U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:58 PM

14,906 posts, read 17,467,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesTM View Post
I always thought of living with roommates was a college thing, it seem to be the norm in nyc for young professionals?

I will definitely look into Astoria queens. But isn't queens on long island? How safe is Astoria? I am looking at apartments now but most in my price range seem to be studio apartments and I like space. I will look into New jersey as well. But a lot of these apartments/roommate situations have very weird rules such as only one person is allowed to live in here or no guests allowed? How is the area of far rockaway queens? And Jamaica? anyone live there? They have cheap apartments and I don't mind a bit of commute.

Thanks for your replies but I am female does that mean that I will be dating ny men or other newcomers?
From what I have seen most likely you would fall for and date other new comers to nyc because of like mindedness. Some ny guys like myself like out of town girls and will poumce quickly on oppurtunities. But most likely you wont llke nyc men with huge mind egos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,262,719 times
Quote:
Oh and another question, how do people handle their groceries in Manhattan? Do they really haul their bags into their apartments or have them delivered? Or maybe just eat out everyday? How do they deal with handling heavy things on the subways, trains, and buses? Just wondering.
I schlep (read: haul) my groceries around, a canvas tote bag helps. Some people who aren't used to it buy wheeled shopping carts. You can use fresh direct for delivery but they are NOT cheap unless you get their bulk meat deals, but I find Bayard Meat Market to be better so I've been doing that instead.

You will not shop the same as you did in Atlanta.

Here there's no such thing as one-stop shopping. You'll probably do shopping at 4-5 different places depending on what you need.

There's another thread on grocery shopping in Manhattan you may find useful:
where to buy cheap groceries in NYC?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
From what I have seen most likely you would fall for and date other new comers to nyc because of like mindedness. Some ny guys like myself like out of town girls and will poumce quickly on oppurtunities. But most likely you wont llke nyc men with huge mind egos.
A lot of them suck in bed too, but that problem exists everywhere

Old 10-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I always thought of living with roommates was a college thing, it seem to be the norm in nyc for young professionals?

I will definitely look into Astoria queens. But isn't queens on long island? How safe is Astoria? I am looking at apartments now but most in my price range seem to be studio apartments and I like space. I will look into New jersey as well. But a lot of these apartments/roommate situations have very weird rules such as only one person is allowed to live in here or no guests allowed? How is the area of far rockaway queens? And Jamaica? anyone live there? They have cheap apartments and I don't mind a bit of commute.

Thanks for your replies but I am female does that mean that I will be dating ny men or other newcomers?
It is very common for young professionals to have roommates because starting salaries here are too low for the high cost of living. It takes time to work your way up and out.

IF you can comfortably afford a nice, spacious apartment on your own in Manhattan, that's the first step on the ladder of "making it" in the big apple.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:19 PM

241 posts, read 508,015 times
Quote:
Oh and another question, how do people handle their groceries in Manhattan? Do they really haul their bags into their apartments or have them delivered? Or maybe just eat out everyday? How do they deal with handling heavy things on the subways, trains, and buses? Just wondering.
If you can afford delivery, that seems easier. However, there is the issue of doorman (which again, if you can afford is nice). You have to be THERE to accept delivery. To me, I rather just haul it. Recall your apartment will be small, so there is very little hauling bags. I shop on an as-needed basis. Milk, cat litter, such can get heavier, but I still just carried them. I do have a wheeled cart for the truly heavy situations that I was anticipated. If you can afford to eat out everyday, you'll never run out of restaurants to try. But that can certainly add up. For me, grocery is not the problem. Laundry is annoying. Those do have delivery and pick up, but while the delivery is free, the cleaning service is slightly more expensive than laundromat. Again, nice if you can afford it.

Heavy things. Everything you could ever want can be delivered in Manhattan. There would be a delivery charge, of course. I have seen people bring rather big items onto the trains , buses, subways. But heavy things are challenging (considering the stairs). NY retailers are also really good at packaging. Like they can make you a handle with packing tape and wrap it around your box (assuming your box is not exceptionally heavy). I think people usually ask a friend who has a car. Just deal with the delivery charges. Or hail a taxi (if that fits).

When you come visit, try to find open houses so you can really look at some apartments. If you can't find ones in your price range, look at other price ranges. You may find that $2000 apartments are smaller than you imagined (which then you can adjust your expectation for $1000). Also, some list addresses (or cross streets). Take the subway and go to the addresses (even if the apartment is not open). You'll get a sense of how far away that is...

Old 10-25-2011, 01:44 PM

11 posts, read 17,218 times
Quote:
Hello everyone I am new on this forum, found out about it yesterday and decided that I would join. Looking for some great advice on moving.

I am a recent college grad went to UGA and majored in economics. I have a job offer in NYC in Wall Street, I have never been to NY before and I am very exciting and anticipating this move.

I am 23 and looking for a nice neighborood to move in to that is clean, safe, and fun. My budget is $1,200 for rent. I will be flying over there next weekend.

What neighborhoods in NYC would you recommend for a person in my situation?

My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car?

2. Has anyone else from Atlanta moved to NYC? How much different is Atlanta from NYC? How have you adjusted?

3. How bad are winters in NYC? Does it snow a lot? After winter what month does it start to really heat up?

4. How is the dating scene in NYC?

5. Finally, since I will be coming there as a toruist for one week, I am going to see all the sites. What are some good restaurants in NYC, I especially want to try the pizza that NYers rave about

Any cheap, clean hotels in NYC that have suites?
I don't want to recommend any neighborhoods outside of Manhattan as I'm not too familiar with them, but I would tell you to check out Brooklyn first. $1200 in Manhattan is cutting it close, plus if you work in FiDi it'll be a much faster commute from Brooklyn than going to say the UES.

1. Unless you venture further into Brooklyn/Queens, you shouldn't need a car. Most of the people I know from Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo, LIC etc don't have a car and do fine. If you live in Manhattan you will 100% not need or want a car.

3. The snow isn't so much the problem--it's the cold. Especially if you live or work in Manhattan, you naturally do a good bit of walking. Combined with the tall buildings that create quasi wind tunnels, it's the wind chill that gets to you. I lived in Ann Arbor Michigan for 4 years and NYC winters are probably more annoying, only because of the fact that there's usually a lot of walking involved with everyday tasks. Invest in some high quality winter gear and you'll be fine. November-April is what I would say are the "unpleasant" months with January probably being the worst.

4. I've been in a relationship for a long time so can't comment directly, but I've heard plenty of complaints about the women in NY (I'm assuming you're a guy). Lots of good looking women and they slightly outnumber men, but I've heard they are not nearly as friendly or approachable as those in the midwest/south/anywhere else except maybe LA. Again, YMMV as I don't have direct experience here. Then again, there's a lot of non-native NYers, so I guess there is a lot variety here.

5. There's a ton of fantastic restaurants--however, any classy place with great food will range from expensive to ludicrous. If you wish to try the best of the best (Michelin rated and such), be prepared to spend at the very least $100 per person on dinner. This is without wine or other drinks included.

And lots of places claim to be "the best" and "original NY style" etc. I recommend doing a lot of Yelping, Menupaging and Zagating. Yes, I just created all three of those words.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Freshdirect.com will be your friend depending on where you live

It's more expensive than getting groceries yourself at a regular supermarket, but still cheaper than shopping exclusively at Whole Foods or the like.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:58 PM

69 posts, read 186,638 times
I am in a similar situation. My husband is expecting to get an offer from a company that is in Orangeburg, NY...just on the outskirts of NYC. I have lived in the South all my life, so the thought of moving from the Atlanta area to the 'burbs on NYC terrify me. We have a 15 year old daughter and I'm worried sick about what kind of an adjustment that will be for her. What are the schools, generally, like? Are Southerners looked down upon? What's the cost of living like? We own a 4,000 sq. ft. house that has a finished basement and 5 bedrooms. We bought it new 6 1/2 years ago for $380,000. How does this compare to the housing in the NYC suburbs like Orangeburg?

Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxie64 View Post
I am in a similar situation. My husband is expecting to get an offer from a company that is in Orangeburg, NY...just on the outskirts of NYC. I have lived in the South all my life, so the thought of moving from the Atlanta area to the 'burbs on NYC terrify me. We have a 15 year old daughter and I'm worried sick about what kind of an adjustment that will be for her. What are the schools, generally, like? Are Southerners looked down upon? What's the cost of living like? We own a 4,000 sq. ft. house that has a finished basement and 5 bedrooms. We bought it new 6 1/2 years ago for $380,000. How does this compare to the housing in the NYC suburbs like Orangeburg?
From someone who grew up in the suburbs and is now living in Manhattan: the suburbs of NY are generally much, much nicer than NYC itself. In terms of price, schools, crime, mostly everything. It's just not as convenient for entertainment and may get boring after your daughter finishes high school, but NYC is always a reasonable drive away.

I'm not too familiar with that specific town, but Rockland County is supposed to be pretty nice. Not sure how pricey it has become, but if your husband is willing to commute about 30 mins or so, you can probably find some nice houses further north that are very reasonably priced and quite large.

Westchester County (other side of Tappan Zee) is notoriously expensive. Fantastic schools, beautiful area and homes, but definitely will cost you 4-5x what you're used to in the south. Think 1 - 1.5MM average for a 4 BR and stuff of that sort.

Do some research around the Nyack area and surrounding towns. Better yet, make a post on the Westchester forums as I'm sure people there are better acquainted with the overall area.

This thread (Top School Districts in Rockland County) would definitely be relevant to you and your husband if finding a good school system is high priority.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM

162 posts, read 371,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gem301 View Post
I would really consider New Jersey if I were you. As stated earlier 1200 dollars won't yield you anything spectacular in Manhattan but Long Island City in Queens as well as Bay side might give you something decent to consider. If living in Manhattan is you're dream maybe you might want to consider carefully a roommate situation. Good Luck!
Bayside? Wow, I think that's the first time I've seen Bayside recommended to a young professional looking to move to NY on this board. It's FAR and is super residential. $1200 would get OP a share in LIC. Rents are crazy expensive there now with all the waterfront development.

For Queens, Astoria is a good recommendation although rents have really skyrocketed and it would prob. be wiser to use that $1200 rent budget towards a nicer share than kill yourself trying to find your own place.

As for the groceries, you will get used to it. Living in any major city dominated by public transportation more or less necessitates it. I go to a cheaper place to do my weekly grocery shopping and typically carry a few big shopping bags (the kind they sell for $.99 in TJ Maxx) on the bus. Then I pick up some other smaller items throughout the week at my local suermarker which is a little more expensive. Interestingly enough, I was recently talking with someone who had moved to NY from the West Coast and they said they found this the hardest thing to adjust to. I guess growing up in a car culture has spoiled some?

Oh, and watch out for the bed bugs in the hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City