Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM

237 posts, read 786,431 times

Advertisements

Is it me, or does NYC have the most expensive utility companies in the country? Between ConEd and National Grid, it's absolutely criminal how much higher our bills are!

I live in a mid-size one bedroom apartment. My electric bill (ConEd) has never been less than $60. This past summer, in July, my bill was $242!! In August it was $198.

I speak to friends of mine out west (Arizona, San Diego, Washington) and their bills are usually $30-$60 a month WITH AIR CONDITIONING! I even have a friend who just moved from Brooklyn to Jersey and her bill electric bill went from over $100 a month (in an apartment) to about $70 a month (in a house with central air).

National Grid is another story...Heat bills are just insane too.

It seems everything in this city is just a big rip off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:47 AM

279 posts, read 853,956 times
It depends on how your building wired. Most of the buildings in NYC is very old, built in the 1920s and due this to the meter is not correctly hooked up to the right floor/apartment

I too have high con ed bills, and i found it was because my meter is connected to half my apartment and half to another apartment. A local electrician confirmed this, but it is very very very costly to wire the whole building

Old 11-15-2011, 07:49 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,920,525 times
Ways to reduce your bill would be to unplug electronics that do not need to be plugged in 24/7.

Use Insulated Lined Drapes as they can help during the winter and summer months.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessie425 View Post
I even have a friend who just moved from Brooklyn to Jersey and her bill electric bill went from over $100 a month (in an apartment) to about $70 a month (in a house with central air).
Well, central air is generally much more efficient... So it would be cheaper.

Do you keep your computer on all day? What about all your appliances- do they stay plugged in?

In the summer, we use our AC only when absolutely necessary. Fortunately are apartment doesn't bake in the sun like some others, but we don't run the AC constantly. If you have it on all the time, that will run up your bill considerably.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:00 AM

237 posts, read 786,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Well, central air is generally much more efficient... So it would be cheaper.

Do you keep your computer on all day? What about all your appliances- do they stay plugged in?

In the summer, we use our AC only when absolutely necessary. Fortunately are apartment doesn't bake in the sun like some others, but we don't run the AC constantly. If you have it on all the time, that will run up your bill considerably.

Well, I am on the second floor of an two story house and the sun beats directly down on us. I like having the sunlight but it can get very hot. And stuffy. The ceiling fans help somewhat, but in the summer the air is a necessity, especially at night when I am trying to sleep.

I have to remember to unplug more of my appliances. I will do anything that will help lower these bills! thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:06 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Is it me, or does NYC have the most expensive utility companies in the country?
No it isn't you...Con Ed charges the most of any electric company in the U.S. Just today I was on a Pennsylvania board of citi-data and they were compaling about $.11 electicity when ours is $.29.

That's almost 3 times as much for a measly 100 miles.

Criminal price gouging.

So we can stop beating ourselves up for careless usage...the deck is stacked against us. Get more efficient and they'll raise the price another 25%.

New York City is probably the most energy efficient city in the United States and this is our reward.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:36 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Con Ed is the second highest electric rates in the US. LIPA is number one, but they tend to flip flop over the top spot every year or so. Hawaii is number three.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,247,844 times
Tis yet another reason why it weighs in on decision to move out of NYC unless your pay and career options make up for it. I still can't figure out the whole f-ing delivery charge deal. Just can't wrap my head around it even though I read their bs explanation on website and my own google search. Annoys me to no end that my delivery charge is more than electricity I actually use...

Total monthly is about 55-57 a month.

Delivery charge of $35-37 per month
Electricity use of about $20 per month

In case you are wondering, I'm not home a lot and live in 450 sq ft studio that's very efficient.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:00 AM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
No it isn't you...Con Ed charges the most of any electric company in the U.S. Just today I was on a Pennsylvania board of citi-data and they were compaling about $.11 electicity when ours is $.29.

That's almost 3 times as much for a measly 100 miles.

Criminal price gouging.

So we can stop beating ourselves up for careless usage...the deck is stacked against us. Get more efficient and they'll raise the price another 25%.

New York City is probably the most energy efficient city in the United States and this is our reward.

as a resident of both nyc and pa there is a big difference between the two.

we had a freeze on electric rates in pa by pennsylvania power and light and it expired about a year or so ago. we jumped 30% in one year.

in fact ppl let you start sending in extra payments with your bills each month to try to bank some extra money so you have a credit with ppl. for when the rates jumped.

looking at my bill from ppl we are at .15 cents which by nyc standards is cheap but by pa standards and incomes its an awful lot. we jumped from paying .11 cents to .15 cents overnight.

the real shame of it is we produce our own dirt cheap hydroelectric power at the dam on lake wallenpaupack in our own town and these are the outragious rates we pay. one town over they got talked into putting in a wind mill farm . they have to now tolerate the constant noise , the strobe effect over the town and the bug patterns changed creating havoc with local crops and they never got the cheap electric they were promised.

the higher rates here in the city are at least a little understandable. nyc requires a huge amount of excess capacity built in to the system for our day time needs but that need for power drops off at night with lots of expensive equipment earning very little. con ed tries to sell some of that excess power at night but having seen them do it its more like the stock market with you make money some days and loose on others.

the amount of generation and transmission ability we need to have to support the factories and our huge buildings is enormous. dont forget all con eds feeders, generation equipment ,transformers etc all have to be able to be sized to handle the biggest loads in the summer while at night our usage goes down very low when buildings just about go dark and industry stops and they dont get paid for having all that capacity. they have to have higher rates to cover that un-billed down time.

many areas of the country with heavy manufacturing operate 24/7 and so the utilities are compensated. here in nyc most of our usage is commercial office space,residential and stores which does not go 24/7 . most of that is lighting and hvac.

if you ever noticed many commercial places have a con ed demand meter. thats a meter they install to measure your peak usage.

if everyone comes back from their 10am break and flips there machines on at once con ed has to always have the ability to provide that power surge even if the rest of the day you dont hit that peak again and so they hit you with a penalty charge based on peak and the fact they have those generators turning ready to provide that level of power whether you use it again or not that day. .

one of the products i sell for a living are energy mgmt systems that stagger these loads from all coming on at once so you avoid these peaks and the demand charges that go with them.

i used to get a real hard time from con ed about installing these on their lines .they really didnt want you avoiding these charges since they already have the equipment in place and turning and they want to be compensated whether your using that level of power all day or not.

in our area of pa we have no factories, no huge buildings , none of that usage, nor that level of excess capacity needed and so the rates are out of proportion. about the only huge expense we have is line maintaince as with exposed over head lines and our storms there are big service crews maintained and lots of overtime but again other areas are at .11 cents and they have that issue as well..

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-16-2011 at 04:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 AM

106,560 posts, read 108,713,667 times
one other issue that is a problem for con ed is nyc is basically all lighting and hvac loads with little manufacturing .
because we have so many older lighting systems that are in place these systems have ballasts the create havoc with power factor.

without getting technical low power factor causes the utilities to have to provide more power than your electric meter actually can measure and alot of that power they provide goes un-billed.

KA-CHING! throw that into the mix of un-billed power they want to be compensated for.

we also pay a premium for that nice expensive underground distribution system thats so well protected from the storms.very few places have an underground system thats not subject to every storm ,tree falling and car accident.

im not defending these high rates we pay,only explaining why we are different from many areas .

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-16-2011 at 05:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City