U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

4,163 posts, read 3,453,938 times

Advertisements

strollers, and bikes should be OUTLAWED on the subways and trains.

i just hate panhandlers, going in between the cars asking for handouts, and they probably live better than all of us. let us enjoy the ride in peace.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM

559 posts, read 929,177 times
One evening, I was at the 96th Street station when there were delays on the 1, 2, and 3 trains. When a 1 train finally pulled in, lots of us rushed to the surprisingly empty car. Why was it empty? There was a homeless man, whose stench was unbelievably disgusting. When we realized our mistake, we started to back out, but the doors closed, and I overheard one old woman moan in anguish. There was nothing we could do but to wait until 72nd Street and, in the meantime, breathe through our mouths and be as far away as possible from the stinker--and believe me, he was at one end and we were packed at the other end, but we were still dying!

When we got to 72nd Street station, there was a mad rush, and I pushed and showed my way out. I may even have elbowed the same old lady who had earlier moaned in anguish.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:20 PM

10,328 posts, read 12,427,686 times
Default Ninja on the F train.

Was seated yesterday across from a guy with a full face ski mask and hood. He took up the whole seat, And was eying me and other passengers hard. The guy next to me of course takes out his iphone-Oblivious to the foxy eyed Ninja across from us. Everyone looked nervous. he got off without incident, Perhaps due to the really big rough looking guy standing by the door, Who began eying him.

Big scary guy later helped an elderly woman with a large bag off the subway. Way cool guy!!

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,311,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
The agile young men that quickly steal seats before the elderly and pregnant reach them. I've seen several times a 8+ month pregnant woman struggling to stand when no one will get up for her.
First, how do you know if those people needed the seat, as much, perhaps more, than the pregnant women? You can never know what someone's health condition is.

Moreover, whose responsibility is the pregnant women's condition? Whose? Who is responsible for people who CHOOSE to become pregnant, yet cannot afford to forego the Subway---particularly during rush hour?

Mine?

Sorry, not mine.

It is not my responsibility to make things easier for people who make incorrect choices. In fact, things should be made HARDER! The harder things are the greater the likelihood people, women, will use some intelligence with regard to their procreation and sexual activities.

Irresponsibility should not be rewarded.

My opinion and my action.

Quote:
Also the obese that take up enough room on a seat that normally 2.5 people could sit on.
Like the pregnant women????

Selective prejudice!

What about someone like me, who is taller and larger than the average little and/or thin person on the subway? There are large people who are not obese!

Is your issue that some people take up more space than what YOU consider normal; or, is it that you just have a problem with those you deem "obsese"?

Everybody pays their fare, everybody rides, and no one has any entitlement more or less than anyone else.

This is the sort of 'selective prejudice' practiced by Nazis and other Totalitarians.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,311,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Hope you don't mind but I just have to comment on this thread. I tried to stay out as I am not from NY...but traveled there many times. And yes, I rode the subway.

I can see where it would be annoying to say the least. But these posts are hilarious, truthful, scary....it seems just an entire world of folks all stuffed into one car... so many types of people, with so many backgrounds. And so many ideas of what is polite. Or not.

Kudos to those of you who ride daily.
Excellent perception, and precisely why the Subway s/b avoided as much as possible.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:07 AM

31 posts, read 57,087 times
Today as I was getting onto the R train at 18th avenue at about 7:30 this morning, the jackass lady in front of me gets partially on the train, STOPS at the door, in the middle of the doorway (barely even in the damn car) and is looking around the car for a seat. Really?? You stop IN THE DOORWAY during rushhour, so no one can get around you, to strategize about which seat you want? REALLY???

Needless to say, people coming in through the other doors took the remaining seats while she was mulling it over, and I pushed into her and went past her, and ended up getting the last seat on the train :-)

and what about people who walk slooooowly up the steps. Come on! people have places to go, what the hell are you doing?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:10 AM

uhh, yes, everyone DOES pay their fare--that fare entitles you to ONE SEAT. If your big ass is taking up two seats, get up! If you're pregnant, different story--I'd put that in the same category as a disability (albeit a temporary one). But just overweight? No, I'm sorry, you do not have a right to two seats on a crowded car. This is why some airlines are having obese passengers pay for two seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
First, how do you know if those people needed the seat, as much, perhaps more, than the pregnant women? You can never know what someone's health condition is.

Moreover, whose responsibility is the pregnant women's condition? Whose? Who is responsible for people who CHOOSE to become pregnant, yet cannot afford to forego the Subway---particularly during rush hour?

Mine?

Sorry, not mine.

It is not my responsibility to make things easier for people who make incorrect choices. In fact, things should be made HARDER! The harder things are the greater the likelihood people, women, will use some intelligence with regard to their procreation and sexual activities.

Irresponsibility should not be rewarded.

My opinion and my action.

Like the pregnant women????

Selective prejudice!

What about someone like me, who is taller and larger than the average little and/or thin person on the subway? There are large people who are not obese!

Is your issue that some people take up more space than what YOU consider normal; or, is it that you just have a problem with those you deem "obsese"?

Everybody pays their fare, everybody rides, and no one has any entitlement more or less than anyone else.

This is the sort of 'selective prejudice' practiced by Nazis and other Totalitarians.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:32 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianyc84 View Post
Today as I was getting onto the R train at 18th avenue at about 7:30 this morning, the jackass lady in front of me gets partially on the train, STOPS at the door, in the middle of the doorway (barely even in the damn car) and is looking around the car for a seat. Really?? You stop IN THE DOORWAY during rushhour, so no one can get around you, to strategize about which seat you want? REALLY???

Needless to say, people coming in through the other doors took the remaining seats while she was mulling it over, and I pushed into her and went past her, and ended up getting the last seat on the train :-)

and what about people who walk slooooowly up the steps. Come on! people have places to go, what the hell are you doing?
The R train doesn't stop at 18th Ave, the N train does. I would know since I am at that station every day.

Old 01-20-2012, 09:41 AM

What do you want, a metal? I am also at that station every day, I live two blocks from it. Clearly I typed the wrong f*cking letter. I transfer from the N to the R as part of my commute.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:52 AM

51,310 posts, read 50,558,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianyc84 View Post
What do you want, a metal? ... Clearly I typed the wrong f*cking letter.
Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes, I am going to hell. No need to tell me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City