U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM

7,583 posts, read 8,009,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
Well, as I said, paper pushing really doesn't phase me, not in the slightest.

Sounds like it was quite a hurdle for you, however...!
You have totally misunderstood. There was no hurdle ever for me because I have lived here for more years than you were on this planet and I understand how it works. There is no paperwork. HUH? I was talking about the property tax structure. In other places, when the value of the house goes down, the property tax goes down. Here it goes UP. I Love LI and Alkonst have been giving you good advice. We are not trying to discourage you at all. From what you described, you can have a nice life here with your family. We are only trying to provide you with information to make your transition easier so that you are more prepared. I found CD extremely helpful in providing me with information on an area in the south for possible relocation. I found the locals who posted gave me very accurate and helpful information. I just wanted to return the favor. You have decided to discount advice here because you have decided that you know better. So go find out for yourself the hard way. I can (and have helped others in the past) on this forum who are willing to listen and not be so closed-minded. I will expend my energy elsewhere. Good luck to you and your family. Perhaps some midwesterners are the nicest people, but some sure are stubborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,262,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
And in what markets exactly is it simple...?

LOL
You know what?

Come to NYC. Please. Don't do any homework, don't listen to any of us.

Just come here. NOW. Pack up and come here.

Just do it, please. Pack up the baby and the diapers, your baubles and any gardening equipment you have. Don't throw anything out, just take your house-full of things with you.

You'll figure it all out later, I'm sure...

Then a year or two later, you'll be fleeing back to the midwest with your tail between your legs, more credit card debt than Dlist celebrity out of rehab, and all your investments retirement accounts liquidated bled dry with your head spinning in confusion about how in hell NYC didn't turn out the way you thought it would.

Old 10-24-2011, 10:57 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,262,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
@Alkonost: i THINK that she doesn't mean to sound as pissed off as she's sounding. I think it's a case that "emails can be misinterpreted" and here posts can sound meaner than it's intended... But yes, her expectations are really really really grounded in Midwest + she doesn't know what she's looking for (since job details are not finalized) which means she can't really understand or appreciate the advice. She's just not on the same page, which probably makes her sounds more "off". She knows what she knows, and she doesn't know what she doesn't know. So, she thinks she knows.
If there wasn't a pattern of snotty comments following every bit of crucial advice, I'd agree with you. She is ungrateful and undeserving of any help on these forums. From her posting history she thinks she's richer than she is, when in reality it would stick her squarely into the a mediocre socioeconomic bracket in NYC. She also thinks she's smarter than she is with the snarky replies to everyone who actually knows what they're talking about. Quite frankly I think she's affected by the idea of living in NYC and somehow thinks there's something "special" about her where reality doesn't apply. Why do I get the feeling that SATC is her favorite TV show?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City