Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,279,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
You'd find it interesting and bustly all the way.

The differences between the two neighborhoods aren't dramatic but the 10th Ave and 49th is restaurant and bar after restaurant and bar...more so even on Ninth Ave.
But with a subway card the neigborhoods are less than 10 minutes apart and there are certainly enough restaurants around 79th and Amsterdam to make repeat visits in an month totally unnecessary.

I tried to book the Lucerne for relatives after hearing it was a bargain and missed out because they were full with short notice...so you'd best book early.

(I just checked their rates...I must have been thinking about ANOTHER hotel on the UWS because the Lucerne is not cheap at all. Scratching head??? Hmmm?)
Yeah, I agree - Lucerne is not cheap, but with AAA discount it's ~$200 per night, which is more than we'd usually spend, but this is Manhattan and as long as we're flying across the country on a rare trip, might as well stay in a nice place (we've stayed in more than our share of crappy motels!)

Thanks for the takes on UWS vs. 10th Ave - any other thoughts on the difference between the neighborhoods and what it'd be like to stay there?

Also - according to MTA trip planner, getting to LES from UWS is ~30-35 minutes. Is that right, or does it get more difficult at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,271,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Also - according to MTA trip planner, getting to LES from UWS is ~30-35 minutes. Is that right, or does it get more difficult at night?
All trips are more difficult at night and on weekends because there are fewer trains. Going from the Lower East Side to the Upper West Side takes longer because, going cross-town, you’ll have to transfer. I live in the East Village and frequently have to go to the Upper West Side. In my experience, 30 minutes is very optimistic. It’s probably the exact time you spend on the train, without taking into account getting to and from the station. I always budget 45 minutes to an hour to get anywhere, unless it’s a straight shot on one train and I’m already near the station.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,926,332 times
IF New York theatergoing is high on your list, then the 49th Street locale is wiser. It's nice to see a show and have a couple drinks without having to then haul into a subway to get "home."

Old 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,241,184 times
I used to live on the same block as the Skyline and for visitors, it is a haul to the subway. I would go with the Lucerne for transit access.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
I used to live on the same block as the Skyline and for visitors, it is a haul to the subway. I would go with the Lucerne for transit access.
That makes sense - any other thoughts on that skyline area?

Also, a third option we're now considering is the Hampton Inn in Chelsea on 24th street near 6th Ave - it's cheaper and seems more central, plus close to subway line we need.

I've never been to Chelsea and can't really seem to get a handle on what kind of neighborhood it is - through online research I've heard that it's the gay epicenter, that it's the hub for frat-sorority-type club-goers, that it's an arts district, mixed things about the culinary scene, that it's posh and gritty - unlike many other Manhattan neighborhoods, it seems hard to define. Does it feel more like midtown or downtown neighborhoods?

I guess for our purposes, I just want to know if it's possible to find cool, down-to-earth bars, restaurants, and shops in the neighborhood, or if it's all sort of high-end niche stuff. Does it have the classic NY delis, pizza places, bagel shops? I'm sort of picturing Soho-lite, but I'm sure I'm totally off-base. Does Chelsea sound like it would work for us?

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 11-05-2011, 05:31 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,241,184 times
Chelsea is a pretty big neighborhood, but the area around the Hampton Inn is total dullsville.

It seems as though you are being pulled in multiple directions. What are you top three criteria?

Old 11-06-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Chelsea is a pretty big neighborhood, but the area around the Hampton Inn is total dullsville.

It seems as though you are being pulled in multiple directions. What are you top three criteria?
Good question - Basically, it needs to be within relatively easy reach of my parent's place, but we also want to be in a cool, interesting part of Manhattan. And, of course, we don't want to spend more than $250 a night, and even thats pushing it (would have to be a great location)

Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,307,647 times
You might consider Lower Chelsea or the Meatpacking District, as the location is more vibrant than the Hampton Inn. 14th Street, would be a good place to start because you will find a mix of shops, restaurants, bars, the Highline, Chelsea Market, West Village, SoHo, etc. within easy reach. 14th Street is also a transportation hub, with access to many subway lines, and crosstown buses to get to the LES. 7th Avenue has the 1 and 2, and 8th Avenue has the A, C, and E.

The Chelsea Pines Inn is on W14th Street, and at the higher end, the Gansevoort Hotel is nearby, and the area covers a range in hote prices.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-07-2011, 07:00 AM

25,364 posts, read 36,926,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orzo View Post
Good question - Basically, it needs to be within relatively easy reach of my parent's place, but we also want to be in a cool, interesting part of Manhattan. And, of course, we don't want to spend more than $250 a night, and even thats pushing it (would have to be a great location)
Given proximity to parents and the assumption you can get the Lucerne for $200 with discount it sounds like that would be your best choice. The UWS is as fun a place as anywhere and pretty real.

No, Chelsea is not "real" and the only reason to pay the extra money is if you're gay and looking to hook up every night. What it DOES have is the art scene in the lower West 20's. But that is only a train ride down from the UWS for an afternooon that would include a walk along the HighLine garden. Of course, if you want to see the prettiest men on the planet, Chelsea is the place.

Make sure you lock in that $200 room early...print a confirmation.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Given proximity to parents and the assumption you can get the Lucerne for $200 with discount it sounds like that would be your best choice. The UWS is as fun a place as anywhere and pretty real.

No, Chelsea is not "real" and the only reason to pay the extra money is if you're gay and looking to hook up every night. What it DOES have is the art scene in the lower West 20's. But that is only a train ride down from the UWS for an afternooon that would include a walk along the HighLine garden. Of course, if you want to see the prettiest men on the planet, Chelsea is the place.

Make sure you lock in that $200 room early...print a confirmation.
Thanks - I think that's what we'll go for. Appreciate the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City