Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
-run bus routes that strategically go to middle and high schools close to each other. These routes would only be during rush hours. This would help with the overcrowding of trains and buses.
They already do this. They have "trippers" that travel from middle/high schools and then continue along the nearby routes (for instance, Sheepshead Bay High School has some B44 trippers that start at the school)

They do this in the PM, but not in the AM because of cost reasons: You need to maintain a larger fleet and pay the drivers when they didn't complete a full shift (not saying the drivers shouldn't get the extra pay, because it's an inconvenience to them to have to work only a short shift)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
1) during major sport events they should offer special subway lines that leave at a certain time and from a certain station straight to destination, ie the 5:30 train from 59th straight to yankee stadium. This would help alleviate the awful crush of gameday traffic combined with rush hour traffic. Heck this could even be tied into more advertsing money if the line is sponsored by a team.

2) increase fines for farebeaters

3) reduce fare for buses. A bus ride should never cost the same as train ride.

4) expand subway into areas that need it bad

-D run express in bronx more hours, and make 161 an express stop!!

I have more but these came to my head first...
1) There wouldn't be the capacity on the line. A lot of these games start at the end of rush hour: That 5:30 train would get stuck behind an earlier train because the trains run every 2 minutes during rush hour (Plus, you're only skipping a few stops anyway)

2) As the saying goes "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". I'm sure there are some who are riding the buses for a legitimate purpose and can't pay.

3) Buses cost more to operate (per person) than trains. I mean, our bus service is of a fairly high quality (it runs fairly frequent and most areas have 24/7 service on at least one line), compared to those of other systems.

4) It would involve too much switching to make 161st Street an express stop (but I do agree the (D) express should run later).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDong217 View Post
Some things that may or may not be realistic:
-Contactless smart cards instead of the decrepit card swipes
-SUICIDE/GUARD DOORS AT ALL STATIONS. It not only decreases frequency of jumpers but also means that stations could be air-conditioned.
-Maybe ban eating food or drink while on the metro. Hong Kong's metro and I believe DC's as well have this rule and are much cleaner than NYC's
-Open some shops in each station. Maybe just a hudson news or 7-11
I disagree about banning eating and drinking in the NYC subway. Many cities already do this but I think it would be bad. Like in Philly a young teenage girl took out a candy bar then she got arrested. In New York, you pretty much get arrested and fined for anything that would be ok in middle America or even China (believe it or not Communist China has MUCH more individual liberties than Americans have for everything, I even heard some guy talking about it in back of my seat on the bus from LaGuardia to Midtown during my recent trip there, Hong Kong's subway rules though may be different but in general...) and adding more would certainly mean making people have less freedoms. If anything, NYC needs to throw out 50% or more of the laws that get people fined or arrested. This 80-plus year old woman threw a newspaper in the trashcan in the subway then some MTA guy jumped out of no where and said "You commited a crime, give me your name or I'll put you away for a long time" because she threw a newspaper in the trash can?!?!

They already have a rule in the MTA of something like "Do not create unsanitary conditions" or something, isn't that enough? That means don't litter food on the floor. However, what if a person has a medical condition and needs to eat sugar at that moment and he happens to be on the subway? Should he be arrested for an otherwise harmless act? When does it stop? It'd be nice if he takes his wrapper and disposes of it in the trashcan but don't ban people from eating or drinking. NYC has tons of food carts around and I don't think it'd be nice for someone to buy a hotdog on their way home from work then in the subway get arrested for eating it.

Also, it doesn't make sense you'd open a 7-11 at a station while asking to ban eating and drinking in subways. That would be asking for a lot of people to get arrested when they need not be.

Do cell phones and Wifi work in the subways? I think that would be a good idea if they haven't done it yet to allow them to be able to be used in the subways.

Another suggestion I think is that there should be more seats for people to sit on the subway platform itself. Having to stand and wait for many minutes at a time can be hard for many people. Do you think it'd be good if there were more seats available?

I'd also think an electronic ticker outside the subway enterance, on top of the sign that shows where the subway will go and tell you the ETA for the lines that pass there would be very helpful so you don't even need to go inside to see when it is coming and can time yourself accordingly.

Last edited by JKFire108; 11-10-2011 at 12:41 AM..

Old 11-13-2011, 08:19 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Good stuff, keep 'em coming.

More cross-town SBS/BRT's and bus-only lanes!!! Especially in the outer boroughs.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:50 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Pay the top people really well...as they already do.

With every election held in NYC include the question: "Is the MTA system providing good service?" Determine some percentage that is a cutoff (perhaps 50% or 75%?) If the number is not reached with YES answers, the top management is summarily replaced...no excuses, no pensions, no golden parachutes, just a handshake and a goodbye.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Here's another little thing that most people who don't work for MTA wouldn't ordinarily consider: at one time, the subway was directed by a handful of people whose title was Trainmaster. Late in the 1970s, MTA began eliminating that position. In its place, they inserted a completely new bureaucracy, consisting of Line Managers and Superintendents. (Along with Assistants at each position, naturally).

These people don't actually DO anything. They run around completing paperwork and "supervising" the people who do the real work of running a transit system.

I have the potentially strange belief that a transit system able to function for more than a century without Line Managers and Superintendents could still function without them. But, of course, even suggesting that an entire level of bureaucracy should be eliminated is probably the weirdest idea you've ever heard, right?

Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM

147 posts, read 314,450 times
How to make the MTA better hm...maybe if they actually had someone who goes through forums like these for ideas!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
How to make the MTA better hm...maybe if they actually had someone who goes through forums like these for ideas!

I posted on another thread that I was appalled by the several month piled garbage on the tracks of the West bound N-train at 59th and Lex station. Two days later I saw that a HUGE cleanup had occurred in that station.

So maybe there IS someone reading this forum (besides FRED)

Old 11-15-2011, 06:59 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So maybe there IS someone reading this forum (besides FRED)
Well...I know for a fact I'm not the only transit worker reading through these threads. I may have a bigger mouth than some of the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: