U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
 
10,630 posts, read 20,764,898 times
Reputation: 8155

Advertisements

What about stairwell etiquette? This thread is too long so I don't know if it's been discussed.

Today I entered a station and heard an announcement that my train (an M/R in Queens) was arriving in the station. I moved fast to get through the turnstile and head to the stairs, only to encounter a sea of people filling the entire staircase -- which can fit about 3 people across -- coming up from the train that had just arrived. This happens frequently.

Shouldn't the people who are going up leave one width empty on the left for people to come down? In this case I kind of forced people to move by being a bit aggressive, because I was in a hurry and wanted to catch the train that was in the station. I did make it, but if I had waited for the sea of people to exit, I might not have.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
What about stairwell etiquette? This thread is too long so I don't know if it's been discussed.

Today I entered a station and heard an announcement that my train (an M/R in Queens) was arriving in the station. I moved fast to get through the turnstile and head to the stairs, only to encounter a sea of people filling the entire staircase -- which can fit about 3 people across -- coming up from the train that had just arrived. This happens frequently.

Shouldn't the people who are going up leave one width empty on the left for people to come down? In this case I kind of forced people to move by being a bit aggressive, because I was in a hurry and wanted to catch the train that was in the station. I did make it, but if I had waited for the sea of people to exit, I might not have.
What I do when that happens is I hold up my briefcase or large satchel high in front of me and barrel down the staircase on the extreme right side handrail. They get out of the way fast enough. Either that or get hit in the face with my bag. No one has ever protested; they just squeeze over and keep going up. They know the staircase is supposed to go both ways and they are in the wrong for hogging it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Eastchester, Bronx, NY
1,085 posts, read 1,904,906 times
Reputation: 504
Let's not forget the "sick passenger" - one of if not THE leading cause of trains being delayed or taken out of service altogether.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,237 posts, read 23,786,423 times
Reputation: 19906
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
Let's not forget the "sick passenger" - one of if not THE leading cause of trains being delayed or taken out of service altogether.
yeah, get the sick passenger off the train, and let the train go. i never understood why the train has to stay still when the sick passenger gets off the train.

yo sicko, get off the damn train, we gots to get to work.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
15,237 posts, read 23,786,423 times
Reputation: 19906
and stop sitting on the stairway unless you want me to kick you, and your ugly too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 PM
 
142 posts, read 221,717 times
Reputation: 158
Was on the 6 last weekend and an old Dominican guy gets on the train wheeling a small cart with a bag in it. As he's talking to himself in Spanish, he pulls out an onion the size of an apple and starts cutting it into little pieces with a plastic butter knife into a plastic bag. Yum.

Today, was getting on the 6 to get to work and I got NAILED from behind by a 6-foot, 200 lb black chick, which caused me to go into the gentleman in front of me. This gentleman turns out to be a 5-foot tall Cee Lo Green look-a-like. Cee Lo proceeds to yell at me for pushing him. I tell him "My friend, it was the chick behind me." He doesn't care and for some reason says "I don't care who you are." I just say "It's too early to be this crazy. Enjoy your ride." We stare at each other for the next minute and then Cee Lo gets off at 68th Street to go shoot his next 7up commercial.

Ugh.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM
 
Location: The Internetz
180 posts, read 284,232 times
Reputation: 187
^^^^^

He wouldn't have said anything if you were black.. and the reason he didn't say anything to homegirl is because he was keeping it real with his folk.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 PM
 
Location: NYC
110 posts, read 253,194 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigslist View Post
^^^^^

He wouldn't have said anything if you were black.. and the reason he didn't say anything to homegirl is because he was keeping it real with his folk.
Clearly you missed the existence of black-on-black crime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 AM
 
292 posts, read 595,930 times
Reputation: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
yeah, get the sick passenger off the train, and let the train go. i never understood why the train has to stay still when the sick passenger gets off the train.

yo sicko, get off the damn train, we gots to get to work.
Because a lot of the time the person actually needs EMS help. And the train is required to wait in the station until police/EMS arrive on the scene to take care of the customer/remove him/her from the train.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2012, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Manhattan
20,169 posts, read 26,469,688 times
Reputation: 9044
My main problem is the endless progression of hustlers who feel they need to TALK when they beg for money. Each one feels he needs to make a PITCH and one is more boring and repetitive than the next.

It is a rare ride when one can go for for a few miles with no noisy begging.
If the cops arrested them instead of baiting fare jumpers our rides would be a bit more approaching tolerable.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top