Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:29 PM

31 posts, read 66,068 times

Advertisements

We're looking at possible neighborhoods ahead of a move to NYC next year. I've noticed that on the UES, east of 3rd Av, rents are cheaper than in other areas. My suspicious nature says there must be a reason. I know it's a little far from the subway but hoping NYCers can fill me in on any other reasons??? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,267,479 times
It’s a long walk to the subway and the housing stock isn’t as nice (compared with buildings closer to Fifth and Park Avenues). Mainly, it’s just a dull neighborhood. It doesn't have the restaurants and bars that other neighborhoods do.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,714,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyrobeson View Post
We're looking at possible neighborhoods ahead of a move to NYC next year. I've noticed that on the UES, east of 3rd Av, rents are cheaper than in other areas. My suspicious nature says there must be a reason. I know it's a little far from the subway but hoping NYCers can fill me in on any other reasons??? Thanks!
Nothing sinister. Just the transportation issue, which you already pointed out. The other reason is that the neighborhood, while clean, nice, pretty and an ideal place to live- can be a little dry & boring. People usually go to other neighborhoods to party. So unless you need the night life, it's a great bargain.

However, if they ever finish the 2nd ave subway line I'm sure the rent in the area will skyrocket.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:42 PM

9,239 posts, read 24,000,228 times
It's not considered as desirable(socially or aesthetically) as "the real Upper East Side" which is West of Lexington Ave.The architecture is definitely more hum drum and the shops,restaurants,etc are considered more plebian.It can also be a bit of a hike to the subway, as the crosstown blocks are very long so some who live way East even take a bus to the subway, which is considered a downer in NYC.Or it can be a long cold windy walk to the subway in winter.It's also considered a boring neighborhood by those who feel as though they have to be in trendy places filled with bars,clubs,etc.

Other than the above,it's a fine neighborhood.....just not in fashion right now( or ever).

When I first moved to NYC even this part of the East side was considered better than anywhere on the Upper West Side or almost anywhere further downtown but that is no longer the case.Now it's probably the least popular neighborhood in Manhattan South of 96th St.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Sounds just right for us! Looks like we can get what we want in our price range and easy commute down to midtown east, even by bus. Thanks all

Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,914,311 times
What street on 3rd ave?? Above 96 st and it becomes shady ville.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:32 PM

215 posts, read 518,448 times
It is boring but there are tons of restaurants, more than say on UWS. Another thing is the 2nd Ave Subway construction.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Definitely below 96th. I've been to the area before and it seems to turn very unpleasant very quickly - much more than on the UWS - which is why I was wondering if there is something more to the lower rentals.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:42 PM

88 posts, read 263,004 times
Default no

other than it being expensive and over-priced? Why would you want to move here?

Old 11-16-2011, 03:48 PM

Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
other than it being expensive and over-priced? Why would you want to move here?
What's expensive and over-priced? The area I mentioned? It's not compared to other areas.

Anyway, you don't know where I'm moving from and/or why. There are places on earth more expensive than NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City