U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 24,579 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone I am new on this forum, found out about it yesterday and decided that I would join. Looking for some great advice on moving.

I am a recent college grad went to UGA and majored in economics. I have a job offer in NYC in Wall Street, I have never been to NY before and I am very exciting and anticipating this move.

I am 23 and looking for a nice neighborood to move in to that is clean, safe, and fun. My budget is $1,200 for rent. I will be flying over there next weekend.

What neighborhoods in NYC would you recommend for a person in my situation?

My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car?

2. Has anyone else from Atlanta moved to NYC? How much different is Atlanta from NYC? How have you adjusted?

3. How bad are winters in NYC? Does it snow a lot? After winter what month does it start to really heat up?

4. How is the dating scene in NYC?

5. Finally, since I will be coming there as a toruist for one week, I am going to see all the sites. What are some good restaurants in NYC, I especially want to try the pizza that NYers rave about

Any cheap, clean hotels in NYC that have suites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 03:22 PM

349 posts, read 660,611 times
I made a similar move a few years ago. See my input below.

1. Depending upon where you live you won't need a car. However if you have one and want to bring it you may want to consider the outerboroughs or NJ.

2. NYC is very different from Atlanta but also similar in ways. It is different because it is very dense, walkable, competitive, and feels like the center of the universe. It is the same in that it is a large major city. So it won't be the same culture shock as if you were moving from say Iowa.

3. Don't sweat the winters. It snows a few times a year and we can get blizzards but it's not as hardcore as pple down south make it out to be. Invest in some gloves, something to cover your head and ears, a thick coat, some long johns and you'll be fine. Also get sone boots. Snow is wet and slippery.

4. Dating scene depends on what kind of people you hang out with. Same as anywhere else. People can be very materialistic, down to earth, etc.

5.I'm typing on my phone so dont feel like diving into this. Just look up places on Yelp or Google and read reviews.

Last edited by Lagwagon113; 10-21-2011 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Corrected an error

Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM

349 posts, read 660,611 times
Sorry man- doing this from my phone and its a pain in the ass. $1200 won't get you far here. That's towards the bottom end of price ranges if you were to look at places in say Queens. I would recommend finding a place in the outer boroughs and possibly a roommate so you don't strain yourself too much.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,585,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesTM View Post
Hello everyone I am new on this forum, found out about it yesterday and decided that I would join. Looking for some great advice on moving.

I am a recent college grad went to UGA and majored in economics. I have a job offer in NYC in Wall Street, I have never been to NY before and I am very exciting and anticipating this move.

I am 23 and looking for a nice neighborood to move in to that is clean, safe, and fun. My budget is $1,200 for rent. I will be flying over there next weekend.

What neighborhoods in NYC would you recommend for a person in my situation? $1200 is a little weak for NYC unfortunately but you may be able to do ok. Don't rule out roommates because that's pretty much a necessary part of the lifestyle up there for the young and unestablished.

I would recommend Astoria(Because I lived there and loved it) but it is quite a haul from Wall Street. It was pretty convenient to where I worked in Midtown. If I were you I'd focus on Brooklyn or New Jersey. Manhattan is cool but not worth the steep premium in my opinion. I wish I could make some recommendations but NJ and Brooklyn are out of my area of expertise.

My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car? No, depending of course... You can always do the rental thing or get a Zip Car membership if you need a car to leave town or run an errand. A car is really a big expense in New York and a hassle unless you absolutely need one. The Subway, buses, and taxis will take you everywhere in the city.

Cars are more feasible in New Jersey or in the outer boroughs but you can still get by fine without one.

2. Has anyone else from Atlanta moved to NYC? How much different is Atlanta from NYC? How have you adjusted? I moved up there from Atlanta in 08 and stayed about a year. It's drastically different in almost every way. It's much more fast paced and the culture is different but I absolutely loved it. I think it fit me much better than Atlanta does. People aren't as open and gregarious as they can be in Atlanta but they can really be some of the most helpful and generally nice people anywhere. There are plenty of expatriate southerners up there if you get homesick.

3. How bad are winters in NYC? Does it snow a lot? After winter what month does it start to really heat up? You'll have to make some adjustments but remember that layering is your friend. It gets almost as cold down here as it does up there(actually it's been colder down here the past few days) but it doesn't warm up as the day progresses like it does down here. In fact most of the time it starts getting colder in the early afternoon so prepare for it.

