U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 PM

12 posts, read 10,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Sometimes on 59st/Columbus Circle when the B/D arrive on the local and express track, it would be nice to know which one is leaving first instead of the mad dash guessing game myself and others are guilty of.
Well, once again, MTA job is not about making your life or that of other commuters easy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 AM

570 posts, read 482,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
I think NYC subway panhandlers can be separated into these categories:

- simple panhandlers who just simply ask for change
- the salesmen (candy, batteries, bootleg products)
- the performers (singers, gymnasts, etc.)

I can't think of any others at the moment but I'm sure there's more I'm missing.
How about the more creative and loud panhandlers who shout out their message and tell their well rehearsed story of why they are wanting you to part with some money. One guy recently made me a bit uncomfortable by saying, "I am not here to hurt anybody, I am just asking for help." To me, that was pretty close to the edge of what is tolerable/acceptable beggar etiquette.

There were 3 guys on the TS-GCS Shuttle who sang beautifully and I bought their CD. Got it home and it only had 4 songs. Then I hated them and felt a little stupid. LOL

Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,160,582 times
You have to be impressed by their skills, but it's not a theater.
Kids Arrested for Breakdancing on New York Subways | Complex

Old 03-04-2014, 01:27 PM

458 posts, read 518,735 times
LOL
Welcome to America
It's like this in every metropolitan city in the US.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,409,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You have to be impressed by their skills, but it's not a theater.
Kids Arrested for Breakdancing on New York Subways | Complex
Way overboard arresting them, Doubt many people feel threatened by some kids dancing. Better the time and energy of PD go to preventing robbery and assault by actual criminals.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,730,171 times
This was a bit of an odd scene last night on the 1 train. I guess I shouldn't be too upset that the guy was chowing down on an enormous cucumber because at least it didn't smell like Chinese food does, or leave a disgusting mess like fried chicken

Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM

6,810 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
This was a bit of an odd scene last night on the 1 train. I guess I shouldn't be too upset that the guy was chowing down on an enormous cucumber because at least it didn't smell like Chinese food does, or leave a disgusting mess like fried chicken
That dude has a big beer belly. I guess the cucumber is his source of water.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:46 PM

544 posts, read 217,708 times
Saw a dude sitting next to the door of the train this weekend with a bike blocking over half the door. Meanwhile, a woman sitting across from him with a stroller she was trying to minimize into the smallest possible footprint.

Your bike did not pay a fare. Keep it out of people's way.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:48 PM

6,810 posts, read 4,420,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Saw a dude sitting next to the door of the train this weekend with a bike blocking over half the door. Meanwhile, a woman sitting across from him with a stroller she was trying to minimize into the smallest possible footprint.

Your bike did not pay a fare. Keep it out of people's way.
Never understood those people. If you have to take a train with your bike you live too far away to bring your bike so leave it at home.

Why not just do the CitiBike thing?

Old 10-02-2018, 10:23 PM

1,170 posts, read 264,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Just here to vent because I'm in a bad mood and didn't have time to stop for my morning coffee yet. On the train this AM, and I get hit with the trifecta of subway aggravation (mind you, this train is PACKED). Here goes:

1) The Pole-leaner: Finally find a part of the pole to grab (lol, that's what she said!), only to have one of those pole-leaners think that it's completely appropriate to lean their back against the knuckles of other riders who are holding the pole.

2) The Swayer: Every train has at least one. The guy who refuses to hold on to anything then acts surprised and all apologetic as he goes FLYING into 5 random strangers when the train stops. It's usually all in the name of him being able to read his newspaper or poke at his ipad and drink his coffee at the same time. This morning's swayer knocked pole-leaner's dirty, oily hair into my hand.

3) The backpacker: Another daily rush hour occurrence. The one Appalachian man who is on his way uptown for a hike of the Catskills or something. He's got the giant north face stuffed to the brim with organic granola, and instead of taking the damn thing off and shoving it between his legs, he finds it completely acceptable to repeatedly whack you in the face with it.

The Swayer got a dirty look, the Backpacker got my elbow, but the Pole Leaner, well The ONLY reason I didn't say anything was because I couldn't figure out if she was pregnant or just fat. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure that she was just fat. I hate when that happens -- especially when you give up your seat to a fat chick because you think she's with baby.

Anyway, I'm done being cranky. Feel free to add your own top subway grievances below. Have a good day all!

You forgot the Door Wizard.
He occupies the one side of the door openings as a seat; propping one leg up to rest against the door dropping his foot to the ground at stops only to let passengers on or off. He then continues this performance until he finally discharges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City