Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:24 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
When you say N.y.c i hope your including the 5 boroughs cause i just pointed out that Manhattan alone is very small compared to the monster that Los Angeles is,It's 4 million people's just in the city of Los Angeles alone, That's not including the county of L.A like Manhattan includes it's other boroughs for population & economic power.The point of this discussion was each N.y borough on it's own are not Alpha world cities,I think only Manhattan would make the cut.
NYC is five boroughs. Manhattan's daytime population equals LA's. The only thing LA is bigger in is in land area. All the boroughs function as one city, they are just subdivisions, just like other cities have wards. Talking about the borough as different cities is silly because there are not. each borough provides a different function for the city, Manhattan just happens to function as the city's downtown. However, what you can do, is put into perspective just how much of a monster NYC is economically, when a single subdivision of the city can compete on an economic level with the third biggest city in the country. That has nothing to do with alpha status since that takes into account more than just economic output.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Urbanization in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Western U.S. is the most urbanized part of the country today, followed closely by the Northeastern United States. The Southern U.S. experienced rapid industrialization after World War II, and is now over three-quarters urban, having almost the same urban percentage in 2010 as the Midwestern United States.[1]
Again, you can only consider the west the most urban if you ignore the fact that 80% to 90% of the west is uninhabited/rural.

Case in point:

Notice how dark the country is west of the Mississippi, in comparison to the east.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 PM

282 posts, read 350,845 times
Quote:
No sir,Manhattan alone is no match for Los Angeles and let's not forget California alone is more populated than the whole country of Canada, I give credit where it's due in part with New York having a 200 year head start on Los Angeles but once California reached it's peak & surpassed every other state in America through economy & population it was over for New York being on top.
Why are you focused so much about regions and states? No one in NYC cares about Buffalo, Pennsylvania or Nevada. New York tops Los Angeles in every single economic index, including population, and that's that.

You're just combining all of these areas so you can find something that can match up to NYC. It doesn't work like that though. Pound for pound, nothing compares to NYC.

New York did have a head start. Sure. But Los Angeles was actually poised to takeover New York in population if it stayed on the that 1960s huge boom it was riding but it never happened and Los Angeles started falling backwards, and New York has been running ever since. The gap between Los Angeles and New York is as wide as it has ever been in terms of wealth and power. Here's a very interesting read:

New York Is 85 Percent Better Than LA (According to Aggregate Personal Income in the Metropolitan Statistical Areas) | FiveThirtyEight

Old 05-13-2015, 10:29 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
Im coming with facts sir,The West is far from being a rural land area,It's possibly the biggest region in land size but it's also the most diverse region ethnic wise & geographic scenery wise,Once you leave N.y.c,upstate New york is a country looking farm area,I speak from experience so you should also.

The Northeast has N.y.c,Philly, D.c,Boston as it's most urbanized centers, The West has Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Las vegas, Phoenix, Even Hawaii is part of the West but you get the picture.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Im coming with facts sir,The West is far from being a rural land area,It's possibly the biggest region in land size but it's also the most diverse region ethnic wise & geographic scenery wise,Once you leave N.y.c,upstate New york is a country looking farm area,I speak from experience so you should also.

The Northeast has N.y.c,Philly, D.c,Boston as it's most urbanized centers, The West has Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, San Diego, Las vegas, Phoenix, Even Hawaii is part of the West but you get the picture.
Add up the population of the cities you just listed. The Northeast comes out on top. Obviously the west is going to have more large cities, its over three times as big geographically. But the Northeast is still king economically, despite population losses.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:38 PM

No need to get emotional sir, im just breaking down each borough like the thread starter asked and when doing so Manhattan is a city combined other boroughs and been that way since the early 19th century but when each borough is on it's own only Manhattan qualify as a world city,And if we get technical than Los Angeles County is Los Angeles at its core where we could include Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa monica but city officials out West have a different setup in California.
If it was Los Angeles County vs N.y 5 boroughs it would be more populated by 2 & a half million plus a bigger economy.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:43 PM

Add up the cities Population why ? California alone is more populated than Canada & other states combined .Than I just showed you a link & proved the West is the most urban area with the Northeast being number 2,I mean no big deal sir.No need for bias activity.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
No need to get emotional sir, im just breaking down each borough like the thread starter asked and when doing so Manhattan is a city combined other boroughs and been that way since the early 19th century but when each borough is on it's own only Manhattan qualify as a world city,And if we get technical than Los Angeles County is Los Angeles at its core where we could include Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Santa monica but city officials out West have a different setup in California.
If it was Los Angeles County vs N.y 5 boroughs it would be more populated by 2 & a half million plus a bigger economy.
Again, it is silly to break down the city into separate cities when the boroughs function as ONE city (meaning this thread is silly.)

Economically speaking, each borough can stand on it's own, but they don't have the cultural resources that could qualify them as alpha cities because you're depriving them of their downtown or central business district, where most of the cultural institutions are in most cities. The term boroughs didn't exist before the city unified. It's just another subdivision like DC has it's wards.

The Bronx always grew as an extension of Manhattan, even when it was part of Westchester county. Queens was a huge county that was home to a collection of small towns and villages. The county split in two when it joined the city, the western half remained Queens and the east became Nassau county. Still, it was mostly rural until the IRT branched out from Manhattan and the Queensborough bridge opened, both of which occurred well after NYC consolidated. Meaning Queens grew as an extension of the city as well. Staten Island was an after thought at the moment of consolidation and is still an after thought to this day. Brooklyn is the lone exception. It was a city before consolidation, but outside of Northern Brooklyn, the county was rural as well. The rest of Brooklyn also expanded as an extension of NYC.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Add up the cities Population why ? California alone is more populated than Canada & other states combined .Than I just showed you a link & proved the West is the most urban area with the Northeast being number 2,I mean no big deal sir.No need for bias activity.
California is comparable in area to the entire Northeast. Of course its going to be the biggest state population wise.

And the maps I posted illustrate that your claims are only true IF AND ONLY IF you IGNORE the fact that the west is mostly rural/uninhabited.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:53 PM

Yeah but California isn't even the biggest state so the population comes from the West being the gateway to New America, It's a saying that says as California goes so does the country.

N.y.c had it's time in the sun so what's the problem with the West being now on top ?

I proved what region is more urban, i proved L.A at it's core as
L.A county is more populated than N.y.c 5 boroughs, i proved the most densely populated cities in the nation are out West and im proving everything with real links not opinions.

Give me facts or links instead of your own made up bias,I think it's fair to say it's unfair to compare because N.y & the Northeast isn't big enough in land area or population.

And for the last time ask the thread starter why he made this post,I broke N.y down & exposed alot of things many people didn't know,Manhattan is a city combined of 5 counties, If Chicago combined it's counties as a single city than we see a greater power,If Los Angeles combined it's counties than we see a greater power,In the grand scheme of things the core of N.y.c is Manhattan, Brooklyn people rep Brooklyn, Bronx rep Bronx,etc etc Each borough is unique but on it's own is not a powerhouse except maybe Brooklyn & Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City