U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:39 AM

16 posts, read 30,698 times

Advertisements

Wondering if I should by a condo in East NY or the South Bronx. People are really scared of both areas and I am worried about the resale value...Any thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

5,503 posts, read 17,196,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsel View Post
Wondering if I should by a condo in East NY or the South Bronx. People are really scared of both areas and I am worried about the resale value...Any thoughts
East NY.

There are some decent areas in East NY due to it being so large. However, the south Bronx is so dense that trouble may be just around the corner.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:02 PM

168 posts, read 455,267 times
I don't think you'll see sustainable gentrification in East New York any time soon. You can perhaps argue that once Crown Heights and other areas to the NE become too expensive, that steady development may trickle into Brownsville then ENY, but I just don't see it happening in our lifetime. Artists and hipsters will arguably keep following the L train eastward as Bushwick gentrifies, but we're talking decades.

The South Bronx is another gamble, but I feel that given the right economic climate (think long term recovery 5-10 years from now), things might be finally ripe for massive rezoning and development in the S Bronx. There is a huge demand for low middle class housing up there, and there has already been a healthy mixture of community interest and grassroots efforts to revitalize the surrounding urban decay. Eventually this movement will reach critical mass and developers will take notice.

I feel like in the S. Bronx, things change block-by-block, whereas in ENY, at least you know the general climate of the area as a whole.

White kind of prices are you seeing in terms of S. Bronx v. ENY??

Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM

8,750 posts, read 15,552,768 times
No way dude...definitely choose the Southern Bronx...there are lots of new, low density 2 and 3 family homes with garages and backyards as well as a flood of new middle class condos, co-ops and co-op conversions, never mind that the housing stock is architecturally beautifully. You can be about 15 minutes via the express train to 14th street, and you also have massive investment flooding the area.

Why would someone choose much further out if they want a lower-income community? There is no way the upside in ENY is greater than the Southern Bronx, purely on proximity to Manhattan alone!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

57 posts, read 108,663 times
Trust me nobody wants the commute of east new york.....secondly there are all kinds of cops patrolling the area but its still crazy....the south bronx not anytime soon either.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

168 posts, read 455,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
No way dude...definitely choose the Southern Bronx...there are lots of new, low density 2 and 3 family homes with garages and backyards as well as a flood of new middle class condos, co-ops and co-op conversions, never mind that the housing stock is architecturally beautifully. You can be about 15 minutes via the express train to 14th street, and you also have massive investment flooding the area.

Why would someone choose much further out if they want a lower-income community? There is no way the upside in ENY is greater than the Southern Bronx, purely on proximity to Manhattan alone!
Would have to agree 100%

Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,560,928 times
Its too long of a commute you'll have a better ROI in the south bronx.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:24 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,994,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullingHairs View Post
I don't think you'll see sustainable gentrification in East New York any time soon. You can perhaps argue that once Crown Heights and other areas to the NE become too expensive, that steady development may trickle into Brownsville then ENY, but I just don't see it happening in our lifetime. Artists and hipsters will arguably keep following the L train eastward as Bushwick gentrifies, but we're talking decades.

The South Bronx is another gamble, but I feel that given the right economic climate (think long term recovery 5-10 years from now), things might be finally ripe for massive rezoning and development in the S Bronx. There is a huge demand for low middle class housing up there, and there has already been a healthy mixture of community interest and grassroots efforts to revitalize the surrounding urban decay. Eventually this movement will reach critical mass and developers will take notice.

I feel like in the S. Bronx, things change block-by-block, whereas in ENY, at least you know the general climate of the area as a whole.

White kind of prices are you seeing in terms of S. Bronx v. ENY??
I can agree with this to an extent but I don't think it'll be decades. Firstly, I think ENY will see revitalization way before Brownsville to be honest. I also believe it'll happen within the next 3/4-5 years. Though the total 'turn-around' will probably be longer. NYC's growth is extremely rapid. Look at Downtown Brooklyn for a reference. The commute from ENY isn't that bad (I use to live in City-Line) I think it's the MTA's fault though. I also think Brooklyn and Queens can use more train lines, but that's another thread.

I think once people get priced out of the boroughs they will shift to either Long Island or down south. & the ladder is already happening.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:31 PM

14,795 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
East NY.

There are some decent areas in East NY due to it being so large. However, the south Bronx is so dense that trouble may be just around the corner.
Both areas are trouble spots some worse then others or vice versa. You seem to be like to type of guy who prefers to get shot Brooklyn over getting mugged Bronx. Getting mugged is embarrasing but getting shot in vain is a different story! 4 train and the A train are both trouble making riders!

Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM

5,503 posts, read 17,196,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Both areas are trouble spots some worse then others or vice versa. You seem to be like to type of guy who prefers to get shot Brooklyn over getting mugged Bronx. Getting mugged is embarrasing but getting shot in vain is a different story! 4 train and the A train are both trouble making riders!
2 train is the worst.

Mott Haven's murder rate is also high, what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or