg me!! Yeah I was just about to settle for an older 2 bdrm apartment, which I really didn't want to do, then I receive the interview and it just gave me the extra gas to keep trying and not to give up. If not here though, I will keep applying and trying. I know theres 1 out there waiting for me to move in! Lol.
Yes there is especially in the Bronx!!!! theyre building up the bronx like crazy!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Never Can Catch A Break!

Okay well word to the WISE! I hate putting my business out there but, i will sacrifice it, in order to inform other families with my same situation who may benefit from my experience details.

Make sure you make sure you DO NOT make over the INCOME that these developments require.

I applied and gave a $25 fee for credit checks & provided all of my information and everything I would possibly need to prove or verify, then they tell me SORRY, BUT NO.... because I make only $5,000 and sum change above the amount for an INDIVIDUAL according to LAMP regulations.I am a city municipal employee which I doubt they even took into consideration. But there is NO WAY that I would ever qualify also because my position receives a yearly salary increase, so my stint with this whole AFFORDABLE HOUSING LOTTERY thing is totally over, with NO CHANCE. I have a partner,but we arent married yet, so I obviously on the application applied with myself and our 1 child. Which I figured would count for 2 people for "household size"[Mother&Child, using mothers full time income].
NOPE!!!! NO MA'AM.
They cut NO slack. They want you to basically make JUUUUUUUUST enough to pay rent. While also keeping you BROKE!!

Think about it...If you make only about $32,000/yr...and your rent is $942/mo. After taxes are taken out of your paycheck, and after paying all your other bills,cell, light, maybe cable, possibly childcare expenses if u have a kid or kids, transportation expenses, food expenses bcoz u gotta eat! God forbid an emergency arises medically or if you must travel unexpectingly..ALL THESE THINGS and you are truly single, no boyfriend or husband, wife, girlfriend to split bills...IMAGINE HOW BROKE YOU WILL BE!
*****AND IF YOUR NOT "BROKE" PERSAY, THEN YOU WILL DEFINITELY BE LIMITED TO THE THINGS YOU CAN DO IN LIFE. YOUR GONNA BE STUCK IN A TIGHT SPOT. THE HONEST REALITY IS, YOU CAN ONLY GO ->SO FAR....

So if you are doing well for yourself, and you just happen to make a SMALL amount above their guidelines, THEY WILL REJECT YOU EVERYTIME.[unless you are desperate and decide to work less hours in order to match their income requirements ]

I just take this as a lesson that
"ALL THAT GLITTERS AIN'T GOLD",
YES you are in a NEW PLACE, but you will for sure be pinching to have some sort of sufficient lifestyle IF you are NOT as fortunate as me, bcoz I HAVE a partner to split all expenses.

Most of your money will definitely go towards your rent with little to spare. So couples like me and my bf, we just RIDE THIS OUT, we will be just fine in a normal 2 bedroom, maybe nothing brand spanking new, BUT IT WILL BE "HOME." which is good enough for us. It will also give us more fire to keep progressing in this life and realize that having "AFFORDABLE HOUSING" in NYC is not EVERYTHING if you can manage and don't depend on it, especially if anyone out there is like us, Young, Responsible, Goal Oriented, Full Time City Workers, College Students or even a Parent.

Those apartments don't mean ANYTHING to me now, because I rather live in an older 2 BEDROOM apt, with more space, while paying LESS, while I finish up my DEGREE so that I can be proud of my SOLID EDUCATION & obtain better living & lifestyle and move into an AMAZING HOUSE in ANY STATE of our Choice and drive the car that I dreamed of and BE PROUD of the obsticals that got me to where I am.

But please, Don't get discourage, by my testimony, this is only my situation. God has a plan for everyone, and he knows who needs what more than others.
I see it as
'Nothing Good, Fullfilling & Everlasting in Life Comes Easy."

Bcoz it would have been a piece of cake for us to get the brand new Affordable Apartment, split the cost, and live GoooD in a new crib, yeah sure.

But I feel like God knows that we have Better Potential than to just settle down and be satified with THAT. Nah. It just wasnt meant to be. There are greater things ahead, and I can only continue to progress and reach my LONGTERM life goals and not worry about temporary desires... Goodluck to everyone still trying and to those who got through.
But remember don't get stuck in applyingfor these places like I did. They are nice but you can do even better by going to school and making something out of yourself and doing much bigger things for the rest of your life, not just to enjoy a cool place for now, because it will get old, and you will be looking for a change sooner or later! Good LUCK! Wish me well too! ...BYE!

Old 03-02-2012, 02:17 PM

65 posts, read 64,276 times
PrettyMami, you should have taken all of 2 minutes and reviewed the income restrictions, and you would have avoided wasting everyone's time, including your own. Each new affordable housing development has its own income restrictions, and if you make 1 cent over, you do not qualify. The end.

Instead of giving up on affordable housing, you should simply find one where you meet the income requirements. They are constantly putting up new developments, and based on your income, you will no doubt qualify for some. It's that simple..not sure why you pursued something you were never qualified for in the first place.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBronxGuy View Post
PrettyMami, you should have taken all of 2 minutes and reviewed the income restrictions, and you would have avoided wasting everyone's time, including your own. Each new affordable housing development has its own income restrictions, and if you make 1 cent over, you do not qualify. The end.

Instead of giving up on affordable housing, you should simply find one where you meet the income requirements. They are constantly putting up new developments, and based on your income, you will no doubt qualify for some. It's that simple..not sure why you pursued something you were never qualified for in the first place.

Maybe you should go and read these ad's and ACTUALLY see what it states as the requirements for a 2 PERSON HOUSEHOLD SIZE. They do not SPECIFY whether it's 2 adults. 1 adult 1 child, 1 adult 1 working 18yr old child, ETC... ALSO. I received interviews for several developments! So that means that they did INDEED REVIEW MY APPLICATION INFORMATION and decided that I may be eligible and able for FURTHER PROCESSING. Roscoe Brown, Via Verde, 922 Westchester Ave, etc. out of THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE!
So On these ads It states that your income should begin at like $34,000 and up to $38,000 or sumthing FOR A HOUSEHOLD OF 2. , so OFCOURSE I WILL APPLY .

*** IT DOES NOT SAY, IF YOU ARE THE ONLY WORKING APPLICANT, YOU MUST MAKE LIKE 32,000 OR BELOW. IT NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU NEVER KNOW UNTIL YOU GO THROUGH THE PROCESS. AS I SAID BEFORE

THIS WAS MY<---- EXPERIENCE. IM FORTUNATE TO CURRENTLY HAVE A 2 bedroom APARTMENT AND NOT BE 100% DEPENDENT UPON THESE PLACES.

SOBROGUY, GO SOMEWHERE AND JUDGE SOMEBODY ELSE BCOZ EVERYONE HAS DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE. RESPECT THAT.
AND YOU ARE NOT THE ONE THERE VERIFYING WHO GETS INTO THESE DEVELOPMENTS.
AND I DIDNT WASTE ANYONES TIME.

YOU WASTED YOUR OWN DAMN TIME BY RESPONDING TO SOMETHING THAT DIDNT PERTAIN TO YOU, BCOZ YOU ARENT APPLYING TO THESE PLACES. SO CONTROL YOUR FINGERS AND WHAT YOU TYPE AND DON'T WASTE YOUR OWN TIME BCOZ NO ONE CARES ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT MY<------ PAST EXPERIENCE WITH THAT PROCESS.

I MOVED ON, SO SHOULD YOU.

GO POST ON ANOTHER FORUM THAT YOU CAN RELATE TO,

LIKE "SENIOR CITIZENS OF THE BRONX BRIGADE" !.... LOSER.

YOU MUST HAVE FELT GREAT RESPONDING TO ME LIKE THAT, TYPICAL INSECURE GUY, BEING RUDE ONLINE. BUT WALK WITH A CANE IN THE STREETS.

DO US ALL A FAVOR AND SIGN OFF OF CITY-DATA. COM AND SHUTDOWN YOUR COMPUTER AND GO MAKE SOME COFFEE CON LECHE AND WATCH NOVELAS.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM

65 posts, read 64,276 times
I went through the affordable housing process, and it takes all of 2 minutes to understand the criteria. I applied, spoke with them specifically about what I qualified for during the first interview, and had an answer within 48 hours. You need to take time to understand the requirements, ask questions, and have all necessary documentation.

Based on your comment and manner of speaking above, I think everyone at that development is breathing a sigh of relief that you were rejected.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:28 AM

SoBronxGuy.
Your previous comment was not very useful as it proves that you once again, did not fully read and comprehend my last reply.
You should read a complete response posting before replying off of impulse, in order to refrain from being unnecessarily repetitive.

In conclusive response, I will honestly say
I am breathing a sigh of relief that I do not know YOU personally.
But thank you for your effort at providing your advice to myself and the general public...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or