U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:38 AM

7,902 posts, read 6,477,538 times

Advertisements

Kefir's whole post only reinforced my point. As I stated previously, if you believe this way, then so be it. I'm just trying to understand the mindset that allows someone to draw conclusions this way. Coming from the military, I was taught at a young age to make decisions based on rational thought processes. It's a shame that concept is not more widely accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM

20,135 posts, read 26,425,454 times
Quote:
Coming from the military, I was taught at a young age to make decisions based on rational thought processes.
It is highly likely that "coming from the military" you were taught to believe what you were TOLD!

People here have some idea how the military operates...and how it is similar to any police force ANYWHERE!

Rational thought and the military have VERY little in common and only those trained by the military or a police state have no idea what the concept of "rational thought" means.

"I told you to SHOOT that man soldier"...."SIR, YES SIR!"

Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 AM

Expected response, again, nothing new. I'd be interested in finding out how you arrived at your opinion of what soldiers are taught in regards to making rational decisions. It is quite obvious that you didn't come to that viewpoint by personal experience.

You are a clear case study in emotional response, which is the point of my postings. People tend to ponder the problem with politics, but then have no problem accepting an emotion-driven decision making process. I'd venture that the two go hand-in-hand. There is no inherent value to making decisions this way, and in government, police/civilian interactions, life in general, there are many examples of how detrimental it actually is to society that many people think this way, cops included.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 PM

9,316 posts, read 13,850,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
We don't condemn all teachers because a couple of them are bad apples...
Bad cops you hear about aren't a few "bad apples". They're "the tip of the iceberg".

Old 10-29-2011, 07:13 AM

20,135 posts, read 26,425,454 times
We report our experiences and our judgements.
The consensus here seems to be that the NYPD is a corrupt organization.

All else is noise.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:25 PM

If emotional response serves you well, then run with it. I require more to make my decisions.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:37 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,282,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If emotional response serves you well, then run with it. I require more to make my decisions.
I don't consider myself a person who uses emotion to arrive at conclusions. In fact, I was taught from a young age that it's dangerous to arrive at conclusions or operate based on emotions.

From my experience, NYPD cops are a rotten lot and this is coming from a white guy who lives in an upper middle class neighborhood in Brooklyn.
Maybe it's the (lack of) training. Maybe it's the corrupt brass. There may be other factors involved besides the PO's themselves. I'm not arguing that.
However, I don't trust NYPD cops period. Again. I'm not some drug dealing Black or Hispanic kid from one of the poorer areas. If I don't trust them, I can only imagine what people from areas with worse NYPD-community relations think of them.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:31 AM

We weren't talking about mere trust. We were talking about an allegation that every NYPD cop is corrupt. By your "experience", would you say you have enough to make that claim? Trust is subjective and highly personal. One person's ability to trust is completely different than another person's. I can't fault you for that at all. Personal experience is affecting how you treat you interactions with police officers. It is a shame, but that is your experience. But to make a charge as serious as Mr. "Noise", you would expect one to be able to provide some sort of evidence.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM

4,891 posts, read 8,980,277 times
Default Go get some!

Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM

180 posts, read 283,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I'm saying that every precinct in NY or any other large city has cops who are up to no good -- from bogus arrests to smuggling to rape and murder -- and pretty much every cop in those precincts knows what's going on, and would swear on a stack of bibles that it wasn't.
Would you swear on a stack of Qurans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City