Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Yes, my sister lives in New York. She has never been on the subway because she is afraid.
Of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,214 times
I actually do. It's quite sad, really, mainly because the subway takes half the time his commute via taxi does…and I'm in Brooklyn Heights going to Midtown.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:37 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Of?
Perverts and criminals.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:53 PM

25 posts, read 43,319 times
The really wealthy don't take the subway, as in Upper East Siders. They don't even have to rely on cabs- they own cars and hire drivers to take them around the city!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:53 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I knew someone in Midtown who NEVER rode the subway for decades...took cabs everywhere.
She lost her rent-stabilized place (landlord wanted it "for his family") so she moved to Queens. Thus late in life she became VERY acquainted with the N,R,E and F trains.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
The people who don't take subways are usually either very rich, very old, or very recognizable celebrities that can't do so w/o being mobbed.
In the case of your comment, a definition of "very" is certainly in order.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I heard from a professor at the College of Staten Island that many of her students had never been to Manhattan. That means they have never been on a subway.
Some of you are bugging me out. Some of the things written and said in this forum is mind numbing.

Sooo, ahhhh, are you saying that one cannot get from Staten Island to Manhattan BUT by SUBWAY?

Subway is the only means of transportation in Manhattan?

So, consequently, if one has not been on a subway, then one, at least those from Staten Island, can never have been to Manhattan.

Logic break, logic break, logic break.....

Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 AM

244 posts, read 629,224 times
bottom line, does the naked cowboy also take the subway?

Old 02-05-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Long lines at the DMV do not equate with car ownership. We all need legal ID, and most people I know with driver's licenses in NYC never drive.
Most people in line are there for legal IDs????

LMAO! Too many of you are in denial!

How many licenses are there? Haven't the faintest idea. Pulling a number out of the dark tunnel, lets settle on 2M. So out of those, according to your DMV EXPERIENCE 10 of 2M actually use their licenses to drive.

Please step away from the Latte! Immediately vacate the hipster/millenial NYC neighborhood in which you dwell along the L line. Wherever you find yourself, please note, it is the REAL world!

*most NYers don't own cars*

LMAO again!

YOUR view of NYer is incredibly limited. You want every to be so like you. To find that YOU are not NYC would just burst your bubble landing you flat on your ass in the middle of planet Earth!

Note cited stat: 45% own 1 or MORE cars.

Knock knock

Can we extrapolate?

How many NYers own just 1 vehicle?

Quite obviously the great majority.

Again:

Please step away frrom the latte, turn off your mobile device, exit starbucks, take the L train to the last stop Canarsie. Note, you are still on the planet Earth and within the bounds of NYC. Please make note of all the cars, driveways and garages. I know it hurts, but again, please extrapolate, there are DOZENS of such vast neighborhoods within the confines of NYC.

Now, lastly, step into the middle of the street, and before your narrow ass is slammed by a Maxima, please shout at the top of your lungs: I hate everyone who isn't ME!

Now, before it is too late, I suggest you run for your life. Realize though, you won't make it to safety without a car.....

Jcoltrane, native NYer, born and bred

Old 02-05-2012, 01:15 PM

143 posts, read 298,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
No, not everyone takes the subway. Not everyone commutes to Manhattan and there are plenty of New Yorkers who own cars (just go to any DMV in this city). But to say that people in a high income bracket don't take it is inaccurate.

There are a lot of six-, seven- and even eight-figure bank accounts working in the Financial District and Midtown and many of them live way way WAY out in the suburbs. They take the subway to Grand Central, Penn Station and the Port Authority all the time to get to the Metro North/LIRR/New Jersey Transit to go to their homes in Westchester, Nassau, Suffolk, Connecticut and New Jersey.

All walks of life take the subway.
Yep. Celebrities too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City