U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,770,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have a new schedule at work, One that I leave during some of the kids getting out of school. Just today 2 of them were roughhousing and the kid got pushed out of his seat and bumped into an elderly woman! Luckily the train was still and she was not frail. instead of apologizing, he went back to his seat and when others told them to calm down he began cursing everyone out and throwing a fit, With small children around. Disgusting. They say kids are future...By the looks of it we are doomed. So sick of the gangsta/thug wanna-be's who not only have no common sense, But have no regard for other people. And it's wondered why they die young by getting shot, being in gangs/drugs etc. This is a bit harsh compared to my normal posts, But I will not censor myself. Not today.

A sweet old lady, Someones grandma. Maybe it was yours.
Sadly, if you want to say something to defend another person such as that older woman, you don't know how they'll react and end up causing you harm. It's sad, it really is. Absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 PM

292 posts, read 614,260 times
I can't remember if I mentioned this..but something that really bugs me as a conductor are people that continue to look for "the perfect subway car" even after it is made clear that the doors are closing. No, that is not the time to be casually strolling alongside the train, passing up door after open door on a semi-filled car in favor of that door one car down from you. I will close the doors and you need to be inside the train when I do or you will get pinched between them. I will not open all the doors in the car, I will open only the specific doors on the affected car, briefly, to correct the problem. Pay attention to what's going on. People wait for trains, trains don't wait for people.

Something else I saw today at one of the L shuttle stops between 8th Ave and Lorimer: some genius mother running to catch the train as the doors closed, with her small child hanging on to her hand, behind her.

One of two things is going to happen here. The door is going to close on the mother with her arm still outside the door, with the kid hanging onto it, all alone on the platform where anyone could snatch him or her away, or the mother will get in the car and the small kid will get caught in the closing doors.

If you are a parent with a small child in tow, who is stupid enough to go running for a traincar as the doors are closing, (because it is of course the last train on the planet), at least have braincells enough to be holding the kid in your arms when you attempt to board the train. I saw the woman with the kid being dragged behind her and I managed to catch the doors to reopen them before they closed all the way, but I really prefer not to have to protect people's kids for them.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I can't remember if I mentioned this..but something that really bugs me as a conductor are people that continue to look for "the perfect subway car" even after it is made clear that the doors are closing.
That made me smile! I remember one afternoon I was working on the R train, and we were in the station at DeKalb Avenue. One man was walking down the platform, a phenomenon I didn't take any particular note of. But the moment I closed the doors, he turned around and looked at me with shock painted all over his face. That's when I realized he wasn't heading for an exit; he was looking for that perfect car.

Just as the train started to move, I said to him, "What makes one car better than another? Just get on the train next time." And the sounds of his violent cursing echoed through the station as we pulled out.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:54 AM

10,596 posts, read 13,087,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That made me smile! I remember one afternoon I was working on the R train, and we were in the station at DeKalb Avenue. One man was walking down the platform, a phenomenon I didn't take any particular note of. But the moment I closed the doors, he turned around and looked at me with shock painted all over his face. That's when I realized he wasn't heading for an exit; he was looking for that perfect car.

Just as the train started to move, I said to him, "What makes one car better than another? Just get on the train next time." And the sounds of his violent cursing echoed through the station as we pulled out.
Not much, But I do this if I want to get away from a kook or there is puke in the car. At least one car has puke during the weekends.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:40 PM

860 posts, read 1,119,042 times
I hate the backpacker!!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:54 PM

7,846 posts, read 10,770,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
I can't remember if I mentioned this..but something that really bugs me as a conductor are people that continue to look for "the perfect subway car" even after it is made clear that the doors are closing. No, that is not the time to be casually strolling alongside the train, passing up door after open door on a semi-filled car in favor of that door one car down from you. I will close the doors and you need to be inside the train when I do or you will get pinched between them. I will not open all the doors in the car, I will open only the specific doors on the affected car, briefly, to correct the problem. Pay attention to what's going on. People wait for trains, trains don't wait for people.

Something else I saw today at one of the L shuttle stops between 8th Ave and Lorimer: some genius mother running to catch the train as the doors closed, with her small child hanging on to her hand, behind her.

One of two things is going to happen here. The door is going to close on the mother with her arm still outside the door, with the kid hanging onto it, all alone on the platform where anyone could snatch him or her away, or the mother will get in the car and the small kid will get caught in the closing doors.

If you are a parent with a small child in tow, who is stupid enough to go running for a traincar as the doors are closing, (because it is of course the last train on the planet), at least have braincells enough to be holding the kid in your arms when you attempt to board the train. I saw the woman with the kid being dragged behind her and I managed to catch the doors to reopen them before they closed all the way, but I really prefer not to have to protect people's kids for them.
I am guilty of that but not because I'm looking for the perfect car. I want to be at the end of the platform because the train stops right in my building and the last car is right by the exit. My stop is extremely crowded so walking to the exit from the middle of the platform is like swimming upstream with the wind blowing at you 100 mph. I get nowhere.

When I travel with my daughter, we don't run, we don't stand at the edge. We don't even walk near the edge. Some parents just don't have that common sense. I've seen them running with the stroller. Same scenario. Doors about to close on the stroller while the "mother" is flinging "eff" bombs.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:36 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGreenDown View Post
I hate the backpacker!!!!
And their close relatives, the people who put suitcases or large boxes on the seat, so someone else has to stand.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,100,680 times
How about those dudes that stand on the door and don't even move to let people in or out?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:32 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,869,042 times
I can't stand the people who when you get in and take a seat, they give you the evil eye for taking the seat. As if it had their name on it and how dare you take it from them.

Old 02-14-2012, 02:16 PM

10,596 posts, read 13,087,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
How about those dudes that stand on the door and don't even move to let people in or out?
Ooooh, These are a rude bunch indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City