U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2012, 04:10 PM

400 posts, read 833,219 times

Advertisements

If people take up two seats on the subway/bus, THEY SHOULD PAY FOR TWO SEATS.

I go to f'in central bookings for sleeping on a relatively EMPTY train and the revenue generating robot (NYPD officer) says im taking up two seats and thats illegal/infraction.

Sometimes these people are so endlessly obese they can take up three seats, but no ticket(s).....
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 PM

10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
I sometimes take up one and a half seats on the 7 train because the seats are made for people who weigh 100 pounds. Maybe the MTA could make seats that are even smaller (say, for people who weigh 70 pounds) and then ticket EVERYONE. The MTA would make quite a bit of money this way and fares would go down.

I am going to congratulate myself for coming up with a smart idea to go along with this smart thread.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:51 PM

22 posts, read 14,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post

I go to f'in central bookings for sleeping on a relatively EMPTY train and the revenue generating robot (NYPD officer) says im taking up two seats and thats illegal/infraction.

Sometimes these people are so endlessly obese they can take up three seats, but no ticket(s).....
Better yet, make them ride a bike.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:55 PM

10,333 posts, read 12,433,799 times
Default It can be uncomfortable..

Being squeezed when someone with a large girth is next to you.

I get more miffed by seeing people treating the seats like a lounge chair, With their dirty a** feet on where people sit. The lack of etiquette....

Back to the "Subway nuisance thread" in the NYC forum maybe...???

Old 03-19-2012, 05:49 PM

142 posts, read 301,633 times
I'm fat and I get mad when fatter people try to squish next to me- I KNOW I'm overweight and I know the size of my a$$ enough to be able to gauge when I can or cannot fit into a seat - I go out of my way not to squish others, the same way I don't want to be squished by someone who's 250 lbs. However, it's not just fat people who take up 2 seats - plenty of times I've been stuck next to a slim person on the bus who is taking up half my seat with their legs wide open - close them or else you should pay for 2 seats as well.

Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM

2,593 posts, read 3,731,127 times
The person that feels the need to check their phone while blocking the turnstile.

The person that spreads the newspaper so far wide that you wonder how long before you get a papercut on your nose from it.

The person who refuses to turn the sound down on their phone while playing Angry Birds. (This I see almost every day).

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,861,242 times
My only really issues are when people don't use deoderant or when they clip their finger nails in front of me.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,737,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlushingRepresenter View Post
When you pay your fare to enter the subway (let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt and pretend that nobody is fare-beating), the only thing you're actually entitled to is the right to ride the trains. You're not allowed to take up two seats--it is technically possible to be fined for this, although I can tell you that for all the time I was a conductor, I never saw this fine handed out. I've seen cops make sleepers get up because they were taking up more than one seat, but that's about all.

Personally, I wish your idea was enforceable. Let people use two seats, but they should pay extra for it.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,076,906 times
faces looking ugly for no reason other than sharing the same oxygen.

Old 03-20-2012, 09:12 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,904,906 times
"Talking loud on the phone."

For that guy who's talking so loud and obnoxiously on his cell phone - as if he's the only one in the car - having as um.... "graphic" a conversation as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City