U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:11 PM

258 posts, read 548,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Property tax is an issue anywhere that is a decent place to live, from my experience.

Read other forums about property tax in Westchester, Long Island,and NJ. I guarantee you that your past experience/understanding of property tax in the midwest will be very different from what local homeowners contend with here. I am speaking as someone who has had close family and friends who moved from NY to Ohio and recently, Kansas. They all thought they had moved to Mars and were extremely pleased with the ease of the process for buying and renting. It's not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of factual information.
Well, as I said, paper pushing really doesn't phase me, not in the slightest.

Sounds like it was quite a hurdle for you, however...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't be afraid to jump over to the NJ forum if that's what you decide. Lots of people there familiar with the different areas. Personally, two years ago I traded a shorter commute for the joy of being 15 minutes from the ocean. Now there's something you didn't have in the Midwest!
Yeah, just holding off until we know more what's going on... then I'll keep digging through these fascinating forums...

Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,317,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoboulette View Post
Yeah. Brownstone in JC is probably not a good idea.
I'm curious why you say that? Are the brownstones in bad areas? I read about areas in JC with plenty o' crackheads at your doorstep. Just what my two-old daughter needs to see when we're headed out to playgroup... :/
Generally, they're pretty expensive, but the few that aren't are most likely in a rough neighborhood.

By the way, you read my post about SI? You might be able to find something that works if you're willing to stretch the commute (though not a 3/2 for $300K)

Some neighborhoods have attached houses that are 3 stories, so you might be able to find one of those at a decent price. To give you an idea of what they look like, it would be something like this:

160 Fahy Avenue, New York, NY - Google Maps

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Generally, they're pretty expensive, but the few that aren't are most likely in a rough neighborhood.

By the way, you read my post about SI? You might be able to find something that works if you're willing to stretch the commute (though not a 3/2 for $300K)
I see... did your post, thanks. There has been lots of great info on this thread. Once we have more info (in a day or so), we'll start narrowing in on what we want to do.

I have to say... I am very excited about the prospect of moving to NY. I've wanted to live there my whole life... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Old 10-24-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The RE market is not simple around here.
And in what markets exactly is it simple...?

LOL

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,317,525 times
Quote:
I see... did your post, thanks. There has been lots of great info on this thread. Once we have more info (in a day or so), we'll start narrowing in on what we want to do.

I have to say... I am very excited about the prospect of moving to NY. I've wanted to live there my whole life... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Welcome! The more the merrier is what I always say.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM

t is not California or Florida or Las Vegas or Arizona, etc., etc., where the foreclosure is done in 3 months and a house costing $1.3 million in a good neighborhood suddenly is on the market for $350,000.

Well, obviously you do NOT work in RE... try 6-8 months, minimum.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:42 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,263,981 times
Quote:
t is not California or Florida or Las Vegas or Arizona, etc., etc., where the foreclosure is done in 3 months and a house costing $1.3 million in a good neighborhood suddenly is on the market for $350,000.

Well, obviously you do NOT work in RE... try 6-8 months, minimum.
Ok, take whatever you think you know about RE and check it at the door. IT doesn't apply to NYC. She was 100% right on that forclosures of the quality and neighborhood caliber you seek are practically non existent- I am saying this as someone who did work in NYC RE. If I had a nickel for everyone who wanted to live in NYC but couldn't afford it calling me up about foreclosures assuming that we had a GLUT of forclosures in posh places like the rest of the country. I'll tell you what I told them: the truth- RARE RARE RARE RARE and you'll probably be outbid by 30 people. If you have to look for a foreclosure, then to be honest you can't afford to live here.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 10-24-2011 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Language

Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,263,981 times
Quote:
Well, as I said, paper pushing really doesn't phase me, not in the slightest.

Sounds like it was quite a hurdle for you, however...!
Honey, quit it. People are giving you good advice, why put them down for it unless you're pissed off for hearing the truth?

Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 PM

241 posts, read 508,268 times
@Alkonost: i THINK that she doesn't mean to sound as pissed off as she's sounding. I think it's a case that "emails can be misinterpreted" and here posts can sound meaner than it's intended... But yes, her expectations are really really really grounded in Midwest + she doesn't know what she's looking for (since job details are not finalized) which means she can't really understand or appreciate the advice. She's just not on the same page, which probably makes her sounds more "off". She knows what she knows, and she doesn't know what she doesn't know. So, she thinks she knows.

@jojoboulette: In negotiating your relo, ask for an "area familiarization trip". This should happen before you accept the offer (yes, this probably would mean that you need to pack your bag and come for a weekend or something in mere hours / days after you get the offer. Because from offer to acceptance probably doesn't go more than a week or so). This is the only way you can get an appreciation of what you want, how much that costs, and therefore how much you need to negotiate for. Currently, you're still giving the impression that you have not the slightest idea. In this trip, there should be a broker (paid for by your company) with you for part of the time to show you houses. (this will be the same broker that will eventually help you buy your house. Or rent. Rent requires a broker too.) In fact, you should hear the offer. And ask for this before you make any negotiation. Negotiate after you come back (assuming the initial offer wasn't so low that it's a pointless discussion anyway). This trip is separate from the "house hunting trip" which happens after you accepted your offer and before you move.

Last edited by yee8p; 10-24-2011 at 10:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City