U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 01:32 PM

1,309 posts, read 3,003,870 times

Advertisements

My question is it worth it to save money for living in Mahanttan .My girl and i moved into togerther along with her daughter and now we are looking at one of her female friends living with us .We have a extra room in the place we rented and she was thinking that her friend would be a good fit in the place because of her pending problems with ex husband

Our salary togerther is enough cover all the bill's that we have togerther but her thinking is the that the extra money that the room mate will cut down on the money that we have to spend and save it more for our move to Hawai'i here next year .

So is worth it to have a extra person in the house or it a pain in the butt to have in the house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 01:39 PM

2,853 posts, read 6,511,708 times
It's 100% personal preference if you can afford otherwise. You yourself can only say whether you value a little more space and privacy vs some extra cash in the bank.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:40 PM

15,602 posts, read 25,012,867 times
I would say no to the roommate thing.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:44 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,566,750 times
why not have a vacation room that you can rent off when you need extra $$$??? You can put the room up on couchsurfing and create a rate for it.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,573,856 times
The child could make a roommate situation more complicated but that depends upon how old your girlfriends daughter is. Is there more than one bathroom in the place? Are your cleaning habits similar to the person potentially moving in? Does the potential roommate drink or do drugs? The same considerations for all roommate situations also apply here.

If you can ensure the child's safety and you all agree on your living habits then it could work out fine.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:22 PM

10,614 posts, read 13,149,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The child could make a roommate situation more complicated but that depends upon how old your girlfriends daughter is. Is there more than one bathroom in the place? Are your cleaning habits similar to the person potentially moving in? Does the potential roommate drink or do drugs? The same considerations for all roommate situations also apply here.

If you can ensure the child's safety and you all agree on your living habits then it could work out fine.
Agree. There are many blended families and households in today's world. Barkomatic is 100% right. The child's safety is the main issue. Everyone must get along, And conduct themselves properly in the house. This will be the trade off. No wild parties or behavior in front of the kid, And guests coming into the house should be trusted people, esp if the child is present. Im not sure from the post if the child spends time with the father, (If applicable.)

It can work, provided the environment is safe for the child and everyone involved. Good luck and best wishes pursuing your Hawaii dream.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:20 PM

8,479 posts, read 20,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1 View Post
My question is it worth it to save money for living in Mahanttan .My girl and i moved into togerther along with her daughter and now we are looking at one of her female friends living with us .We have a extra room in the place we rented and she was thinking that her friend would be a good fit in the place because of her pending problems with ex husband

Our salary togerther is enough cover all the bill's that we have togerther but her thinking is the that the extra money that the room mate will cut down on the money that we have to spend and save it more for our move to Hawai'i here next year .

So is worth it to have a extra person in the house or it a pain in the butt to have in the house
Living with a GF and her daughter and her friend who is going through a divorce sounds like way too much drama for me.

How big is your place anyway ? I somehow thought it was a studio.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,385,729 times
Yeah, kids and roomies dont mix in my book ( as a parent of a 21 month old) If you can cover the bills, see how it goes for a few months. The price of your kids safety and heck, your privacy is worth SO much more than a few extra bucks. And like BD2 pointed out, ex husband drama sounds way too complicated for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City