Get some good thermal boots and some *** Traks for when it snows, melts, and ices back over. That was the scariest aspect for me. Iced over sidewalks It can snow a good bit but the city (usually) handles it well.

When I was up there, it really didn't warm up until June just about. It was unusually rainy and cool that year, I believe.

4. How is the dating scene in NYC? Depends on if you are male or female... I had a blast but I'm a guy. It's probably not that bad for women as they make it out to be though. It definitely has a different dynamic than Atlanta. Women are much more aggressive up there and if you are one, I advise you to be as well.

5. Finally, since I will be coming there as a toruist for one week, I am going to see all the sites. What are some good restaurants in NYC, I especially want to try the pizza that NYers rave about I like Nino's in the East Village or Joe's Pizza in Greenwich Village. Check out some spots in Chinatown. Prosperity Dumpling on Eldridge and Canal is a favorite of mine.

Any cheap, clean hotels in NYC that have suites? Heh, cheap hotels in NYC. That's hilarious...

If you need any more advice on what to check out, let me know. Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM

4,133 posts, read 5,942,768 times
Quote:

What neighborhoods in NYC would you recommend for a person in my situation? You can probably find a share for $1200 in many Manhattan neighborhoods -- Murray Hill, East Village, Morningside Heights, Yorkville come to mind. But you won't find your own studio or 1 bdrm downtown for anything close to that money.

I know a student here who just moved into a fifth floor walk up studio (1-room apartment) on the UES. She pays $1700 a month, so that gives you some idea. You might also find a full one-bedroom in that price range ( $1700 or less) uptown in Harlem, Hamilton Heights, Washington Heights, or Inwood. But while some parts of those neighborhoods are relatively safe and affordable, some are not, and you have to know the difference. And you also have to know what you are comfortable with, even in the nice areas. The culture shock uptown might be more than you're ready for. Look around when you get here.

I will leave it to other posters to weigh in on you options in Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, and New Jersey, which I don't know well, but which are also options if you want your own apartment.

There are

My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car? No. Ditch the car and save whatever you would use for a car to spend on rent.

2. Has anyone else from Atlanta moved to NYC? How much different is Atlanta from NYC? Night and day, my friend. Night and day. How have you adjusted?

3. How bad are winters in NYC? Does it snow a lot? After winter what month does it start to really heat up? It starts to get really cold here mid-November and the weather starts warming up in April. Snowfall can vary in any winter from a few inches to a few feet. Come prepared.

4. How is the dating scene in NYC? I been married too long to know!

5. Finally, since I will be coming there as a toruist for one week, I am going to see all the sites. What are some good restaurants in NYC, I especially want to try the pizza that NYers rave about There are a million places that serve good pizza and everybody has their favorites. I can't even begin to answer this one. Just stay away from the same damn chains that are everyhwere. No point coming to NYC to get Dominos.

Any cheap, clean hotels in NYC that have suites? Check the discount sites like Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire etc. I don't know what your definition of cheap is, but in Manhattan, cheap to me is under $200 a night.

Good luck

Last edited by citylove101; 10-21-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 10-21-2011, 06:57 PM

14,780 posts, read 17,404,166 times
Quote:

Welcome!

On that budget you should think about moving to Astoria Queens, its fun and also has great transportation close to midtown and decent nightlife scene, also you might be exposed to different cultures in that area compared to hick southern and African American culture of Georgia which for you that culture is bland and boring like what many Transplants tell me. IF you gonna move to Manhattan 1200 may get you an apt in Inwood or Washington Heights which is northern tip of Manhattan and also ahve quality of life ans safety issues. If you wanna live in the hedge fun Sex and the city version of Manhattan rents gonna cost you a minimum of 2500 dollars a month for a canteen apt however for most they say its worth it. Goodluck finding a roomate.

Astoria maybe Washington Heights or inwood, Sunspet Park or Dyker Heights in Brooklyn
My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car?

No you dont need a car.

2. Has anyone else from Atlanta moved to NYC? How much different is Atlanta from NYC? How have you adjusted?

I only met black transplants from ATL who moved to NYC and oh yeah one white guy I knew from Augusta GA who was a tenant at my job. On the flip side many NEw Yorkers are moving to ATL, how are the NYERS living in ATL?

