Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 09:26 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,690,875 times

Advertisements

I just don't buy it, but the MTA says that to get rid of garbage and the vermin they bring, and to cut costs, they'll can the cans in some subway stations. The experiment is supposed to start at the 8th st R stop in the Village and the Main St stop in Flushing on the 7.

"It might seem counterintuitive, but New York City Transit President Thomas Prendergast said eliminating garbage cans might lead to cleaner stations."

Cointerintuitive? How about just plain loony? Here's an idea: how about more garbage cans in the stations and more frequent pick ups? When I see people taking their newspapers, coffe cups, dirty baby diapers, food containers, papaer bags and old metro cards with them I will take picutres and send them to Mr. Pendegast. I think it will be a very short short roll of film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 10:13 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,311,009 times
I tend to agree...it is not about garbage cans, it's about a lack of maintenance to keep the public areas clean. The MTA just doesn't allocate the resources to keep the trains and stations clean and never has as long as I have ridden the train, and although people are alot of the reason why there is so much garbage around, the MTA doesn't do its part either.

And reducing the number of garbage cans is ridiculous. The people using garbage cans are not the problem, it's the people who don't use the garbage cans AND the lack of better and more frequent cleaning and maintenance by the MTA. More garbage cans and more frequent cleaning/maintenance are the answer.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
and these are the people that run things in our City??????

makes one kinda wonder, who thinks up this logic?????

OK, so the garbage pails are gone and some idiot is eating a hershey bar, wants to throw the wrapper in the garbage pail, but it isn't there............OK, folks, where do you think it is going to go???????

Maybe like the above poster said, if there were more pails and more pick ups, we would not have litter problems.

We really do have morons in our society.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,932,108 times
Yup agree with you guys...maintenance on the garbage cans. Everytime I pass one in the subway, more than often is it overflowing.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:33 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,911,555 times
That's going to work. "oh there's no garbage can in this station, i guess i will have to carry the garbage with me until i get home." They should have picked high traffic stations. 42nd st, 34st and Union sq.

Why doesn't the MTA:

Ban newsstands at subway stations?
Fine the Metro and AM news for placing those newspapers near or inside subway stations?
Fine people who bring food to the subway? (I know this would be impossible)
Create a trash bin to keep the used garbage bags?

The MTA is trying to cut corners.

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 10-25-2011 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-25-2011, 12:00 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,465,519 times
I saw this on the news this morning and it is seriously one of the stupidest things I ever heard. Unreal.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:40 PM

18,359 posts, read 31,435,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I saw this on the news this morning and it is seriously one of the stupidest things I ever heard. Unreal.

Who comes up with this logic?????????????:c onfused:

we really do have idiots amongst us.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM

92 posts, read 269,653 times
It works in other cities. There are almost no trash cans in all of Tokyo and that place has little to no litter.

Unfortunately, New Yorkers will just drop their garbage on the ground rather than wait until they find a receptacle. This is a cultural problem. People have no respect for the city.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM

292 posts, read 702,593 times
They already don't have enough trash cans on the platforms. Now they are going to take away MORE? So stupid. A big problem is having to hike around the platform trying to find a damn can.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,666,615 times
When I visited Seoul back in the spring, I almost immediately noticed the lack of garbage cans anywhere in the city. The friend I was staying with said that people are expected to carry their trash with them, and they do. The streets and subways were spotless.

.......but that just isn't going to work here, no way, no how. We live in a society that doesn't really care if someone else has to use it after us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City