Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 PM

63 posts, read 234,714 times

Advertisements

In New York State, if you go to anywhere but NYC, a state trooper isn't too hard to find. In my 18 years of living in this city (14 of them having full memory of) I've not once seen a state trooper here. I've seen NYC sheriff cars a few times but thats about it.

According to the official website, there are indeed troopers stationed here. I also found a picture of a state Trooper, however the article notes it's a Troop L car, which covers long Island. NYC is it's own troop.

So it bugs me that while they claim to have troopers here, I've never seen one. Have any of you ever seen one? Thoughts, reactions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 12:08 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,694 times
I've seen State Troopers on the BQE (near Roosevelt Ave) and the Grand Central Parkway service plaza (right after the Francis Lewis exit). Other than that I rarely see a highway patrol car in NYC period

Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 AM

63 posts, read 234,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I've seen State Troopers on the BQE (near Roosevelt Ave) and the Grand Central Parkway service plaza (right after the Francis Lewis exit). Other than that I rarely see a highway patrol car in NYC period
Interesting, do you see them rarely, or is this a somewhat normal occurrence, or did it only happen on those two instances?

Though NYPD Highway patrol cars are more common than you'd think. While getting a speeding ticket on a NYC highway is highly unlikely, it's possible. In the middle of the day I've seen NYPD stationed speed traps on the Belt Parkway between the Verrazano bridge and the Gowanus expressway beginning, the Clearview expressway, and on the Prospect Expressway in a grassy alcove going manhattan bound. Also, on the Shore (belt) parkway, after 2-3 am, there are quite a few hiding looking for speeders/racers.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:20 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,354 times
Pretty rare, I've seen them in NYC two or three times over the years. The headquarters of the NYC State Police is on Wards Island--another reason they may seem out of sight.

I suppose this shouldn't be all that surprising, just as you hardly ever see the NYC Sheriff, whose role in NYC, unlike most other counties around the country, is to handle civil rather than criminal matters. The NYPD is a large department and is able to handle most stuff. According to an article in wikipedia,

"In the United States, state police are a police body unique to each U.S. state, having statewide authority to conduct law enforcement activities and criminal investigations. In general, they perform functions outside the jurisdiction of the county sheriff (Vermont being a notable exception), such as enforcing traffic laws on state highways and interstate expressways, overseeing the security of the state capitol complex, protecting the governor, training new officers for local police forces too small to operate an academy, providing technological and scientific support services, and helping to coordinate multi-jurisdictional task force activity in serious or complicated cases in those states that grant full police powers statewide."

Old 11-25-2011, 12:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The only place I can recall seeing troopers within the city limits is on the Deegan. I have seen speed traps that could have been undercover troopers, but likely unmarked NYPD on the Henry Hudson Parkway on occasion, but cannot recall the same presence of troopers as one would find in Westchester within the city limits.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
There is all sorts of law enforcement here in nyc besides nypd, there is the papd, mtapd, doc public safety officers probation and parole officers nyc sheriffs department haave seen state police driving around Manhattan and also once around forenamed road. I have seen art arresting some black guys in around the housing pj's nexylt to the 40th precinct and I also knew some childhood friends who were arrested by Fbi, I fe seen dea near university heights. Mta bridge and tunnel police eating donuts at dunkinn donuts a few days ago. I don't understand that there is so much crime and so much law enforcement but crime is never stomped out.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 AM

387 posts, read 680,168 times
I see them in Staten Island now & than. A coupke of years ago I saw a trooper pull over someone. I'm not sure for what.

They station alot of troopers at 3rd ave in Manhattan.I think it's around 42nd street. The NY state city offices are located there.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:30 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,321 times
I know Port Authority Police are stationed on the bridges but aren't NY State troopers there also?

Old 11-27-2011, 05:46 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,590,031 times
It would probably be on an expressway, interstate highway, or a numbered through-way approved for truck use if you did see one. They stay on the big roads and are primarily traffic enforcement.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:20 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Rarely, but sometimes I see their cars on highways such as the LIE or Staten Island/West Shore Expressway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City