Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,309,606 times

Advertisements

I grew up on Christopher Street in the 1950s. What was Halloween like back then for a kid? Oh, let me tell you.

As a young girl, I would get together with 2 or 3 of my best friends and Trick or Treat in our apartment buildings. Even back then, we only went to the people we knew in the building, BUT there were the STORES in the neighborhood we went to. Down the street from McNulty's was a soda and penny candy store that all the neighborhood kids Trick or Treated at. Yes, they gave us candy, but for this kid that wasn't enough. Although I liked the penny candy well enough, I had far more exquisite tastes as an 8 year old.

Lilac's! Anyone remember that? My Mom used to take me there for a "treat" of DARK Chocolate Maple Walnut Creams! Penny candy? Poo, in comparison. One Halloween, while my friends were at the penny candy store, it hit me. Why can't I Trick or Treat at LILAC'S instead? So, I left them to their penny candy, and went alone to Lilac's. "Trick or Treat", I said to the saleswoman who I recognized. "Hmm, maybe you would like some DARK Chocolate Maple Walnut Creams", she said to me. Yes, yes, yes! Apparently, SHE reconginized me too! Yep, got my favorite candy!

I then thought to myself that if it worked at Lilac's, maybe it would work at the Italian bakery too? Sure enough, IT DID! Trick or Trick? They seemed surprised back then to see a kid there, but they gave me nice Italian cookies! When I went back home with my stash, Daddy and I fought over my stash of gormet chocolates and bakery cookies!

Ah, I have very NICE memories of my childhood in NYC. I hope today's kids can someday say the same. It's a wonderful place to grow up in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 08:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
We collected ONLY money...and made out VERY well too. It was a much smaller city (100,000) so no parents to tag along. We'd clock miles every night for a week previous and finish up around 11PM with between $10 and $20 each...good money for the time. (Precocious kids.)

I was shocked to find kids nowadays walking around with parents and getting CANDY instead of money. I guess that parent thing all started with that "razor blades in the apples" thing so many years ago.

It was a different world.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:09 AM

10,227 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Yes, it is sad. That started when my own kids were little. We used to put all their candy on the table and inspect it before they ate it.

It started when we lived in Queens. Many of the local stores would put up signs in their windows, "Trick or Treaters WELCOME". That was very nice of them. One deli owner made his own candy apples and gave them out to the kids. A community helping out? At the time, many parents just stopped it all together and held parties in their homes. While the older kids liked that, the little ones missed their Trick or Treating.

Different times, unfortunately.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:34 AM
s06

105 posts, read 256,365 times
I think it's sad that parents drive their kids door-to-door on Halloween, nowadays, even in neighborhoods that they don't live in. I guess my generation was the last group of people who actually walked by themselves or with friends in their own neighborhood, without their parents.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Anyone know this:

Halloween is coming and the goose is getting fat,
Would you please put a penny in the old man's hat?
If you haven't gott a penny,
A half penny will do.
If you haven't got a half penny
Then God bless you.

That was our mantra.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City