Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:10 PM

458 posts, read 616,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeystatus View Post
And this is just one of the many reasons I do not miss living in the South

NY (even if it is the burbs) will be vastly different than the little world you are now living in...tell hubby to reconsider the job offer or learn to adjust.
Oh, please. People are acting like NY is a different country than Georgia. I'd echo what someone else said: "People are people no matter where you go." If she likes church and Christmas more than the average Joe she'll find that crowd here too I'm sure. If she were an atheist she'd find that crowd in Georgia too. I live in Manhattan for Pete's sake and I have plenty of friends who go to church every Sunday morning. Then, on the other hand, my family lives in the south and are all atheists. I don't know why people are fear-mongering about the "culture-shock," but it's unnecessary. Moreover, I feel like it's being done mostly by NYers who have a distorted view of the south. Sorry for the mini-rant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 PM

166 posts, read 443,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester2138 View Post
Oh, please. People are acting like NY is a different country than Georgia. I'd echo what someone else said: "People are people no matter where you go." If she likes church and Christmas more than the average Joe she'll find that crowd here too I'm sure. If she were an atheist she'd find that crowd in Georgia too. I live in Manhattan for Pete's sake and I have plenty of friends who go to church every Sunday morning. Then, on the other hand, my family lives in the south and are all atheists. I don't know why people are fear-mongering about the "culture-shock," but it's unnecessary. Moreover, I feel like it's being done mostly by NYers who have a distorted view of the south. Sorry for the mini-rant
My comment was not b/c OP is a Christian (I'm actually Catholic and do attend mass) it was in response to her saying she can't wrap her head around Christmas not being celebrated by some of her neighbors. Which I would perceive as a little extreme.

I have lived in the South (NC) and my brother currently lives in New Orleans. Based on my personal experience, there are many differences, some more subtle than others.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Contrary opinion here:

If your husband is working in Orangeburg NY there will be several affordable communities within a half hour's drive where you can buy a house for, let's say, $400,000 ( assuming you can sell your present one). It may only have 3 or 4 bedrooms instead of five. But you will also be in a very typical suburban community much like any other in the US. The high prices for everything are in Manhattan and Westchester. Much of Rockland and northern NJ (which is an easy drive to Orangeburg) are substantially less expensive. I can assure you nobody there pays $6 for a pund of butter. It won't be as cheap as Atlanta, and property taxes will be higher, but you don't have to be a millionaire to live there either. Rockland, in fact, is home to many many NY police, fireman, school teachers and civil servants, who support families on less than 100 grand and commute to the city.

You will live the life more and more people in metro NY are living--they work, send their children to school, and live in the suburbs, and generally come into NYC mainly to be entertained, like to see a show, a parade, the fireworks, something like that. The same, I'd guess, that many people in suiburban Atlanta do, with people coming into the city for a ball game or a concert, but living 99% of their lives in the 'burbs.

I There are plenty of churches around, though you may have to drive to find one--but Sunday commutes are a lot easier. Many Baptist churches in the NE are indeed mainly black, but certainly not all of them. If you're looking specifically for a Southern Baptist church, however, that may be hard to find though.
If your husband's job offer comes through press them for a relo person who is expert in Rockland and northern NJ and can point out which towns are best suited for you in terms of affordability and schools. Offhand I can think of Permont and Tappan in NY, and Old Tappan and Northvale on NJ, though I do not know those towns really well, having only visited.

As far as being a southerner goes, it will basically be a non-issue for most folks. They will note your accent, ask where you're from, and then go on their way. Some will be totally ignorant about the South and have stereotypes about it. Some will not. You will make friends. And remember the old saying: "What other people think of me is none of my business."

Good luck.
Listen to this post and others like it.

Some people are beyond stupid when it comes to all aspects of NYC living and it makes me question whether they've lived in NYC.

You will be fine on 100k in the areas of NY that you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City