U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,718,655 times

Advertisements

Actually, for the entire time I worked as a conductor, the single greatest annoyance I ever had to deal with was the sort of homeless person whose stench could empty out an entire car. Unfortunately, I had to go through this pungent experience more than once.

I used to have fantasies of one of those people being put on a train to Coney Island, then forced into the ocean for half an hour. But, like all fantasies, it never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:59 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,903,147 times
This thread should be stickied, in my humble opinion.

Especially for those of you looking to visit our city and um... experience our rail system.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM

...Then, of course, there was the couple busily engaged in having sex on a D train speeding through midtown Manhattan. That didn't seem to annoy anyone. But when they were finished, the guy hung his condom over the grab bar just before the two of them exited the train at 34 Street. That bothered people.

Old 11-10-2011, 11:17 PM

292 posts, read 595,434 times
As a conductor, I will sometimes re-open the doors in a section if I see that you JUST missed the door closing and there are only one or two people at the doors.

However..that re-opening is a "get on the train in the next five seconds, unless you are disabled/elderly/are with a kid/have a lot of packages then I will allow for a slight amount of extra time" COURTESY.

It is NOT an invitation for you to go ahead and hold the door so that your five or six or twenty friends who aren't even halfway down or up the staircase can squeeze in there also. There are hundreds of other passengers on the train, don't be an ass and take advantage of a courtesy.

If I reopen, which I technically am not really supposed to do, and I then see that you will use that opportunity to hold open or block the doors and wait for friends, expect those doors to start closing again and you'd better move out of the way so you can wait for the next train unbruised.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
If I reopen, which I technically am not really supposed to do, and I then see that you will use that opportunity to hold open or block the doors and wait for friends, expect those doors to start closing again and you'd better move out of the way so you can wait for the next train unbruised.
Funny how those of us on this side of the coin have a somewhat different opinion of what constitutes an annoyance on the subway, isn't it?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Funny how those of us on this side of the coin have a somewhat different opinion of what constitutes an annoyance on the subway, isn't it?
SO much, lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:56 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,499,159 times
Quote:
...Then, of course, there was the couple busily engaged in having sex on a D train speeding through midtown Manhattan. That didn't seem to annoy anyone. But when they were finished, the guy hung his condom over the grab bar just before the two of them exited the train at 34 Street. That bothered people.
Ewwwwwww

Old 11-11-2011, 10:14 AM

If people really thought about just what kind of bodily substances ended up on the subway seats, yes, largely due to drunks and the homeless, they would never sit on the subway in shorts or skirts again.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,296,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Well, you're a good conductor for doing that, but it is possible to hold those doors if you really wanted to.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,903,147 times
Quote:
This is pretty tame compared some of the related stories I've heard. Many of which involved neither a prophylactic nor a second individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City