Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 AM

11 posts, read 16,171 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm new to the forum.

Ok...here's the deal

I'm planning to move to the NY, and want to be within a decent distance to NYC as my gf works in downtown Manhattan. I have looked at places like Harlem, Brooklyn and Queens...the safest of those places anyways with the closest commute to downtown Manhattan.

I have an opportunity for a job in Brooklyn. The cost of living calculator says that if I make $55k in Ft. Lauderdale then I need to make around $85k in Brooklyn to maintain my cost of living.

Now the biggest difference I see is that housing is up 122%. Now the way I see it is I pay around $1250 living on my own in FL and when I move to Brooklyn I will be spitting the rent and our budget would be $1800-$2500. So I don't see much of the housing increasing for me in which it might actually decrease.

Now here is my point of the post. If the job in Brooklyn I'm going for is offerering me $65k, will I be able to make it in Brooklyn? I know NYC has state income tax so I also have to take that into consideration.

In my field I have seen jobs offer from $65-$90k, but I haven't landed the job I want which would ideally pay around $80k. The thing is it's hard to interview and get a job in NY when I already have a job in Florida. Most people want to see you in person and I can't always get the days off. That's the main reason why for now I would settle for $65k if salary can make it in Brooklyn.

Sorry for such a long post and thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBourne View Post
I know NYC has state income tax so I also have to take that into consideration.
You will pay State, City, and Federal Tax. NY has an additional tax on those of us in the City.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:16 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,336 times
65K is a decent salary. Just as long as you live within your means you should be ok.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
You should be fine. The real cost in New York is housing. Once you have that taken care of everything else tends to be a wash (because of the money you save in transportation, etc.). However, you might find some place you can afford, but it will almost certainly be several steps down in terms of size and quality. A $1,800 one-bedroom in Brooklyn is still going to be pretty basic. Something to keep in mind.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 16,171 times
Thanks for the responses. I have been apartment shopping and definitely notice that the places you get for the price you pay are small compared to what you can get in south florida.

It also seems like a grind just to find a place. If I am offered a job I just wonder how long it will take to find a decent place. I need to give at least 2 weeks notice but would like to have a month. I'll have to see how that works out if i'm offered a job.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:51 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,462 times
You should be ok. My girlfriend was living by herself in Astoria a few years back and paying $1300 a month and making around 55k. She wasnt rich by any means but she was able to go out for drinks once or twice a week without being poor. We both moved to Brooklyn and were doing better, she was making the same, I worked in construction and due to a work slowdown I was making about 35k and we payed $1050 in Bensonhurst for a decent sized 1br near alot of transit. Between the two of you making a decent buck you should be fine. If you have trouble finding a place I suggest maybe going with a place you know is safe and near some transit even if you think it might not be the hippest place to live. You can always move in a year again and by then you will have a feel for everything a little bit.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:14 AM

688 posts, read 1,246,807 times
Your total salary needs to be AT LEAST 40% more in NYC than in FL to maintain the same SOL in NYC as in FL.

Why?
Housing (you really need to GO THERE and look at what is available; it is not all that easy to even get a lease on a decent place, even if you have some money to spend)
Taxes (on everything and everyone, with a "special" tax for those living in one of the 5 b's)Fl taxes are very low.
Entertainment (food/drink/etc is MUCH more expensive. If you want to sit in the park, fine. )

everything costs more...except at Century 21 ( )

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
If your options are to interview while holding a job or quitting the job, moving, and then interviewing as an unemployed person, there is no decision: you MUST keep the job, it is a huge asset in finding a new one.

Look at it this way, if you take lots of time off for interviews you will seriously pyss off your employer but a pyssed off employer is not a problem if you are certain to be leaving the job anyway.
Everyone who is looking for a new job has a LOT of time off, it's a given.
In fact there's a definite pattern that can easily be detected when someone is interviewing. EVERYBODY knows.

Employers are loathe to hire the unemployed and they know you have NO bargaining chips so your offered salary will always be lower.

Just bite the bullet and know you will have a LOT of airline bills to pay, Perhaps you can doubel up or triple up on interviews.

You can survive easily on $65K if you get an apartment deal, but $85K is a LOT more pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City