U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-15-2011, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Reputation: 10455

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
A guy once sat down next to me and opened his legs to where his legs and mine met. No problem, but then he started pushing my legs in by opening up his own...
Now that you remind me, I'm adding this to my list of subway peeves. One day I was riding to work and I had a seat at the end of the car--you know, the seats that are supposed to accommodate two people.

Well, a woman got on the train and saw the empty space next to me. The problem was that she was of the large variety--and I'm no anorexic, either. There was just no damn room on that seat for the both of us, which didn't stop her from shoe-horning herself in there.

Let me tell you, you could read it on her face as plain as day: she expected that I was going to be so uncomfortable, I'd get up and let her have the whole seat to herself. What she didn't know was that she was dealing with the wrong customer. I went out of my way to make her as uncomfortable as she was making me. (And knowing I was doing so made me feel a whole lot better!) I got up when the train arrived at my station, and not one moment before.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Reputation: 9034
Quote:
Let me tell you, you could read it on her face as plain as day: she expected that I was going to be so uncomfortable, I'd get up and let her have the whole seat to herself. What she didn't know was that she was dealing with the wrong customer. I went out of my way to make her as uncomfortable as she was making me. (And knowing I was doing so made me feel a whole lot better!) I got up when the train arrived at my station, and not one moment before.
That would have been the perfect time for you to let out a big loud FART!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
 
983 posts, read 669,165 times
Reputation: 1451
Idiots that repeat, through screaming and bad vocals, their profanity-riddled filth, called Hip-Hop or Hardcore Rap. It's so obvious by the smug looks on most of these punks faces that they are trying to **** people off and, think none one is gonna do anything.

Many years ago, some punk tried that when it was only us two in the car. We were at opposite ends, so I -knew- he was screaming it just to see how annoyed I would get. I got up and walked fast towards him, he ran into the next car. (Of course it helped that I was 6ft. 185 lbs. and this guy was ...well about the same height but -obviously- lighter). That felt good to do that... so good...

There are plenty others I'm sure but -This- is my most Hated kind of subway rider.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
 
4,914 posts, read 5,529,090 times
Reputation: 7132
I never understood train delays due to a "sick passenger in the train ahead of us". If you're sick......GET THE HELL OFF!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 12:29 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
243 posts, read 1,177,342 times
Reputation: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood train delays due to a "sick passenger in the train ahead of us". If you're sick......GET THE HELL OFF!!!!
I understand. A lot of times those "sick" passengers are drunks that are passed out on the seats or floor. Sometimes they vomit , sometimes they don't. And usually it is a "good samaritan" passenger who alerts a member of the train crew to this sick "passenger" , as the good samaritan is getting off the train at their stop. Funny that they were not concerned about the person until they were getting off the train at their stop.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2011, 05:27 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,157 posts, read 26,444,908 times
Reputation: 9034
My latest peeve is the SLOW WALKER. Here's the scenario: I am poised to get a seat in a car from which a lot of people are exiting. I am behind SLOW WALKER, usually WIDE. I see 10 free seats but those coming in the other doors quickly grab NINE of them, even those near MY door becasue SLOW WALKER is poking her way into the car. There is no way around her (usually a woman) without almost knocking her over, which I have not yet resorted to.
But then all is well for her because SHE gets the last seat and I have to stand.
It happens over and over and over again.

Inconsiderate people like that FORCE others to be rude.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: New York City
396 posts, read 1,028,247 times
Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My latest peeve is the SLOW WALKER. Here's the scenario: I am poised to get a seat in a car from which a lot of people are exiting. I am behind SLOW WALKER, usually WIDE. I see 10 free seats but those coming in the other doors quickly grab NINE of them, even those near MY door becasue SLOW WALKER is poking her way into the car. There is no way around her (usually a woman) without almost knocking her over, which I have not yet resorted to.
But then all is well for her because SHE gets the last seat and I have to stand.
It happens over and over and over again.

Inconsiderate people like that FORCE others to be rude.
Agreed! And not only does she get the seat but then she gets off the train at the NEXT STOP!
My latest peeve is people who verbally complain that they didn't get a seat. I had a woman tell me that she "deserved" a seat on a crowded D because she had been walking around all day and assumed I was getting off at 59th and she was going to 145th.
I proceeded to inform her that I was actually going to Kingsbridge to pick up my car, that I had also been on my feet all day and that because she did not look pregnant, was not elderly and was only getting off at 145th, she wouldn't be getting my seat. Moreover, I explained that if she wanted a seat so badly, she could cough up the money for a cab, or better yet a car.
This scenario has happened three times, twice a straphanger talking to me and another to another person.

Last but not least, people who pop and chew their gum like a cow eating grass. I can not begin to convey how annoying this is, I don't think the English language has the words to describe it. Luckily, headphones are a easy remedy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
2,868 posts, read 4,042,391 times
Reputation: 5229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
My latest peeve is the SLOW WALKER. Here's the scenario: I am poised to get a seat in a car from which a lot of people are exiting. I am behind SLOW WALKER, usually WIDE. I see 10 free seats but those coming in the other doors quickly grab NINE of them, even those near MY door becasue SLOW WALKER is poking her way into the car. There is no way around her (usually a woman) without almost knocking her over, which I have not yet resorted to.
But then all is well for her because SHE gets the last seat and I have to stand.
It happens over and over and over again.

Inconsiderate people like that FORCE others to be rude.
Ahhhhh, the "slow walker" ~ So Frustrating!!! That same scenario has happened to me too many times.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
 
960 posts, read 1,171,199 times
Reputation: 770
I don't care about people leaning on the poles or whatever. People may be tired. People might be in a rush. That's life, deal with it.

What I will never deal with are ghetto loud people on the train. 100% of the time in my experience they are black, and are mostly females.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
 
1,494 posts, read 2,259,607 times
Reputation: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Last but not least, people who pop and chew their gum like a cow eating grass. I can not begin to convey how annoying this is, I don't think the English language has the words to describe it. Luckily, headphones are a easy remedy.
ARRRGGGG! I hate gum poppers. I had a migraine on the train ride home, threatened to crush a teenage gum popper's nose bridge up into her brain unless she cut it out. She did the smart thing and went to the next car to annoy them instead. I usually don't make it a habit to threaten violence, but each pop sound was like sticking an ice pick into my ears.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top