U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,915,024 times

Advertisements

[quote=checkmatechamp13[LOL! That'd definitely show him. I mean, if your girlfriend is standing right there and isn't disagreeing with your comment about her getting motion sickness, what's so unbelievable about it.[/quote]

She at times thinks it funny when people notice that she pregnant and i'm sitting down and she standing up .She told the one gentlemen who offered her his seat that if she sitting down she get sick from the motion of the subway car and the reason why i sitting in front of her is to keep him mind off the ride as long as she facing me when she riding the subway she fine with the motion of the subway car when it moving .

She told him it my job to do the clean up anything tha happens or if she get sick on me that part of the job that i signed up for when i got her pregnant .
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM

8 posts, read 35,579 times
On the tube in London people never, ever talk to strangers. You could be extremely drunk or partially naked or eating hot stinky food and people would still be far less upset than if you asked them if what the line to transfer to. If someone (usually an American tourist, tbh) asks someone something in one of the carriages, every eye turns and stares at the person like they're a giant cockroach.

Is it like this in NYC, too? I'm not talking about a "people generally aren't chatty" big city vibe, but an actual taboo on speaking on the subway.

Anyway, my biggest pet peeve are tourists who try to take ALL their suitcases on the tube at rush hour. If you want to take the tube to the airport instead of a taxi, pack light or get a later flight!! I actually heard one woman complaining to her husband that people were rude because no one volunteered to help them get their (freakin giant) suitcases down the stairs...I was so incensed, lol.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM

396 posts, read 1,028,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantine View Post
On the tube in London people never, ever talk to strangers. You could be extremely drunk or partially naked or eating hot stinky food and people would still be far less upset than if you asked them if what the line to transfer to. If someone (usually an American tourist, tbh) asks someone something in one of the carriages, every eye turns and stares at the person like they're a giant cockroach.

Is it like this in NYC, too? I'm not talking about a "people generally aren't chatty" big city vibe, but an actual taboo on speaking on the subway.

Anyway, my biggest pet peeve are tourists who try to take ALL their suitcases on the tube at rush hour. If you want to take the tube to the airport instead of a taxi, pack light or get a later flight!! I actually heard one woman complaining to her husband that people were rude because no one volunteered to help them get their (freakin giant) suitcases down the stairs...I was so incensed, lol.
In my experience, it has been the opposite. New Yorker's love to help tourist and point them in the right direction. If someone asked how to get somewhere, people usually jump right in and offer their advice.

The only annoying thing is when someone holds the doors to the train and asks "Is this the A" when A is clearly visible on the outside of the train.

I usually help women with their large suitcases, especially flight attendants I'll also help women with strollers or elderly people with large parcels. One time coming back from JFK, I did not feel like waiting on the taxi line and just took the train into the city with three large suitcases and a duffel bag. No one helped, but everyone stared. I did not really bother me at all, ad I just tried not to draw much attention to myself.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:30 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Just here to vent because I'm in a bad mood and didn't have time to stop for my morning coffee yet. On the train this AM, and I get hit with the trifecta of subway aggravation (mind you, this train is PACKED). Here goes:

1) The Pole-leaner: Finally find a part of the pole to grab (lol, that's what she said!), only to have one of those pole-leaners think that it's completely appropriate to lean their back against the knuckles of other riders who are holding the pole.

2) The Swayer: Every train has at least one. The guy who refuses to hold on to anything then acts surprised and all apologetic as he goes FLYING into 5 random strangers when the train stops. It's usually all in the name of him being able to read his newspaper or poke at his ipad and drink his coffee at the same time. This morning's swayer knocked pole-leaner's dirty, oily hair into my hand.

3) The backpacker: Another daily rush hour occurrence. The one Appalachian man who is on his way uptown for a hike of the Catskills or something. He's got the giant north face stuffed to the brim with organic granola, and instead of taking the damn thing off and shoving it between his legs, he finds it completely acceptable to repeatedly whack you in the face with it.

The Swayer got a dirty look, the Backpacker got my elbow, but the Pole Leaner, well The ONLY reason I didn't say anything was because I couldn't figure out if she was pregnant or just fat. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that she was just fat. I hate when that happens -- especially when you give up your seat to a fat chick because you think she's with baby.

Anyway, I'm done being cranky. Feel free to add your own top subway grievances below. Have a good day all!
I think I love you.
I hope this isn't awkward.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:44 PM

292 posts, read 595,600 times
As a conductor, I have to point this out. That yellow strip with raised bumps at the edge of the platform? Try not to stand or walk on it. For one, it is there primarily for the blind to be able to determine where the edge of the platform is. Also, when you are standing on that strip, the train crew cannot see through you to see if anyone ahead of you is too close to the edge when there is an incoming train, and the conductor cannot see around you when he/she is trying to close the doors or make sure we aren't dragging anyone with the departing train.

Yellow strip: Not an acceptable waiting/pedestrian area.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:41 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,904,264 times
Why has no one published a book on NYC Subway wackiness? It would be thicker than "War and Peace."

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Why has no one published a book on NYC Subway wackiness? It would be thicker than "War and Peace."
Maybe because nobody would believe it. They'd take it for granted that it was a work of fiction!

(Seriously, though, you won't find such a book written by any transit workers, because when we got hired, we signed a piece of paper agreeing not to. I, personally, am completely capable of writing a book like that...but I'm not especially interested to find myself on the wrong side of a lawsuit by MTA).

Old 01-10-2012, 07:48 AM

412 posts, read 1,159,496 times
My subway annoyances:

* The tourists who push to get into one entrance of the train, then don't hold on to the pole and go flying on top of everyone and start laughing.

* The tourists that step on your feet and just look at you and smile or look at you with that blank face.

Folks that feel no matter how big the space is they are going to squeeze their big behinds in it and act like it's nothing.

* The yawners, coughers, sneezers that don't cover their mouths.

* The low cow munching gum chewers.

* The parents that let their child use the subway car as their playground.

* The Knapsackers that feel it's ok not to take your bag off your shoulders and hit everyone as they walk by.

* The men who will act like they are sleeping, reading or whatever so they won't have to give their seat to a pregnant or elderly women/

* The men that acutally run to get a seat just so they can beat another, which is likely a woman to it.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,904,264 times
Got a new one.

Went on the train last night at Union Square. A wannabe rapper gets in and the entertainment commences. He starts to do some Public Enemy songs like "Shut 'em Down", etc. Not only is he rapping poorly (he forgot half the words and just mumbles his way through the song) but he's doing it as loudly and as obnoxiously as possible AND he's casually getting in the face of select people on this crowded car while butchering this song. After about 10 minutes of this, he starts to "preach" ( I think ) while pacing up and down the car, talking to someone that I think only he sees.

Then he finally leaves at 125th. As the train makes its way to the Bronx, the woman sitting across from me - she starts crying with laughter.

Just another day.

Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
The other day, I was working in the 59 Street tower, and we heard from a downtown B train at 110 Street. The crew found themselves in a position where they had to isolate a car. Our Command Center wanted to know why, so the Train Operator got on the radio and practically shouted, "Some guy took a sh*t in the first car!"

I think that would qualify as a subway annoyance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City