Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM

10 posts, read 52,769 times

Advertisements

I have an 1BR apartment in one of the NYCHA developments and have been waiting for a 2BR apartment for 3years - actually I have been waiting for 6years in total, the previous incompetent housing assistant never put in my request and I found out 3years later. I reapplied and was approved in Nov 2008. I still haven't heard from them.

One of my neighbors said that she had waited for 7years for an intra-development transfer. I read up on NYCHA website and found out that if you haven't been offered anything after 2years you requested and were approved for the tranfer within the same building, you can apply for a transfer to another development. So, I went to the management office and the front desk lady told me to fill out another application form, same as the one I had filled out previously for transfer within the same building, only this time mark "inter-development transfer" and write down the name of the development you wish to transfer to.

But is this how it goes? From other threads I have read, people are being offered several choices for their transfer. Or is it only for people who just got approved for NYCHA for the first time? If I'm only supposed to put down one building of choice and it doesn't have any 2BR, am I supposed to wait for another 3 or 4years? Can't they give me some other alternatives? Will my previously approved intra-development request will be removed from the waiting list once I asked for a transfer out of the development? How does it work? Does anybody know? I would appreciate
it very much if anyone can share info, knowledge, or own experience regarding this matter.

The housing assistant, who is supposed to assist me is never available and not very accommodating just like everybody else in the management office here. How do they get these jobs? I always wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 7,742 times
No you do not need to fill out a whole new transfer form after two years because that forms is redundant. You still have your certification date - the date you first applied. That will always stay with you. What you need to do is call and ask to speak to the assistant Manager or Manager, If the receptionist gives you a hard time, then you call the Borough office at 212-427-8542 and ask for the tenant complaint department because you are being refused to talk to the Asst or Manager. Within minutes the head honcho should come out. I worked with them many years in the area of transfers. I hope this is helpfull

Old 05-24-2012, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 52,769 times
Thanks for the info! I did go to the office and inquired about it.
Though it took a few visits and nothing in my building was available to me for transfer, they showed me the other option...a listing of available apartments in other buildings which comes out every 2 weeks. I didn't see anything at that time but they said that I could come back to see the listing every two weeks if I wanted to check back. I have gone to check a few times but "good" buildings never have a vacancy.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,117 times
I put in for a transfer for a 3bedroom 6years ago. I have been filling out the transfer paper every year and mailing it back. This year I have not received one. when I went to see my housing assistant they told me that I was not on the transfer list, that I can fill out a paper. I have my original transfer approval from 2008. I do not want to go back on the list and wait 5 more years. Is there anything that I can do to speed up the process? I have three sons and one daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City