Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised no one has pitched a reality show or written a book based on NYC subway wackiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:01 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
That's a good idea. I would watch. It would have to be more interesting than shows about idiot tow-truck drivers.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:04 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,608,769 times
I was just reminded of another incident. Now that school is in full swing, I'm sure I will see this more and more.

This was 2 months ago. My boss and I were heading to our accountant's office for a meeting. About 30 or 40 kids from the same day camp group are in the car. They are singing and chanting some loud songs the whole time. While this didn't really bother me too much (because at least they were just singing and not acting like idiots) my boss wasn't willing to deal with it anymore, and we transferred to another train.

However there have been times when I was in a car with a class full of kids on what was obviously a class trip for them, and they were clearly not being properly supervised. Just wondering if getting on the train for trips is now the norm? I remember growing up we always took a school bus for trips.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:30 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Just so long as they don't start singing Ninety-nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall. I'd have to get off at the next stop.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:16 PM

2,871 posts, read 4,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Just so long as they don't start singing Ninety-nine Bottles of Beer on the Wall. I'd have to get off at the next stop.
LMAO -

Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss J 74 View Post
I was just reminded of another incident. Now that school is in full swing, I'm sure I will see this more and more.

This was 2 months ago. My boss and I were heading to our accountant's office for a meeting. About 30 or 40 kids from the same day camp group are in the car. They are singing and chanting some loud songs the whole time. While this didn't really bother me too much (because at least they were just singing and not acting like idiots) my boss wasn't willing to deal with it anymore, and we transferred to another train.

However there have been times when I was in a car with a class full of kids on what was obviously a class trip for them, and they were clearly not being properly supervised. Just wondering if getting on the train for trips is now the norm? I remember growing up we always took a school bus for trips.

The school probably doesn't have it in their budget to rent a school bus for the day.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:51 PM

292 posts, read 704,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Throw me off your train because you don't like how my dog is behaving and I will make it a federal case. I expect my dog to be aware of what is going on around me, specifically anything my dog perceives to be a threat to me since I cannot hear what is going on.
I thought it was more than obvious that I was referring to animals that are acting as actual nuisances--physically disturbing and threatening other passengers unprovoked. In those cases the law will not be on your side and transit is fully within its rights to have that animal removed from the train. But yes, feel free to take something like THAT to court and see how far you get.

I am MORE than familiar with what transit does and does not allow, and at this point I recognize that people will do what they will do and I will only step in if the animal is causing a real problem.

People bring their non service-non-contained dogs on the subway all the time, and at this point, all I do is watch these dogs lie on the floors of the train and know that they are licking the same subway floors that people vomit, urinate, and defecate on and which then get cleaned with bleach and other chemicals.

There is a big difference between service animals that serve a real purpose being on the train, like for the blind and deaf, and people bringing their freaking pet pitbull/Rotweiller/other big dog or yappy obnoxious lap canine onto a subway train without having them in a carrier, as they are legally required to do if they are not service animals.

And by the way, YES, we are allowed legally to ask what service the animal provides. If the owner refuses to answer and the animal does not appear to be a service animal, then we are allowed to call the transit police to have them removed.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 PM

142 posts, read 315,921 times
dont forget about people who eat on the train as well .. nobody wants to see all that or smell it

Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
While it may be "considered fraud", mta employees are only permitted to ask whether it is a service animal required because of a disability.

Throw me off your train because you don't like how my dog is behaving and I will make it a federal case. I expect my dog to be aware of what is going on around me, specifically anything my dog perceives to be a threat to me since I cannot hear what is going on.
Unless your dog is a service animal, all your legal knowledge won't do you any good. It's got to be in a cage (not a purse, a tote bag, or cradled in your arms), or you're eligible to be removed from the trains and fined.

One afternoon (back in the days when I was a conductor), I saw a woman on the platform at Continental Avenue in Queens arguing with a cop, because the cop was writing out a summons. He was doing this because she was strolling along the platform with her cute little Fifi, or PooPoo, or whatever the darling little beast was called, on a leash, just like she probably does every day. This time, however, she got snagged. And she didn't like it at all.

For my part, I had to make a conscious effort not to laugh out loud in her face.

Go ahead, ride the trains with your non-service-animal, and see how long it takes before you get summonsed, as well. (And if an MTA employee asks you if it's a service animal and you happen not to give a truthful answer, then lying isn't going to look good when you attempt to fight the fine).

Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times
How about "The Seat Hogger"?

For the person who's taking up more space than he/she should and then gets an attitude when someone nicely asks to move over a little so they can sit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City