U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,904,264 times

Advertisements

Today would be a good day to add "Championship Parade Goers" to the list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 PM

292 posts, read 595,600 times
As a conductor I reiterate..when you are waiting for or getting off a train, PLEASE do not walk/meander/loiter on that yellow strip at the edge of the platform. a) it is un(afe for you and b) I cannot see through you when I am trying to make sure everyone is in or out of the doors before I close them. (I also don't want people passing that close to my face, but that's another story, lol.)

Old 02-08-2012, 09:26 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,731,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
As a conductor I reiterate..when you are waiting for or getting off a train, PLEASE do not walk/meander/loiter on that yellow strip at the edge of the platform. a) it is un(afe for you and b) I cannot see through you when I am trying to make sure everyone is in or out of the doors before I close them. (I also don't want people passing that close to my face, but that's another story, lol.)
And as a former conductor, I vouch for what Artzilla said. (Double for people who had to get that close to my face).

I remember one day when an older gentleman--I mean to say, a very impatient older gentleman--had some emergency question or other that had to be answered yesterday. When I opened my cab window, he practically stuck his head and shoulders into my cab and began shouting his question at me.

My first reaction was to shout right back at him, "Get your head out of my cab!" I think he almost pissed in his pants, I frightened him that badly. Then I instructed him not to do any such thing ever again. When he stopped shaking, I answered his question.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,636,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Today would be a good day to add "Championship Parade Goers" to the list.
Ah yes , yesterday was a mess...I had to wait for 10 trains to go Downtown , each train that pulled into GCT quickly filled with Gaints Fans , trains bypassed Wall Street , Chambers street , and exits were closed at Fulton Street... Ironically i wasn't even supposed to be in the city yesterday , I was go to go for a walk in Westchester , but on my way there a wave a Gaints fans started pushing and shoveling there way onto the E train and I go slightly banged up on my legs....idiots.....so i decided to go to Brooklyn which was a pain...

Old 02-08-2012, 10:52 AM

7,846 posts, read 10,260,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
An example of something that happened to me on the Q on Sat night. A young woman was standing holding her sleeping little girl. No one moved. I was sitting, And caught her eye and motioned her to sit down. As I stood up, A "gentleman" began eying the seat like a wolf seeing a pork chop and moved in. I told him "sir, it's for the gal." He tried to stare me down while the train was going over the bridge. I swore this was the day I was going to fight in my work suit. He got off at DeKalb. Good riddance.

Despite being a new yorker for 30 years, My patience has limits. To the rude, The thugs, the people who are disrupting the lives of people who actually BRING something to the table. Your'e all a bunch of BUMS!!
Oh I see this all the time. I have given up my seat to an elderly person, pregnant woman, etc when young able bodied men or even females just sat. Twice it happened to me where I was giving my seat to a woman with child and someone tried to swoop in. I have zero tolerance for lack of respect. There's a guy I see almost every day and he's the type that will knock his mamma out of the way for that seat. It's one thing if you take the seat because it's near you but to literally step right in front of me and basically push me to the side then I consider the guy to be a pos. And let me not start again on the pole hoggers

Old 02-08-2012, 12:30 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,729,063 times
People that feel the need to "set up camp" around a seat. Put their legs up, plant bags next to them, etc. Had one yesterday on Metro North like that.

Same for people who feel the need to do work on the train ride home. If you have that much work to do, either stay in the office or wait till you get home. Your laptop does not need to be nudging me in the knee. (This goes for Starbucks Squatters as well, but that's a thread for another day).

The person who is standing in front of you while you're seated practically daring you to leave your seat. They hover on top of you so much that you want to shove them back.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjanna74 View Post
People that feel the need to "set up camp" around a seat. Put their legs up, plant bags next to them, etc. Had one yesterday on Metro North like that.

Same for people who feel the need to do work on the train ride home. If you have that much work to do, either stay in the office or wait till you get home. Your laptop does not need to be nudging me in the knee. (This goes for Starbucks Squatters as well, but that's a thread for another day).

The person who is standing in front of you while you're seated practically daring you to leave your seat. They hover on top of you so much that you want to shove them back.
One day a young lady was sitting in the seat right next to the train door and she was on her laptop. The guy standing next to her had his back against the door so he was able to look down and see exactly what she was doing. She got all bent out of shape and threw the old, "Do you mind?" at him. His response was basically that she's in public and right where he can see it. If she didn't want anyone to see then she shouldn't be on her laptop on the train. And it wasn't a tiny notebook. It was one of those 19-22 inch laptops.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:55 PM

2,898 posts, read 4,933,298 times
Add Crazy or mentally unstable people to the list.

Today I had a crazy lady reading a book, leaning into me when the train wasn't even crowded, wtf?!?!

When I asked 'why are you leaning against me'? she replied 'S T F U, you got plenty of room!!'
I was stading against the doors and she was leaning against me, so I had NO room.

luckily I had to get off on the next stop.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:17 PM

10,328 posts, read 12,427,686 times
Default D. Scott's experience last night and today.

Last night. Dude staring at me like Chuck Norris in Lone wolf McQuade when they kill his girlfriend. I read the paper, Fiddled with the Cell phone. No help. Was an older guy well dressed. Why???

3 hours ago. A lady eating a roast beef sandwich, Slobbering over it right next to me. it was one of those old-school big as your head sandwiches with the cheese. They are great. But not if it lands in my lap. I changed seats.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Last night. Dude staring at me like Chuck Norris in Lone wolf McQuade when they kill his girlfriend. I read the paper, Fiddled with the Cell phone. No help. Was an older guy well dressed. Why??? Maybe he was checkin' ya out

3 hours ago. A lady eating a roast beef sandwich, Slobbering over it right next to me. it was one of those old-school big as your head sandwiches with the cheese. They are great. But not if it lands in my lap. I changed seats.

I'm sorry, but that was too funny!! If it's any consolation, a woman sat next to me eating a beef patty and it took her like 20 minutes. Who takes that long to eat a beef patty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City