Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 26,141 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!

My boss is moving our business to Long Island City in a few months (we were originally on Long Island). Naturally this ups the commute some for me but its nothing I can't handle.

The only trouble is I'm receiving a lot of conflicting reports on how bad the area is. Where we're moving is literally next to the PS1 MoMA in LIC; my aunt worked at the DeVry which is not far away. One of the reasons she wound up quitting was because how bad the area was. She's advised me heavily to quit before we make the move, as I won't be driving in but taking the subway.

On the other hand, people have told me that LIC is not that bad, particularly the area we are moving to. I actually ran an errand for my job in LIC once, and frankly it reminded me of a slightly beat up Queens; not a place to get caught at at night, but not a terrible place.

You guys probably have a better idea then me; would I be 'safe' going back and forth to this neighborhood in LIC? What do you think?

Thanks folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:22 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
You'll be perfectly fine. The area still retains that industrial and desolate feel. But as long as you're not running around waving wads of cash and screaming, you'll be a-ok.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:37 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Area isn't bad but ugly and somewhat desolate. I've been over there all times of the night and never got the feel of danger. Of course, use common sense like in all areas.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:57 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Depends what part of LIC but that area you mention I know exactly where it is and it's not bad area. Just typical average urban area, gritty, bit desolate due to warehouses/industrial buildings but it's nothing dangerous or scary.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
LIC isn't a bad area, and it's actually gotten a lot better over the years. Only Queensbridge is pretty dangerous.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 AM

38 posts, read 80,460 times
I live maybe 7 or 8 blocks from PS1. I'm closer to the river than where you're referring to, but I've been in that area even late in the evening (the Court Square subway stop is the closest option for me to get to/from Manhattan when the 7 train isn't running). Also been there during the day as that's where the closest post office is... I'm a 24 year old girl, and I haven't had any issues. I'm not sure I'd do it alone at 2am, but I wouldn't feel comfortable walking alone at 2am anywhere in a big city.

Seconding what DoomDan said about LIC getting much better over the years. Also would like to point out that if the original poster is working near PS1 they should have no reason to go anywhere near Queensbridge. The area in question is south of the 59th St. bridge and more than half a mile from the Queensbridge Houses.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 AM

357 posts, read 727,383 times
Oh God, stay away!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20745067-post21.html

Old 11-03-2011, 06:13 PM

244 posts, read 664,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanJackal View Post

frankly it reminded me of a slightly beat up Queens; not a place to get caught at at night, but not a terrible place.
what the hell could be more terrible? lmao

Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Was LIC (outside of queensbridge) ever a bad area? At worst I can remember it being called very industrial, now its considered a mix of industrial, commercial and residential. The worse thing about current LIC from what ive gathered is parking can be horrible and there is a constant heavy din from all the construction.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Was LIC (outside of queensbridge) ever a bad area? At worst I can remember it being called very industrial, now its considered a mix of industrial, commercial and residential. The worse thing about current LIC from what ive gathered is parking can be horrible and there is a constant heavy din from all the construction.
I remember it being somewhat considered the "hood" when I was a kid, but not anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City