Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
David Dinkins was probably too nice of a person to be the Mayor of
NYC for that time period. Especially with the crack epidemic and race
relationship were not so great at the time. He should've been taking a
stronger stance with these issues. People just lost confidence in him
to right the ship. NYC was a hellhole during the late 80s to early 90s.
It's not fair to blame him for all the problems, but he was the Mayor at
the time and take the heat for it.

Rudy Giuliani is really an egoistic and self-righteous person, but maybe
that's what it took to be a good Mayor at the time. He pretty much
wipeout the organized crime of NYC, and ruled the city with iron fist.
And my family are forever grateful to finally able to walk down the street
without fear of being rob or beat up all the time. The crime rate drop
might have something to do with some of Dinkkins's policies as well, but
Giuliani is the Mayor at this time, and should deserve most of credit.
One of the best posts on this thread... rep points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 AM

56 posts, read 124,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Jonas Salk.
I'm old enough to remember when fear of polio kept kids indoors all summer long, and when every school had a couple of kids with braces on their legs.

Jonas Salk gets my vote, not just for the vaccine, but for his response when asked who held the patent on it: “The people own the patent on this vaccine. There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?”

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Dinkins was a likeable guy, he just didn't get it all together.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
In Dinkkens favor, one must remember that his mayoralty 1990-1993 was the time for an horrific recession that hit New York City especially hard. It's hard to look good as captain of a sinking ship.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM

83 posts, read 99,487 times
Default I respectfully request to correct you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Two things: Stuuyvesant was never a New Yorker
and, his prejudices were overruled in at least one instance when he was forced by the Dutch government to accept the first Jewish immigrants to Nieuw Amsterdam in 1654.
Actually he died in New York City after the English took over. His bones lie at St. Mark's Church.

So technically he was a New Yorker. And I do not see how the Dutch folks who were in New Amsterdam can't be considered "New Yorkers." They most certainly were even if the place was called New Amsterdam.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Default but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Rudy Giuliani is really an egoistic and self-righteous person, but maybe
that's what it took to be a good Mayor at the time. He pretty much
wipeout the organized crime of NYC, and ruled the city with iron fist.
And my family are forever grateful to finally able to walk down the street
without fear of being rob or beat up all the time. The crime rate drop
might have something to do with some of Dinkkins's policies as well, but
Giuliani is the Mayor at this time, and should deserve most of credit.
I read an article in Harpers a few years ago that stated Dinkins began the cleanup and Giuliani took credit for it.

I came here in '98, so I don't know what this place was like before hand.

The article mentioned that Dinkins hired both Bratton and Kelly and these guys were kept on board when Giuliani took over. Giuliani then threw Bratton to the wolves when Bratton started to become more popular than Giuiliani. Ray Kelly is still working for the city.

Also, Giuliani ran a racist campaign around the Crown Heights riot. Realistically, what was Dinkins supposed to do about that? One of those Hasidic ambulances picked up a rabbi and took him for treatment and apparently left an injured black child (who then died).

The black community wasn't supposed to be upset by that information? I read that the police were even afraid to go into Crown Heights during the riots. I don't think Dinkins dropped the ball on this one. Giuliani played the race card hard and heavy with the Jewish and non-Jewish white communities on this one.

Also, let's be honest. This city started REALLY gentrifying under Giuliani. Nothing like gentrification to drop a crime rate.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvisa View Post
I read an article in Harpers a few years ago that stated Dinkins began the cleanup and Giuliani took credit for it.
True. Despite significant budget constraints more housing was rehabilitated under his single term than Giuliani did in two terms.

And the drop in crime started during his last year as a mayor.
48% voted for him for a second term.

He is 84 now and still gives the middle finger to camera crews!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:05 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
Worst: Robert Moses

Old 11-12-2011, 01:58 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
True. Despite significant budget constraints more housing was rehabilitated under his single term than Giuliani did in two terms.

And the drop in crime started during his last year as a mayor.
48% voted for him for a second term.

He is 84 now and still gives the middle finger to camera crews!
I was here for the tailend of Giuliani and I thought he was an empty braggart and opportunist.

Also, he just seemed to be a nasty, hate-filled, ugly (inside) guy. It didn't surprise me to read what the writer for Harper's wrote.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticvisa View Post

I came here in '98, so I don't know what this place was like before hand.

The article mentioned that Dinkins hired both Bratton and Kelly and these guys were kept on board when Giuliani took over. Giuliani then threw Bratton to the wolves when Bratton started to become more popular than Giuiliani. Ray Kelly is still working for the city.

Also, Giuliani ran a racist campaign around the Crown Heights riot. Realistically, what was Dinkins supposed to do about that? One of those Hasidic ambulances picked up a rabbi and took him for treatment and apparently left an injured black child (who then died).

The black community wasn't supposed to be upset by that information? I read that the police were even afraid to go into Crown Heights during the riots. I don't think Dinkins dropped the ball on this one. Giuliani played the race card hard and heavy with the Jewish and non-Jewish white communities on this one.

Also, let's be honest. This city started REALLY gentrifying under Giuliani. Nothing like gentrification to drop a crime rate.
I totally agree. Guilani got alot of support from Jews. Blacks and Jews have not seen eye to eye ever since the Brownsville school board incident during Mayor John Lindsay era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City