3. How bad are winters in NYC? Does it snow a lot? After winter what month does it start to really heat up?

Dont forget your passport! Winter is harsh but not brutal.

It depends what your looking, its good for some maybe bad for others. Most Likely you will not date NYC women. Most likely wou will date out of towners like yourself since out of towners are around each other and also attracted to each other. Every Transplant I know only date other Transplant its a rareity for Transplatns to date locals.

5. Finally, since I will be coming there as a toruist for one week, I am going to see all the sites. What are some good restaurants in NYC, I especially want to try the pizza that NYers rave about

Food cart food cart food cart.

Dont know, there is no such thing as cheap hotels in NYC. Even expensive hotels can be dirty. It would be wise to have a friend in NYC that you know and find temporary shelter there.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:13 PM

78 posts, read 102,231 times
I would really consider New Jersey if I were you. As stated earlier 1200 dollars won't yield you anything spectacular in Manhattan but Long Island City in Queens as well as Bay side might give you something decent to consider. If living in Manhattan is you're dream maybe you might want to consider carefully a roommate situation. Good Luck!

Old 10-24-2011, 02:49 PM

I always thought of living with roommates was a college thing, it seem to be the norm in nyc for young professionals?

I will definitely look into Astoria queens. But isn't queens on long island? How safe is Astoria? I am looking at apartments now but most in my price range seem to be studio apartments and I like space. I will look into New jersey as well. But a lot of these apartments/roommate situations have very weird rules such as only one person is allowed to live in here or no guests allowed? How is the area of far rockaway queens? And Jamaica? anyone live there? They have cheap apartments and I don't mind a bit of commute.

Thanks for your replies but I am female does that mean that I will be dating ny men or other newcomers?

Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM

Oh and another question, how do people handle their groceries in Manhattan? Do they really haul their bags into their apartments or have them delivered? Or maybe just eat out everyday? How do they deal with handling heavy things on the subways, trains, and buses? Just wondering.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,258,428 times
Quote:

My other questions are:

1. Will I need a car?

1,200 is not enough. You may find apartments in that price range if you look on the outskirts of the outer boroughs, but realistically you're looking at a minimum of 2k and up for a decent sized studio or junior 1br in a nice neighborhood (provided that you're not looking to rent in manhattan, if you are raise the price). You may also want to look into getting a roommate.

1. No, sell your car before moving.

2. Sadly I haven't been so I can't comment on this one.

3. Not usually bad, there isn't usually a lot of snow although last year was a bit of a freak occurrence. However the temps hover in the 30's and 40's with an occasional dip, if you consider that cold. I don't, I consider anything above the 30's to be cold.

4. It depends on what you're looking for. There are a lot of materialistic people here because it takes a LOT of cash to make it here. People are generally looking to hook up with people who can improve their current socioeconomic status. If you're just looking to get laid, be prepared to wine and dine, or look for a NYC transplant with different expectations.

5. My fave place for Pizza is Rays on Prince street (Soho), although I'm not sure if they're still open. I remember seeing an article about their lease negotiation troubles. Not all places named "rays" are the same, the one on Prince is the real deal. Also, do not eat at a pizzaria uno or any chain pizza place. Avoid all $1 pizza places like the plague. If you're in the east village, here's some of my fave places to eat:

Ippudo (Japanese Ramen)
Cotan (Sushi)
Holy Basil (Thai)
Pylos (Greek)
Diechi (Japanese/Italian Fusion and tapas)
Zum Schnieder (German Beergarden)
Otafuku (Takoyaki street food)
Pommes Frites (Belgian fries)
Venieros (Italian pastry - highly recommended!)
Blackhound Bakery
Russ & Daughters (smoked fish, bagels)
Ess A Bagel (best bagels)
Crispo (Northern Italian, this is in Greenwich Village)
Union Square Cafe
Republic (decent Asian inspired food)
Shopsins (research this place heavily before going there)
Xi'ans famous foods
Ichibantei (Japanese comfort food)
A Taste of India (There's lots of Indian restaurants on Curry Row, I used to go to Haveli but it slid downhill, and I found this place to be good and reasonable)

Last edited by Alkonost; 10-24-2011 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: added a few restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City