Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times

Advertisements

I used to think the 2 train was the worst, but I think the 4 might be afterall. There are so many kids on the 4, and they all live packed in those old tenements up the Concourse....they are usually the ones that cause the trouble. There are not nearly as many kids on the 2. Mott Haven's murder rate is not high as compared to ENY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:50 PM

5,720 posts, read 19,980,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I used to think the 2 train was the worst, but I think the 4 might be afterall. There are so many kids on the 4, and they all live packed in those old tenements up the Concourse....they are usually the ones that cause the trouble. There are not nearly as many kids on the 2. Mott Haven's murder rate is not high as compared to ENY.
Well the kids on the 2 train lived pack in all the housing projects and low income housing, that's usually a sign of trouble.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:02 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,308,697 times
Nobody lives packed in the housing projects, you should know that. In fact there is a big push to get so many single people out of 2 and 3 bedroom apts because of a backlog of larger apts for families. The housing projects are being hollowed out of kids/families because single people maintain 2 and 3 bedroom apts long after their kids are gone. Those controls are not in place in the tenements....they pack in multiple generations with no one overseeing anything.

That being said, I still think the 4 is now my least favorite line because of all the kids. It is essentially the same as every other line, just with more kids = more problems.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 PM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
Both the 2 trains and 4 trains are rough my dude, dont get me wrong I used to call the 4 train the freak train because I used to always see some young Dominican youths making out on the line all the time when I used to take the 4 train to BRonx Community College. Now I call it the fight train because I see kids coming off that from uptown at 125 in the morning and then they catch the 6 train back uptown on there way to Lehman HIgh School which that school turned into a hell hole as of late, full with gangs and high rate of teen pregnancy. I see these guys with blue and red chain beads or lime green beads swinging them around. 2 train got its problems too and both 2 and the 4 pass through both trouble spots of Brooklyn and the Bronx. But for me I always have a peaceful ride. Mott Haven has had a bad year crime wise and also a slight increase in murders this year. An officer told me this that in Mott Haven most of the crime is commited by Black Americans even though they make up 25% of the areas population, shocking isnt it. ENY Brooklyn is no joke, I wouldnt want to live there either except for Starret City, I miss that place, I used to have family that lived in Starret City but later moved to buy property Canarsie which is another hell hole in Brooklyn too.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,087,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I can agree with this to an extent but I don't think it'll be decades. Firstly, I think ENY will see revitalization way before Brownsville to be honest. I also believe it'll happen within the next 3/4-5 years. Though the total 'turn-around' will probably be longer. NYC's growth is extremely rapid. Look at Downtown Brooklyn for a reference. The commute from ENY isn't that bad (I use to live in City-Line) I think it's the MTA's fault though. I also think Brooklyn and Queens can use more train lines, but that's another thread.

I think once people get priced out of the boroughs they will shift to either Long Island or down south. & the ladder is already happening.
I can see your train of thought: Brownsville has more housing projects whereas East NY has more homes.

Plus, transportation is a little bit better in East NY (you have the A/C, J/Z, L, and 3, whereas Brownsville just has the 3 and the L in some sections), so even though it's further out, you have more options.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:01 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I can see your train of thought: Brownsville has more housing projects whereas East NY has more homes.

Plus, transportation is a little bit better in East NY (you have the A/C, J/Z, L, and 3, whereas Brownsville just has the 3 and the L in some sections), so even though it's further out, you have more options.
ENY is about double the size of Bville, so it really depend on which part of ENY you're coming from. As for whether I see ENY being gentrified in the near future? No.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:50 AM

573 posts, read 1,457,544 times
i always wondered why eny was so bad, brownsville there a kinda logic unfortunately (lots of projects, high % of single mother households, high poverty rate) while eny seems more diverse (socially) but its just known to be as bad as the ville...

Old 10-24-2011, 08:02 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,782,790 times
@ Frenchy that's in parts... Just like Brownsville's crime is concentrated because it's such a small area filled with projects, same goes for ENY... the problem is that the bad areas in ENY are so bad that they bring the whole neighborhood down... There's a couple of areas in ENY that barely see any crime and Cypress Hills is decent in comparison with other neighborhoods in Brooklyn (still nothing to sleep on but not as bad)... But the worst ENY has to offer is about as bad as anything in the city which is why you see the numbers you see...

But if you take a look at the overall crime for both precincts you'll see that the 73rd and the 75th have the same number of murders and overall crime is pretty close... considering how large ENY and how small B-ville is in comparison it is really a testament to how much of a hellhole that neighborhood is and it's almost on par right now with early 2000 levels and the murder rate is way higher than it was 10 years ago... I don't know why but it seems like that neighborhood is getting even worse while most of the city continues to get better or remain the same...

Old 10-24-2011, 09:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,495,482 times
A mother was shot this weekend in Brownsville trying to protect her kids. Thats about as bad as it gets. Some despicably self-centered ahole high on gun power carries on shooting even though there are mothers and young children right there.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,782,790 times
I think that's one of the few areas left in this city which you can probably count on one hand with fingers left over where you have to worry about your safety at all times of day... A 4-year old was shot last night @ 9:10pm when two thugs tried to rob his family... Stuff like this happens all the time in this area... Many times it doesn't even make the news since it's so frequent... I'm glad that this neighborhood is finally getting some publicity this year... Hopefully it will have an impact...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c..._in_bklyn.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City