Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:04 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,208,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
Actually, the reverse can be pretty annoying too. Those who think that they are the ONLY one getting off a stop and decide to wiggle there way to the door. Especially in a crowded train at a MAJOR stop (e.g. 34th, 42nd and Rock Center).
True. But there is a difference between working your way out and what you described. You can at least get up and work your way towards the door. I'm talking more about the type of people who don't get up till the very last moment and then obstruct the way of those working their way into the train...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:12 PM

168 posts, read 522,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
True. But there is a difference between working your way out and what you described. You can at least get up and work your way towards the door. I'm talking more about the type of people who don't get up till the very last moment and then obstruct the way of those working their way into the train...
'tis true my friend.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 PM

439 posts, read 894,979 times
I'm surprised no one's made mention about some of the horrid subway speaker quality. Some are either too loud or barely understandable.

And I hate it when people get off those 2-seat foldable chairs on ends of some subway cars and just let it slam up when they get off them. It's so damn loud!

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 PM

423 posts, read 1,279,195 times
You guys are forgetting...

The rapper: The usually black/puerto rican youth that decides to rap a whole song out loud.

Bad Breath: Standing next to someone with bad breath. Bonus points if they continuously yawn throughout the subway ride.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM

39 posts, read 76,921 times
Oh, heres one !

Random undercover cops pulling people off trains and refusing to tell them the reason until they get off.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:37 PM

10,221 posts, read 19,164,454 times
People trying to get on when I'm trying to get off are my least favorite. At Penn Station I've had people literally walk into me and look rather surprised when they bounced off.

Next would be people who try to take up all the space around a pole. The car's crowded, and other people need to hang on too.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,212,674 times
Nice post, here are my pet peeves:

1. Train announcers that talk to much. "Ladies and gentlemen, this is a D express train. The next stop is 59th, where you can transfer to the A as in Alpha, B as in Barry (etc.) This train will be running express to 125th and will not stop at (says every single stop between the two stations. Please transfer to a C as in cat or B as in Barry train at the next stop."
2. Train announcers that start talking about their personal lives.
3. That lady that decided to eat tuna with chopsticks while sitting next to me.
4. When I get of the train at Grand Street and mad people try to get on the train before the doors even open to let me off. I usually put my hand across the door and start yelling at people.
5. People who you gave your seat to that get off at the next stop.
6. People who HOLD THE DOORS. For whatever reason. I once had a train conductor that held the train in the station for an extra minute after he yelled at people for holding the doors.
7. Sick people who get on the train (and know they are sick), pass out and pull the emergency brake. Or drunk people at 3pm that hold the train up.
8. People who pull the emergency brake when the issue could have been resolved another way.
9. DVD sellers during rush hour dragging a huge cart down the train and saying "EXCUSE ME" like we are in their way.
10. When people block the turnstiles fumbling for their metrocards.
11. People sniffing coke off the floor. Yea.
12. Having to take the trains on the weekend. It is becoming a NIGHTMARE.
13. People who try to squeeze in the middle seat when OBVIOUSLY there is NOT enough room for you. And that goes for anyone in any weight class.

Lastly, and this is not about people, but about the MTA. When the local train you are on pulls into the station and the express train is sitting across the platform. Your doors open and the express train's doors close and it pulls of before anyone can get on.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM

78 posts, read 376,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheaosaurus View Post
Lastly, and this is not about people, but about the MTA. When the local train you are on pulls into the station and the express train is sitting across the platform. Your doors open and the express train's doors close and it pulls of before anyone can get on.
Years ago, i remember the express train waiting an extra minute or two for the local passengers to change train to express..Thesedays, that seems opposite with the express entering the station first and leaving first, making it impossible to change from local to express

Old 10-20-2011, 08:14 PM

125 posts, read 228,706 times
Wow, I didn't know there was such an aversion to giving seats up to kids. Well if logic (and courtesy) dictates that you should give your seat up to a pregnant or elderly person because it's hard to hold on, don't you think that logic should apply to a 3 or 4 year old that doesn't have a lot of coordination or balance? Seriously? Do you really think you are spoiling a child by letting them sit?? Do these kid snubbers have kids, I wonder?

And not all kids are wigglers. If the parents don't teach their child to behave on the subway, they just won't. It's all about discipline and teaching your child manners. I'd LOVE for someone to confront me about my supposedly non paying child having the audacity to take up a seat on the subway.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,809,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching4ARainbow View Post
I'd LOVE for someone to confront me about my supposedly non paying child having the audacity to take up a seat on the subway.
What if someone did confront you? What valid argument do you have for a non-paying child to take a seat, versus a paying customer? Other than it being rude for the person to confront you, and the whole "this is america" line, I don't see how you can make a case for your kid. Unless of course he's handicapped, but that's a different story.

Like I said, kids have too much energy anyway and should stand to burn it off. They take naps and eat candy during the day. A little standing won't hurt them. They should be clutching onto your arms/hands anyway, not hold onto the pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City