Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

3 posts, read 5,183 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate from a top-ranked college next month with a business degree. I plan on relocating back to NYC and living at home. What are my best bets job-wise? I'm considering the following fields specifically (not particularly interested in finance despite my degree). I have no debt and will have no other pressing life expenses, which makes me quite lucky. Please don't suggest grad school.

1) Real Estate Salesperson. A lot realtors tend to be older people switching careers. How easy is it for a young college grad with no connections to break in and start making good $$?

2) Sales in general.

3) Teaching math or social studies at a prep school/specialized high school. For various reasons, I am not interested in working in 99% of NYC public schools. I have no Master's degree or licensing so I'm not sure how this would work out...Is such a job something you network into?

Taking any other suggestions so I don't spend my formative years bumming around waiting tables...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Work anywhere that you don't mind and save (live with parents), then buy a bunch of put options on the dow jones the next couple years, use that money to invest in real estate and ride the gravy train to retirement.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 5,183 times
*Bump*

Any realtors on this board?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
What do you want to do? New York rewards ambition, not being comfortable at 24. Waiting tables while doing an amazing internship could ultimately be more productive that renting studio apartments to your peers (which is where you'll start out if you go into real estate).

If you have no debt you're in an ideal situation. You should take advantage of that and set yourself up for the long term. Any job that would pay well now would likely become boring drudgery by time you're 40. The best jobs take 10 to 15 years to develop.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:19 PM

168 posts, read 523,366 times
Quite honestly there is a glut of realtors in the NYC metro area and your competition will be fierce. Those who really succeed are within the top ranks of top brokerages (think Corcoran, Sotheby's, Brown Harris Stevens). Because you're young, you'll likely have to start as a rental agent with one of the big apartment clearinghouses (e.g., Citi Habitats, Rapid or Ideal) to get some experience. As others have suggested, you need to do what you WANT to do, and what you think you MAY want to do. Do your parents live in the city? If not, you may find it hard to be in the city at all times of the day to match when your clients are available to look at your listed properties.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:31 PM

58 posts, read 287,226 times
Take a look at this site and click on the NYC region, then you have an idea where majority of the job vacancies are coming from:
Jobs Express - Job Openings in New York State - New York State Department of Labor

Hope it's helpful.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Sales of any kind is brutal during a recession and this one shows NO signs of abating any time soon... so I's recommend againstt choices 1 and 2.

Teaching is a very good idea...just start sending your resume (albeit short) out to any schools you can think of.

Don't give publlic school short shrift.

I think there are programs where you can teach while you fulfill any of those pesky "education credits" needed for certification.
Maybe some teachers will weigh in.

(Stay away from waiting tables...life is too short.)

Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM

147 posts, read 314,366 times
Quote:
3) Teaching math or social studies at a prep school/specialized high school. For various reasons, I am not interested in working in 99% of NYC public schools. I have no Master's degree or licensing so I'm not sure how this would work out...Is such a job something you network into?
Your best bet for teaching would be private/parochial schools, since they are owned independently and don't have an overarching bureaucratic system (read: BS). Getting a teaching job at a public school at all is hard enough, since there's been hiring freeze and continual threats of teacher layoffs lately (Google either with NYC and you'll see what I mean).

Quote:
Work anywhere that you don't mind and save (live with parents), then buy a bunch of put options on the dow jones the next couple years, use that money to invest in real estate and ride the gravy train to retirement.
I agree with this the most. The Europeans have no clue what they're doing and it seems the American markets are just as confused. But, being a business major you probably already knew this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: