Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 01:28 PM

105 posts, read 322,548 times

Advertisements

I have guests coming, and I want to show them a few non-touristy things: maybe in Brooklyn or anywhere really. I'm looking for events or activities that are fun, maybe edgy, out of the way, local, engaging, not too expensive, etc. We're non-drinkers, btw, and will have a 16 year old with us (my niece). I've looked on line, and it seems like everything that looks good to me is NOT running over Thanksgiving weekend. Anyone have any ideas, or resources to lead me to?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 01:44 PM

47 posts, read 143,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
I have guests coming, and I want to show them a few non-touristy things: maybe in Brooklyn or anywhere really. I'm looking for events or activities that are fun, maybe edgy, out of the way, local, engaging, not too expensive, etc. We're non-drinkers, btw, and will have a 16 year old with us (my niece). I've looked on line, and it seems like everything that looks good to me is NOT running over Thanksgiving weekend. Anyone have any ideas, or resources to lead me to?

Thanks!
Can you give us an idea of the things that looked good to you that aren't running over Thanksgiving weekend? That may help with suggestions.

What kind of things are you folks interested in - shopping? food? live shows/music? museums? used bookstores? pretty architecture? theatre? etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:47 PM

Some good ideas from this article in last year's TONY: 30 Things to Do Over Thanksgiving Weekend

Comedy shows at the UCB or the PIT are generally a good bet, and cheap.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavie View Post
Can you give us an idea of the things that looked good to you that aren't running over Thanksgiving weekend? That may help with suggestions.

What kind of things are you folks interested in - shopping? food? live shows/music? museums? used bookstores? pretty architecture? theatre? etc.
I'm always so appreciative when people respond. Thank you!

Yes, all of those things. The comedy suggestion was great; we'll probably do that. I definitely want to take them to see Brownstones. I have a car, so planning a little drive around Brooklyn. We love music - would love to find some underground venue. Art installations, or pop-up art would be amazing. I've some food ideas - Roberta's, Saragina, Northeast Kingdom. Looking for some amazing Asian food, or other awesome ethnic experience. I might break down and take them to China Town - it's just so crazy over there.

Two calendars had blank spots over Thanksgiving: BAM and BushwickBK (http://bushwickbk.com/bushwickculture-calendar/ (broken link)) Thanks again!!

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkak69 View Post
I'm always so appreciative when people respond. Thank you!

Yes, all of those things. The comedy suggestion was great; we'll probably do that. I definitely want to take them to see Brownstones. I have a car, so planning a little drive around Brooklyn. We love music - would love to find some underground venue. Art installations, or pop-up art would be amazing. I've some food ideas - Roberta's, Saragina, Northeast Kingdom. Looking for some amazing Asian food, or other awesome ethnic experience. I might break down and take them to China Town - it's just so crazy over there.

Thanks again!!
If you end up at Wo Hop (17 Mott Street - my personal favorite - cheap and greasy and delicious, my parents courted there in the 60s and my family goes there several times a year) - make sure you go DOWNSTAIRS. The upstairs one, which we call "Faux Hop", use a separate kitchen and frozen dumplings instead of fresh, etc. Better yet, head out to Brooklyn Chinatown, most places over there are great, authentic and inexpensive.

And you may want to see if any folks in Dyker Heights have started putting up their crazy displays yet. That's always a fun thing to do, just walk around the neighborhood and check out the lights. May be a bit early for that on Thanksgiving weekend - I just moved back to the neighborhood so I'm not too sure how early the light displays have been going up.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:58 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
How about taking them for a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram? They can get a great view of Manhattan from the tram ride.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
How about taking them for a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram? They can get a great view of Manhattan from the tram ride.
I will ALWAYS recommend this, of course. (I'm biased, and miss taking the tram twice a day. I hated getting up early in the morning, but sunrise from the tram is beautiful.)

Another plus, is it's down the street from Dylan's Candy Bar, which is always a crowd-pleaser. (It's also down the street from Serendipity, which is fun but rarely worth the hours-long wait.)

Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM

Tram ride! Never done that. Good idea. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: