Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 AM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackconverse View Post
It's not that big of a deal, but many little things matter and they add up.

I remember when I was in HS, this was one of the attractions of Brooklyn Tech as opposed to Bronx Science or Stuyvesant. Brooklyn Tech was actually decent and sometimes even pretty good in football, and I would guess other sports. Stuy sucked in everything, and I don't believe Bronx Science even had any sports. I remember when I was in HS at the time and Keron Henry of Brooklyn Tech got a football scholarship to go to UConn, I thought that was pretty cool and Tech had a strong football team at the time.

I also remember, before the days of gentrification, where the neighborhood that Brooklyn Tech was in was considered "bad". That definitely affected kids who chose to go there or another school back in the 1990s, and I'm sure it had to have been even more true in the 1980s.

I'm sure the numbers aren't big enough to make a dent, but I'm sure they apply to somebody somewhere. I'm also sure there are some kids/parents that only have one particular specialized school in mind (often the closest one to home) and if they don't get in to that one, it's off to the closest good school. This I have seen.
This is exactly what I was getting at and I used sports as an example. I think people underestimate things like that.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 AM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Here's a great article that kills the ignorance of many of the posts on this topic. It's from the mid 70's by the way: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
You guys do know in my graduating class at Brooklyn Tech (very recent) there was about 1,000 black and hispanic kids combined. Yeah the percentage may not be that high but let's stop acting like they don't go to the school. My psychics class actually had more blacks than Asians...

Old 11-09-2011, 09:27 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
You guys do know in my graduating class at Brooklyn Tech (very recent) there was about 1,000 black and hispanic kids combined. Yeah the percentage may not be that high but let's stop acting like they don't go to the school. My psychics class actually had more blacks than Asians...
I hope you meant "physics" class

Not trying to be nit-picky. I just found the idea of a classroom of students learning to read each other's minds very amusing.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post

No ones "acting like that", hyperbole doesn't help.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,859,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No ones "acting like that", hyperbole doesn't help.
Some posters are not "acting like that" but they are definitely posting like that. But you already know what he means by that.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
DAS

[quote=celticvisa;21633352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post

Do you have facts and figures to support this? It's simply not true. I think the Catholic Church keeps figures and a huge proportion of Catholic students enter catholic high schools.

Also, the curriculum in Catholic schools is not especially challenging. It's geared toward the middle chunk of learners on the standrad normal curve.

Students who go to private middle schools go to private high schools obviously.
The curriculum may not be challenging, is an opinion. However most students that graduate from parochial schools have 12 solid years of education, with solid English and math skills. They usually can go to 4 year colleges, and don't require remedial courses. Which is more than a lot of public school educated graduates have after 12 years of school.

Alot of that is not only the school but also the home. Most people that will pay for their child's education, is going to provide the home atmosphere that is conducive to learning.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
DAS - I don't agree, this is NYC, most all of us know of, or are ourselves, very successful and moderately successful blacks and latinos. Having to qualify every discussion involving race with caveats that this is a "population" or "population subgroup" discussion is a waste of time. Discussing the problem of black and latino under-representation in the top schools is exactly that - under-representation, not absence of representation.

Here's the legal disclaimer if you need it "though this discussion regards a particular group or groups within the population, as in all studies or discussions no implication can be made about any one individual from population studies. E.g. The average height of the population is 5 ft 8 inches. The height of a man picked at random on the street based on this population figure cannot be predicted."

Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I hope you meant "physics" class

Not trying to be nit-picky. I just found the idea of a classroom of students learning to read each other's minds very amusing.
Haha yes, my mistake. Physics.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:29 PM
DAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
DAS - I don't agree, this is NYC, most all of us know of, or are ourselves, very successful and moderately successful blacks and latinos. Having to qualify every discussion involving race with caveats that this is a "population" or "population subgroup" discussion is a waste of time. Discussing the problem of black and latino under-representation in the top schools is exactly that - under-representation, not absence of representation.

Here's the legal disclaimer if you need it "though this discussion regards a particular group or groups within the population, as in all studies or discussions no implication can be made about any one individual from population studies. E.g. The average height of the population is 5 ft 8 inches. The height of a man picked at random on the street based on this population figure cannot be predicted."
That is fine, we don't have to agree. But if you have been reading there are many post that stating that Blacks and Latino's are not naturally intelligent enough to function productively in society let alone pass a specialized high school entrance test. This is given as reason throughout this thread.

I personally don't think it is problem since I know so many that are thriving in elite private schools, parochial schools, as well as charter, and regular public high schools. Not making it into to a specialized high school will not ruin a person's life.

There are many very successful public school educated native NYer's that joke about that fact, and how they have to "help out" those relatives that graduated from specialized HS, because they are millionaires and the one that graduated from the specialized HS is not. They are just joking because the graduate is also doing well, just maybe not as well financially because of their chosen field.

Last edited by DAS; 11-09-2011 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City