U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM

292 posts, read 595,930 times

Advertisements

Here's one I am starting to see more and more of..people thinking they can bring their non-service dogs onto the train on a leash, out of a carrier. You cannot. You can't just bring your family pooch onto the subway to get from point a to point b, unless it is small enough to fit (and STAY in) a carrier. It has to be a trained service animal, it has to be traveling with the person who needs it, or its trainer, and the human accompanying said animal should be able to show that it is a service animal.

Today there was a lady who appeared absolutely shocked when I informed her that her purebreed, thigh-high size dog, who was on a regular old leash, could not ride with her on the train since he was not a service animal, she claimed that this was the first she had ever heard of such a thing. In the last three weeks I have seen, on the A and the B trains, people with those stupid, yappy looking lap dogs, the teacup size ones, walking them around on leashes and claiming they were service animals, and one boxer type dog with a bunch of kids, all of whom appeared to be perfectly abled in every way, as have been every other person I have approached about having an animal not in a carrier, in the subway.

Transit employees can only pursue it so much, (which is to say not very far) and we are careful not to hassle people, knowing that there are legal lines and entitlements, and frankly, we don't want to start any unpleasantness or make anything more difficult for anyone, especially for those who really do have a disability that they need assistance with.

But for people who are not actually traveling with a legitimate service animal, have some consideration that you are traveling in a confined space with many other people, some of whom may have real allergies or deathly phobias of dogs.

Service animals, are specifically trained to stay focused and mission oriented, and pets generally are not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 AM

457 posts, read 511,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
faces looking ugly for no reason other than sharing the same oxygen.
One of the reasons why i usually take a really early AM train to avoid a crowded train. Some people just like to hate another person for no reason. And they usually select a person who has no impact on their life not the drug dealer, gangbanger, serial killer, etc.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:17 AM

880 posts, read 1,664,016 times
So..I have a question.

A pervert on the subway was staring, winking and smiling at me (in a very disturbing way). He was doing it throughout the whole subway ride. I captured a video of him and as soon as he saw me filming him, he looked away. I think i captured everything he was doing...should I upload it or am I overreacting?

Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 AM

11,795 posts, read 9,726,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
So..I have a question.

A pervert on the subway was staring, winking and smiling at me (in a very disturbing way). He was doing it throughout the whole subway ride. I captured a video of him and as soon as he saw me filming him, he looked away. I think i captured everything he was doing...should I upload it or am I overreacting?
Yeah, put it on Youtube and shame him to the world. Plus we could use a good laugh.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 AM

10,333 posts, read 12,433,799 times
Default Why brown bag it?

Saw a guy with a bottle of Olde English malt liquor right out in the open. No attempt to conceal it at all last night on the Q at 9:00 PM. Gutsy!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:01 AM

5,545 posts, read 1,745,728 times
I hate backpackers, fat people who occupy more than one seat, people who sneeze and cough, people who lean on poles, people who block the doors, people who hold the doors, homeless people stinking up trains, people who clip their nails, pick their nose, eat food, and play loud music on the train.

Did I miss anything else?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:07 AM

596 posts, read 1,380,794 times
The Leaner is the worst. I've had it out for those guys for years now.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:22 AM

3,333 posts, read 3,288,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artzilla View Post
Here's one I am starting to see more and more of..people thinking they can bring their non-service dogs onto the train on a leash, out of a carrier. You cannot. You can't just bring your family pooch onto the subway to get from point a to point b, unless it is small enough to fit (and STAY in) a carrier. It has to be a trained service animal, it has to be traveling with the person who needs it, or its trainer, and the human accompanying said animal should be able to show that it is a service animal.

Today there was a lady who appeared absolutely shocked when I informed her that her purebreed, thigh-high size dog, who was on a regular old leash, could not ride with her on the train since he was not a service animal, she claimed that this was the first she had ever heard of such a thing. In the last three weeks I have seen, on the A and the B trains, people with those stupid, yappy looking lap dogs, the teacup size ones, walking them around on leashes and claiming they were service animals, and one boxer type dog with a bunch of kids, all of whom appeared to be perfectly abled in every way, as have been every other person I have approached about having an animal not in a carrier, in the subway.

Transit employees can only pursue it so much, (which is to say not very far) and we are careful not to hassle people, knowing that there are legal lines and entitlements, and frankly, we don't want to start any unpleasantness or make anything more difficult for anyone, especially for those who really do have a disability that they need assistance with.

But for people who are not actually traveling with a legitimate service animal, have some consideration that you are traveling in a confined space with many other people, some of whom may have real allergies or deathly phobias of dogs.

Service animals, are specifically trained to stay focused and mission oriented, and pets generally are not.
I've seen this more and more as well and I'm pretty sure these have to be transplants. No native would dare pull this.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 AM

10,333 posts, read 12,433,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photography View Post
I hate backpackers, fat people who occupy more than one seat, people who sneeze and cough, people who lean on poles, people who block the doors, people who hold the doors, homeless people stinking up trains, people who clip their nails, pick their nose, eat food, and play loud music on the train.

Did I miss anything else?
You summed it up pretty well in one paragraph. See at least a few of these per ride.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 22,954 times
This thread is a mile long and most regular annoyances have probably been covered (especially the pole leaners, my personal favorites), but I haven't read through all of the posts. I wonder if anyone has mentioned the d-bags who take their bicycles on rush hour trains? This is only ever acceptable if a bridge has collapsed or you have a flat tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City