U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:59 PM

27 posts, read 81,043 times

Advertisements

For those of you who might know, how long is the commute on the Q from the Church Ave station in Brooklyn to Union Square? How is the area around Church Ave? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 01:08 PM

168 posts, read 455,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanFox14 View Post
For those of you who might know, how long is the commute on the Q from the Church Ave station in Brooklyn to Union Square? How is the area around Church Ave? Thanks.
Under 30 minutes under IDEAL conditions. The biggest bottleneck is DeKalb in BK to Canal St. There is a lot of competition to cross the Manhattan bridge in the AM. Sometimes the Q (and N/D/B as well) just sit on the bridge for 5 - 10 minutes during heavy volume.

Re the area: It's not bad. You're close to Ditmas Park, and you can walk to some of the restaurants on Cortelyou. There is a big east indian/carribean community around there, and if you are close enough to the Parade Grounds you can enjoy Prospect Park and even cut through the park to Park Slope in about 45 min on a nice day.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 PM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
I find the Church Ave area to be sketchy. Ditmas Park is nicer.

Have you ever been to the area near the Church Ave Q stop?

Old 10-20-2011, 06:28 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,499,122 times
Safety feel all depends on what your background is OP. So it's hard to say without knowing where you came from and grew up. Like if you say I grew up N 5th in Philly...then Church Ave area is perfectly fine. If you grew up in Amherst, NY then yeah you will find it questionable and sketchy.

As for commute, you're probably looking at 45m from that area and not door to door.

For example, commute from Dekalb station to Union Square is usually 20m. If train doesn't get stuck waiting between Canal and Dekalb. Also this is purely time on the train, not door to door time.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:57 PM

618 posts, read 2,186,988 times
not terrible but a bit sketchy for sure

Old 10-20-2011, 09:32 PM

27 posts, read 81,043 times
It's certainly "sketchier" than where I'm from (the suburbs) but I was talking specifically in terms of crime/safety, especially violent crime.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
As for commute, you're probably looking at 45m from that area and not door to door.

For example, commute from Dekalb station to Union Square is usually 20m. If train doesn't get stuck waiting between Canal and Dekalb. Also this is purely time on the train, not door to door time.
It won't take 45 minutes to USQ on a regular basis. That's assuming a very long delay crossing the bridge.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
It's certainly "sketchier" than where I'm from (the suburbs) but I was talking specifically in terms of crime/safety, especially violent crime.
It's not a great area, and if you are from the suburbs, it may take a bit of getting used to as far as your comfort level goes. You may want to head further south (south of Albemarie Rd) and check out Ditmas Park proper. It's safer and there is more going on. With that being said, if you have a good opportunity around Church and think you can make it work, there are far worse neighborhoods in Brooklyn...

Old 10-21-2011, 10:20 AM

10,604 posts, read 20,734,839 times
Quote:
You don't care about quality of life issues? There is much more to finding a good neighborhood in NYC than solely looking at violent crime statistics.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:56 AM

2,899 posts, read 8,304,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I find the Church Ave area to be sketchy. Ditmas Park is nicer.

Have you ever been to the area near the Church Ave Q stop?
I don't like the term, "sketchy", it is racist in nature, and is of little alue except to those predisposed to racist thoughts.

What is more accurate is that the station exist on the 'cusp' of a couple of areas. Move toward Ocean Avenue and things are dominated by a West Indian community, is more dense, and crime is greater.

Move, in the opposite direction, toward Coney Island Avenue, and things improve with lower density, a greater middle class prence of whites and blacks, crime is lower.

Move South and West toward Cortelyou Road, and again things improve into a low density suburban like area of impressive Victorian homes, and fairly decent apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City