Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2011, 06:57 PM

343 posts, read 1,313,722 times

Advertisements

Hello fellow New yorkers.
Despite living in NYC for al ong time now, I have no information about the LIRR in the city. I know that there are a few stations in the city such as penn station, woodside,flushing ,jamaica etc.

So here's the thing: I would need to leave from downtown brooklyn(atlantic avenue 2/3/4/5) and go all the way to flushing-main street station at around 10:30 PM. I usually take the 2/4/5/3 and then transfer to the 7. This is cheap and fine but takes a long time expecialy since the 7 is local at that hour(arrgghh!!). So I'm thining of using the LIRR for my trip. After checking schedules and routes, I see that my best bet would be LIRR from penn station to flushing-main street or woodside(then take the 7).
Now do you think this is going to save me time? How much? I would love to save even 20 minutes because at this hour(11:30 PM) I'm really tired and my family(husband and kid) waits for me eagerly.

or is there any other option on the LIRR such as atlantic-jamaica-woodside-flushing that is faster? also, how long is the walk inside the penn station to LIRR?

Thank You and look forward to reading your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,534 times
Theres different combinations you could use such as. Atlantic to Jamaica then Jamaica to Woodside then 7 home. Or Jamaica to the LIRR Flushing stop, but to be honest I don't think your gonna save much time at all if any.

Edit: To take the LIRR to Flushing you would have to transfer to a Woodside bound train at Jamaica then take a Port Washington train to Flushing. I would think you would have to get really lucky to catch each train in stride and not have a long wait at that time of night. 95% of the time you will get home faster taking a 4,5 to Grand Central I would think.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:10 PM

I see your point....I'm thinking that penn station to wood side or penn station to flushing would be the best route by LIRR,right? I would want to avoid the jamaica route as it looks like that's going to take more time.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
It depends on how the transfers line up.

I definitely wouldn't do Atlantic-Jamaica-Woodside-Flushing because the trains don't run that frequently at that hour, so missing a transfer at that hour can mean a long wait (meaning you would've been better on the subway). Likewise, getting to Woodside wouldn't do you any good because the time you save by skipping the local stops would be eaten up by making the transfer.

So now, you're comparing taking the (2)/(3) to Penn Station for the LIRR to taking the (4)/(5) to Grand Central for the (7). Personally, I don't think you're going to see much of a time difference. Both the MTA's Trip Planner and Google Transit confirm this: They say that either way, the travel time is around an hour. The same for taking the (N)/(Q) to Queensboro Plaza for the (7).

But if you really want to take the LIRR, there's a monthly pass available for travel from Penn Station to Flushing that costs $193 (it's valid to take the LIRR anywhere within city limits, so you can use it for other trips as well). The LIRR might not save you much time, but it's a more comfortable ride than the subway, so it might be worth it in that regard.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:09 AM

194 posts, read 1,202,534 times
[quote=checkmatechamp13;21798711]It depends on how the transfers line up.

So now, you're comparing taking the (2)/(3) to Penn Station for the LIRR to taking the (4)/(5) to Grand Central for the (7). Personally, I don't think you're going to see much of a time difference. Both the MTA's Trip Planner and Google Transit confirm this: They say that either way, the travel time is around an hour. The same for taking the (N)/(Q) to Queensboro Plaza for the (7).quote]

Yea I personally just don't see the point of going back to manhattan THEN jumping on LIRR. It just seems like a waste of money to me to MAYBE save a few minutes every once in a while.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
So now, you're comparing taking the (2)/(3) to Penn Station for the LIRR to taking the (4)/(5) to Grand Central for the (7). Personally, I don't think you're going to see much of a time difference. Both the MTA's Trip Planner and Google Transit confirm this: They say that either way, the travel time is around an hour. The same for taking the (N)/(Q) to Queensboro Plaza for the (7).

But if you really want to take the LIRR, there's a monthly pass available for travel from Penn Station to Flushing that costs $193 (it's valid to take the LIRR anywhere within city limits, so you can use it for other trips as well). The LIRR might not save you much time, but it's a more comfortable ride than the subway, so it might be worth it in that regard.
Thanks, yes I think grand central to Flushing or times square to flushing is what I should compare. At that hour(11pm), 7 trains run local. So it takes me a good 30-40 minutes to get to my stop. This is where I thought the LIRR would help, if I manage to get a connection within 5 minutes or so. Because then the travel time is 20 mins on LIRR. the 7 train, at this hour, could easily take 40 mins from times square.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:16 AM

[quote=illinidorry;21800683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It depends on how the transfers line up.

So now, you're comparing taking the (2)/(3) to Penn Station for the LIRR to taking the (4)/(5) to Grand Central for the (7). Personally, I don't think you're going to see much of a time difference. Both the MTA's Trip Planner and Google Transit confirm this: They say that either way, the travel time is around an hour. The same for taking the (N)/(Q) to Queensboro Plaza for the (7).quote]

Yea I personally just don't see the point of going back to manhattan THEN jumping on LIRR. It just seems like a waste of money to me to MAYBE save a few minutes every once in a while.
yeah, this is a once-a-week thing, so that's when I thought I'd use the LIRR. On other days, I leave from Brooklyn at 7 pm which means I get the 7 express and the 7 express is super fast(20 mins times square to the last stop flushing).

Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
[quote=nehs;21802514]
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
yeah, this is a once-a-week thing, so that's when I thought I'd use the LIRR. On other days, I leave from Brooklyn at 7 pm which means I get the 7 express and the 7 express is super fast(20 mins times square to the last stop flushing).
It can't hurt to look at the schedule, see if you can catch a specific train and then try it out once to see how fast it is. The only thing you have to lose is the $6.25 fare.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:54 PM

[quote=checkmatechamp13;21814222]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nehs View Post

It can't hurt to look at the schedule, see if you can catch a specific train and then try it out once to see how fast it is. The only thing you have to lose is the $6.25 fare.
Yea,I might do that this coming week. Will keep you guys posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City